BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #23
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
You have no idea how excited I was before I clicked...
Apologies - The little BMW devil that sits on my left shoulder made me do it.

Unfortunately, body flexing/body trim noises are hard to trace and having a technician remove panels and further loosen things trying to find the source(s) can often just make the noises worse, but of course you already know that.

If the passenger door is moving slightly when closed causing sound, it's possible that a lock adjustment might help. For the other noises, sounds like* some disassembly is in order.
*no pun intended
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #24
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Judd

Mine had some creaking on the c pillar (or is it d pillar in these cars?) and this was an easy fix for the dealer with some tape applied in the right places. It came from where the trim cover met the boot/trunk cover fitment.

I have though now a constant or at least constant when on the move creak from the base if the windscreen. It is quiet as the radio on the lowest volume drowns it out but it is there and I know it's there so it needs to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #25
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

I am still getting a noise from my left front..
Gave it for check-up and the mechanic said the driver door panel did not "sit" properly and he re-did it.

I still hear the noise... going back tomorrow..

all this for a 2 week old car
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #26
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
Gave it for check-up and the mechanic said the driver door panel did not "sit" properly and he re-did it.

It's been reported that the front left suspension clunk is something characteristic of the VDC and we will just have to live with it for now. It is apparently no cause for concern. I used to get a more pronounced noise from my first F25 but on this second one it happens only occasionally and never on turns.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #27
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's been reported that the front left suspension clunk is something characteristic of the VDC and we will just have to live with it for now. It is apparently no cause for concern. I used to get a more pronounced noise from my first F25 but on this second one it happens only occasionally and never on turns.
Is VDC standard on both 28 and 35s?

My mechanic is now guessing that some panels may be rubbing against each other!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #28
Garax
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post

I have the exact same issue and have had my X3 at the dealer to remedy this THREE times, but they haven't solved the issue..It sounds like the window in the driver door is rattling in the doorframe when driving over potholes etc..But its so annoying because its coming right to your left ear when driving..The dealer have tried everything, they took the door down three times, installed new door panel clips, more soundproofing etc..

Now they have more or less given up and are trying to convince me that this is normal noise for the X3..the Service Manager actually told me that you can't expect the same german made quality from any X-series (except X1) since they are built in the US..that statement made me sick, because I had my doubts before buying the X3, but thought that the quality-control BMW have must be global..I guess not, according to their own people..

I have now owned the car for 8 weeks (waiting 6months for delivery)..its been at the workshop for 4 weeks for 4 problems already...no compensation for my troubles have been discussed or suggested and I feel that the dealer just wants to look the other way..I have never been so disappointed buying a new car..makes you wonder how much rattles and squeaking will come in 3-5 years time..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #29
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garax View Post
I have the exact same issue and have had my X3 at the dealer to remedy this THREE times, but they haven't solved the issue..It sounds like the window in the driver door is rattling in the doorframe when driving over potholes etc..But its so annoying because its coming right to your left ear when driving..The dealer have tried everything, they took the door down three times, installed new door panel clips, more soundproofing etc..

Now they have more or less given up and are trying to convince me that this is normal noise for the X3..the Service Manager actually told me that you can't expect the same german made quality from any X-series (except X1) since they are built in the US..that statement made me sick, because I had my doubts before buying the X3, but thought that the quality-control BMW have must be global..I guess not, according to their own people..

I have now owned the car for 8 weeks (waiting 6months for delivery)..its been at the workshop for 4 weeks for 4 problems already...no compensation for my troubles have been discussed or suggested and I feel that the dealer just wants to look the other way..I have never been so disappointed buying a new car..makes you wonder how much rattles and squeaking will come in 3-5 years time..
hmmm... I am giving my car next week... lets c what my dealer says... will keep u posted
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #30
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garax View Post
.the Service Manager actually told me that you can't expect the same german made quality from any X-series (except X1) since they are built in the US..that statement made me sick, because I had my doubts before buying the X3, but thought that the quality-control BMW have must be global..I guess not, according to their own people..
Would your SM like to come hear the same sound in my "German" made 535i? Or perhaps I could track down the people I sold my "American" made 2006 Ford Freestyle to in which he wouldn't hear a sound after 80,000 + miles. Bottom line-BMW are fun to drive, handle great, but IMHO are just not built that good.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #31
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

My X3 is pretty quiet. Only noise is a slight creak from the sunroof when I drive over the curb, while turning, at the end of my driveway. But then today I noticed this really small tick or vibration while driving 30 mph on city streets. It was pretty subtle and it wasn't constant but nearly any road imperfection triggered it. So I start to listen and it sounds like it's from under the dash but then I turn my head and I think it's pretty hard to tell where interior noises come from. The more I try to sleuth it out the more I think it comes from the BACK of the car. After i stopped I tried pulling on the rear cargo cover and rear seats. The center section of the rear seat back made some noise. Looking for a quick fix to do to test this I found a bandaid and put it on the black metal pole part of the seat back latching mechanism. Drove off... PROBLEM SOLVED. I'll have BMW do a better fix when I'm in next time. Point is it's tough to pin point car noises, they bounce all around the interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #32
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
You have no idea how excited I was before I clicked...
Judd, did you get the sunroof fixed eventually?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #33
wagsoja
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

I have the exact same clicking noise when going over bumps/potholes. It is coming from the sun roof and the tech said put some tape to try and fix it, which is did for a little while but now its back. I know its coming from the sun roof because when the sun shade is closed over the sunroof the sound stops. Its nothing major but once your aware of it, it just becomes very annoying. Coming up on my one year first oil change, and going to see what else they can do.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #34
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsoja View Post
I have the exact same clicking noise when going over bumps/potholes. It is coming from the sun roof and the tech said put some tape to try and fix it, which is did for a little while but now its back. I know its coming from the sun roof because when the sun shade is closed over the sunroof the sound stops. Its nothing major but once your aware of it, it just becomes very annoying. Coming up on my one year first oil change, and going to see what else they can do.
I have the exact same noise from the sunroof. They tried like 4 times to fix it, first 3 with no success but the last attempt seems to have made some progress for now. I still sometimes hear it , but not as frequently and distinctly as before.

I have the 320d loaner for the last 2 weeks because they have been working on my X3 to diagnose and solve the wind noise issue. I will be picking the truck up tomorrow and report in the wind noise thread, but one thing I realized in these two weeks and almost 3,000 kms of driving the E90 3 series is that even the 3 series is superior to F25 regarding the interior quality especially rattles-squeaks,creaks etc. I had to drive on really rough roads with lots of holes, bumps, all kinds of ingredients that would trigger any potential interior noise in a car, but still robust and silent.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #35
Coreyn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-3 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
Have the same issue with my sunroof. When its open its noisy over bumps and when the roof is closed its quiet. The black bar that runs in the middle of the glass seems to be the cause. When the car is in next for service i ll have them look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ural View Post
I have the exact same noise from the sunroof. They tried like 4 times to fix it, first 3 with no success but the last attempt seems to have made some progress for now. I still sometimes hear it , but not as frequently and distinctly as before.

I have the 320d loaner for the last 2 weeks because they have been working on my X3 to diagnose and solve the wind noise issue. I will be picking the truck up tomorrow and report in the wind noise thread, but one thing I realized in these two weeks and almost 3,000 kms of driving the E90 3 series is that even the 3 series is superior to F25 regarding the interior quality especially rattles-squeaks,creaks etc. I had to drive on really rough roads with lots of holes, bumps, all kinds of ingredients that would trigger any potential interior noise in a car, but still robust and silent.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #36
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyn View Post
Have the same issue with my sunroof. When its open its noisy over bumps and when the roof is closed its quiet. The black bar that runs in the middle of the glass seems to be the cause. When the car is in next for service i ll have them look at it.
Mine has been mostly silent since the latest fix, even with the shade open. "Knock on wood"
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #37
wagsoja
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

did they say what they did to fix it? The first time he tried to fix it he said he tried to put some velcro tape between the plastic parts so they wouldnt click but it has not seemed to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #38
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsoja View Post
did they say what they did to fix it? The first time he tried to fix it he said he tried to put some velcro tape between the plastic parts so they wouldnt click but it has not seemed to work.
Well, they didn't get into details, and I was more concentrated on the wind noise issue so I did not ask , and I don't have the courage to re-engineer it , but I will ask the chief technician next time my car is in.
Appreciate 0