BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

All dash warnings lights came on

My 2011 X3 35i has now been in the shop for 3 weeks.

I was at a stop light when most of the warning lights came on in the dash (parking brake on, ABS failure, 4x4 problem, tire pressure problem, other things related to braking/traction, ...).

The dealer said some module was defective, and was backordered. I had to wait two weeks. Then they got it, installed it, and said "No, the module was fine, it's the diagnostic controller that was faulty and falsely said the module was faulty."

Now that one has been replaced, but they said that when they tried to program it, the computer crashed.

Today the dealer says that the car doesn't start now, and the computer still isn't working. They have apparently turned the matter over to BMW headquarters by letting the programmers there remote access the car (I guess it's plugged into something at the shop).

Week four begins. And I've been given a Toyota Corolla as a replacement vehicle.

Anyway, still no guess as to when (if?) it will ever be fixed. It apparently needs to be completely reprogrammed.

PS: Anyone know if any Bluetooth updates have come out since March 2011? My Bluetooth audio streaming (A2DP) was always a little flaky in that car.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

This is in Montreal, Canada.

Anyone have a similar experience? How was it resolved?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

It's a shame they stuck you in a Corolla, do they not at least loan you another BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Babbage
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
It's a shame they stuck you in a Corolla, do they not at least loan you another BMW?
I asked about that, and they could do it, but a BMW is considered a luxury car and if I want one I have to pay extra.

I guess the >$68,000 I paid for my super loaded X3 doesn't entitle me to any greater expectations.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

You should complain to BMW North America corporate.

My neighbors have a bare bones 3 series sedan and they always get a 3 or 5 series loaners when it's in for servicing.

I could see them making a point if you were out of warranty and they were being really cheap.. but for them to do that to you with the issues your having on a new car? Unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Sounds like the problem mentioned in this thread:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498221

tho it did not say tire pressure problem on that thread, the transfer case seemed to be the problem. Hopefully yours will be fixed soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Nicktian
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M package

My car did the same thing, the dealer reinstall the computer and re program every thing, but it still happen. I am in Canada too. Can we complain it is lemon car and let them change it?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Babbage
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktian View Post
the dealer reinstall the computer and re program every thing, but it still happen. I am in Canada too. Can we complain it is lemon
My dealer is trying to reprogram the computer now, and they've had the car over 3 weeks. But reading the thread mentioned above, it looks like the proper answer is to change the transfer case.

We don't have a lemon law in Canada, but there are other consumer protection laws available (depending on province).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
You should complain to BMW North America corporate.

My neighbors have a bare bones 3 series sedan and they always get a 3 or 5 series loaners when it's in for servicing.

I could see them making a point if you were out of warranty and they were being really cheap.. but for them to do that to you with the issues your having on a new car? Unacceptable.
Some dealers in Canada only provide rental cars.....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Babbage, what was the final "fix" determined by the service department?

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
Babbage
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Babbage, what was the final "fix" determined by the service department?
I believe it's "Replaced ZGM and reprogrammed". "ZGM" is some computer piece. I don't know any more, except that keeping my X3 35i for weeks and giving me a Corolla in exchange, and charging me $20 for the Corolla is not impressing me.

The dealer staff was nice and friendly, but there's definitely something crappy about this.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage View Post
I believe it's "Replaced ZGM and reprogrammed". "ZGM" is some computer piece. I don't know any more, except that keeping my X3 35i for weeks and giving me a Corolla in exchange, and charging me $20 for the Corolla is not impressing me.

The dealer staff was nice and friendly, but there's definitely something crappy about this.
In BMW talk, the ZGM is the "Zentral Gateway Module" or "Central Gateway Module" for those without a German accent. Commonly referred to as the CPU or main computer by the rest of the world. I guess the BMW engineers confuse "Z"s with "C"s.

It's really a shame that BMW doesn't have a corporate policy regarding loaner vehicles. The policy is set by the individual dealer franchises. In most "big city" US dealerships, a BMW loaner vehicle will be given to a customer who is having warrantee work done at the original "purchase" store. If you purchased elsewhere, most US dealers will be reluctant to offer a free loaner. When my X3 was in for approximately (2) weeks we were given a new (300 miles) 328i xDrive and then a new (50 miles) 535i. The only limit our dealer put on the loaner was a maximum of 150 miles per day use. If that average was exceeded the loaner/rental contract specified a $50/day charge.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:02 AM   #12
Paulx3
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2007

X3 with many warninglights

My X3 has exactly the same problem. Was yours sorted with a new CPU and what was the cost. Cheers.
Appreciate 0