BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Folding mirrors = closed sunroof shade

When the key fob is used to fold the mirrors, simultaneously the sunshade for the roof closes around 35%. This means if you fold the mirrors three times a day (as I have to parking in a narrow spot) the sunshade is annoyingly closed and has to be reopened at least daily. It is like a cross between Groundhog day and Wall-E ("Caution! Rogue robots)! My stealer says there is no way around this. Anyone know a way round this? Surely there must be a software option to untoggle somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

How do you fold the mirrors with the FOB?
      10-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Why not fold the mirrors using the interior control instead of the fob? This should be a separate logic path and not interfere with the shade.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
How do you fold the mirrors with the FOB?
How? Buy an X3 in the UK.

Sadly, it doesn't work in the US. In the UK, if you hold down the BMW logo on your key fob the mirrors fold. I don't know why the difference. Narrower streets? Different lawyers?

Try closing the rear hatch with your key fob. It doesn't work either. The "usual" airport security guy knows to push the button on the hatch after he inspects my rear cargo area.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Ledzep. The mirrors unfold on opening the door so can only be left folded via the fob. Clearly a software design issue. Yes, you want the roof to close by fob for security but not the shade. Ah for a software update (something Windows-related maybe?)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Re my last. You got me thinking. If you fold the mirrors then power down the car before you step out they do stay folded. This does not give you the Mercedes visual check that the doors are locked via folded mirrors but it does keep the sun shade open.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Why not fold the mirrors using the interior control instead of the fob? This should be a separate logic path and not interfere with the shade.
+1
      10-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
When the key fob is used to fold the mirrors, simultaneously the sunshade for the roof closes around 35%. This means if you fold the mirrors three times a day (as I have to parking in a narrow spot) the sunshade is annoyingly closed and has to be reopened at least daily. It is like a cross between Groundhog day and Wall-E ("Caution! Rogue robots)! My stealer says there is no way around this. Anyone know a way round this? Surely there must be a software option to untoggle somewhere?
Is at as much as 35%? I don't think mine closes that much. I'll check later!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
How? Buy an X3 in the UK.

Sadly, it doesn't work in the US. In the UK, if you hold down the BMW logo on your key fob the mirrors fold. I don't know why the difference. Narrower streets? Different lawyers?

Try closing the rear hatch with your key fob. It doesn't work either. The "usual" airport security guy knows to push the button on the hatch after he inspects my rear cargo area.
I can't recall if I have tried it with the X3, but in my previous BMW's, if you press and hold the "lock" button for several seconds, it will fold in the mirrors - even on U.S. models.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I can't recall if I have tried it with the X3, but in my previous BMW's, if you press and hold the "lock" button for several seconds, it will fold in the mirrors - even on U.S. models.
you haven't tried it because it definitely doesn't work on US model X3s. There was another thread on this and a few US owners all said it didn't work

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

And the above wisdom appears right in that the folding the mirrors appear to be on a different circuit if locked by internal button or the fob. The internal button seems to have priority, as you can unlock the car and open doors and boot IF the mirrors were folded by the internal button. Use the fob to fold and as soon as you unlock the pop out. Learn something every day!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And the above wisdom appears right in that the folding the mirrors appear to be on a different circuit if locked by internal button or the fob. The internal button seems to have priority, as you can unlock the car and open doors and boot IF the mirrors were folded by the internal button. Use the fob to fold and as soon as you unlock the pop out. Learn something every day!
I think the design logic is that if you fold from the interior switch, you have to re-open from the interior. If you fold by locking, they re-open when you unlock

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
you haven't tried it because it definitely doesn't work on US model X3s. There was another thread on this and a few US owners all said it didn't work
I'm sure I haven't. I may also be confusing functions. I might be thinking of the "insert key and move to lock position and hold" process. In the U.S. when you do that it will: Close the sunroof; close any open windows; fold in the mirrors. The reason we can't do it remotely via the fob is because in the U.S. we are too stupid and helpless to avoid decapitating our children with the windows. No shit... that's why.

Quote:
I think the design logic is that if you fold from the interior switch, you have to re-open from the interior. If you fold by locking, they re-open when you unlock
That is precisely correct.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure I haven't. I may also be confusing functions. I might be thinking of the "insert key and move to lock position and hold" process. In the U.S. when you do that it will: Close the sunroof; close any open windows; fold in the mirrors. The reason we can't do it remotely via the fob is because in the U.S. we are too stupid and helpless to avoid decapitating our children with the windows. No shit... that's why.
In that case it's only a matter of time before we follow suit in the UK. Look no further than McDonald's, shopping malls and litigation

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

I almost became trapped by a folding mirror once. Or was it an axe murderer? I forget. Anyway, maybe you can trick you car into thinking it is in the UK? Try only using your cupholders for tea, and if some mentions a crèche pretend to think it is a motor vehicle accident in Kensington. Do not use Tippex / Snowpake on the gps tho as that won't fool a German designed car.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In that case it's only a matter of time before we follow suit in the UK. Look no further than McDonald's, shopping malls and litigation
It is the latter of those, I'm afraid, that has created such silly laws in the U.S. We have a culture where no individual is responsible in any way for any of their actions or inactions. Hence, everything must be constructed of foam and covered with warning labels.

Quote:
I almost became trapped by a folding mirror once. Or was it an axe murderer? I forget. Anyway, maybe you can trick you car into thinking it is in the UK? Try only using your cupholders for tea, and if some mentions a crèche pretend to think it is a motor vehicle accident in Kensington. Do not use Tippex / Snowpake on the gps tho as that won't fool a German designed car.
I've been playing Monty Python videos via the iPhone dock, and that seems to have helped. Also been driving wearing fingerless gloves and practicing my old Oliver Twist lines...

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
I think this all makes perfect sense; if you use the internal switch then, while it won't always be the case, for safety the car should assume that you may have folded because you are moving the car into a confined space. In such a case it would not be safe to unfold until specifically directed by the driver through the switch. On the other hand, if the remote is used, then it should be safe to assume that this was done from outside of the car and that space is not an issue; safe therefore to unfold automatically when the unlock switch is pressed.
Yes?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Makes sense. But the sunroof shade closes by fob when folding the mirrors because .....?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Makes sense. But the sunroof shade closes by fob when folding the mirrors because .....?
Beats me.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
I think this all makes perfect sense; if you use the internal switch then, while it won't always be the case, for safety the car should assume that you may have folded because you are moving the car into a confined space. In such a case it would not be safe to unfold until specifically directed by the driver through the switch. On the other hand, if the remote is used, then it should be safe to assume that this was done from outside of the car and that space is not an issue; safe therefore to unfold automatically when the unlock switch is pressed.
Yes?
When I read this explanation, in my mind you had a German accent

Yes, I'm happy with the way it works.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine doesn't close at all if I release the lock button on the key fob as soon as the mirrors start to close. Just tried it twice and the sun blind is still fully open (despite mirrors folding and opening twice).

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine doesn't close at all if I release the lock button on the key fob as soon as the mirrors start to close. Just tried it twice and the sun blind is still fully open (despite mirrors folding and opening twice).
I should add that if I keep holding the button down after the mirrors start to close it will start to close the sun blind but I rarely do so that's why I hadn't noticed. I guess if the sunroof is open you have to hold the key fob lock button for longer to close the sunroof fully which will close the blind more

Appreciate 0