BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
stlgirl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 28i X3

List of technical service bulletins?

Does anyone know where to find these? I want to see if there are any software updates on our X3s. May be too early for there to be any updates but I'd like to know if there is a reliable site so that I can review it and put in in my internet faves.
Thx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgirl View Post
Does anyone know where to find these? I want to see if there are any software updates on our X3s. May be too early for there to be any updates but I'd like to know if there is a reliable site so that I can review it and put in in my internet faves.
Thx in advance.
They're generally kept quiet. But I can ask a friend of mine. What specifically are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
stlgirl
Private
United_States
Rep

Hi MA78-so, I am having this issue with braking. When I come to a stop (generally a soft, very deliberate stop), the car jerks. I tried to look around on the internet and found that BMW used to program in something called "soft stop." Apparently a lot of drivers had it disengaged from their computer systems and ended up having much smoother brake performance. I am just wondering if this is present on our cars? I am really feathering the brakes and being very careful not to stop abruptly--still getting this lurching forward then back activity. It's totally annoying--to the point that I may get rid of the car...seriously. It will be a lot of money down the drain but I can't stand to drive this thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

I'll ask my friend and get back to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

If you're familiar with another BMW and it's that bad, seems like there's gotta be something wrong there. Nothing like that with mine.
      04-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

According to my friend-a master tech at a large dealership-there hasn't been a service bulletin for this. He hasn't seen any X3s come in for anything similar, and they've sold quite a few.

FWIW, I thought mine downshifted a little rough too. Especially going down into first and second. But it's soothed out as I've driven it. Adapted Drive maybe?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
stlgirl
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
According to my friend-a master tech at a large dealership-there hasn't been a service bulletin for this. He hasn't seen any X3s come in for anything similar, and they've sold quite a few.

FWIW, I thought mine downshifted a little rough too. Especially going down into first and second. But it's soothed out as I've driven it. Adapted Drive maybe?
Thanks MA78. I'm going to try to tough it out for a little--I'm glad to hear that yours has smoothed out on the downshift a bit. Maybe I just need to give mine time.
By the way, I hate to impose but do you think you might be able to ask your friend who is a master tech. another question for me? I wanted to know if the "soft stop" feature is something that is programmed in software of these new x3s. Thanks again MA!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
JamesBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

I have ~1,300 miles now and today I noticed the downshift on stop is much smoother now. It no longer gives the head jerk in normal mode anymore (I'll need to verify sport mode).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

I'm not going to assume the my downshifting "jerk" is anything like the OPs. Because, to me, it was nearly unnoticeable. It was just kinda like, "hmm, that was not as smooth as I would expect..." But it wasn't so bad that I ever would have considered taking it to the dealership. I just kinda assumed that that is how this transmission works. It should be mentioned that this is the first AT I've owned...ever. My last two BMWs were manual, so harsh downshifting (user end) is normal for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

For me the smoothness of the car really depends on the temperature. If the car is cold, I will feel a jerk both when I'm about to stop and when I release the brakes as I accelerate. When the car is warm, this only happens when stopping but starting is very smooth. This is far less pronounced than what used to happen with my Ford Edge, though.

I come from a standard background, wherein when I want to start a car smoothly, I will release the clutch softly while accelerating ever so slightly and then increasingly more as the car gains speed (we're talking the first three second, tops). When I brake, I downshift but before coming to a full stop I'll disengage the clutch and modulate the brakes.

Stopping with the X3 is always a bit jerky. The transmission downshifts and the brake energy regeneration disengages just before stopping. The two opposing forces are not balanced. As a result, one has to sense this change before it happens and modulate the brakes very precisely to ensure a smooth stop. I consider this a necessary evil of efficient dynamics, but I would never accept it in a 7-series car, because it makes the driver look clumsy.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

To kind of confirm it's the transmission, put the lever over in sport mode, and see if the issue is still there, but at different points of speed as you're stopping. The upshift and downshift points are different in sport mode than when the transmission is in "Normal" mode.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
stlgirl
Private
United_States
Rep

well i was out and about today and found that if, after braking normally, i ease up on the brake pedal ever so slightly, stops are a lot more smooth. someone in this forum suggested this and it does really help. going to allow this car to "train" me. it's diff't from my 325xi but i guess that it ought to be. thanks for all of the help everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well i was out and about today and found that if, after braking normally, i ease up on the brake pedal ever so slightly, stops are a lot more smooth. someone in this forum suggested this and it does really help. going to allow this car to "train" me. it's diff't from my 325xi but i guess that it ought to be. thanks for all of the help everyone.
That makes me think it may just be your breaks getting broken in. This might explain why the problem just goes away over time for most.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Braking can be broken down into 3 stages, gently apply the brakes, increase force as required, gently release braking force when slowing to a halt, i.e, soft-hard-soft.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
stlgirl
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks Ant Man-I never felt like I did this with my 325xi but then again, by the time I sold it, it was 8 yrs old and maybe I just don't remember the early days with it.
I guess all of these drive a little differently too.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks MA78. I'm going to try to tough it out for a little--I'm glad to hear that yours has smoothed out on the downshift a bit. Maybe I just need to give mine time.
By the way, I hate to impose but do you think you might be able to ask your friend who is a master tech. another question for me? I wanted to know if the "soft stop" feature is something that is programmed in software of these new x3s. Thanks again MA!
He says that it would be hard to find out without dissecting the code in the CPU. That's out of his scope of practice.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
stlgirl
Private
United_States
Rep

oh thanks for checking MA78!
Appreciate 0