BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
kmedina
Loves BMW
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Vehicle Preparation Center

I have seen some old threads but was wondering about how much time people who ordered in 2011 had their cars at the VPC. It seems like the ones that are there longer tend to be damaged. How much time was your car at the VPC? Did the dealer mention any damage (only required if over $3600, I think)?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
This really doesn't apply to the X3 does it? I don't believe the US built cars will go to the VPC - this is for those vehicles transported on ships. Honestly, I could be wrong, but the main purpose for the VPC is to remove all the cosmolene, do an inspection, repair any damage, and coordinate ground transportation.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Beesting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

My status shows "at Vehicle Prep center", but in fact is in transit to the West Coast (confirmed by dealer). I'm not sure the status bars on the website work for US-built cars. My car completely skipped "In Transit" according to the website.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

My CA just emailed me early that my car had finish production and was awaiting transportation. I did ask if the car was going to Port Hueneme(West Coast Prep Center), first as a distribution point, then down to San Deigo. I'll post when I get an answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

What is the VPC and what do they do to the vechical? Or is it just a holding place waiting to be transported to it destination?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerrunner View Post
What is the VPC and what do they do to the vechical? Or is it just a holding place waiting to be transported to it destination?
See my post #2 above.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
kmedina
Loves BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
This really doesn't apply to the X3 does it? I don't believe the US built cars will go to the VPC - this is for those vehicles transported on ships. Honestly, I could be wrong, but the main purpose for the VPC is to remove all the cosmolene, do an inspection, repair any damage, and coordinate ground transportation.
My X3 has been in VPC status for almost 3 weeks. My production video showing it is done finished about the same time. It was built in South Carolina. I am wondering why it is taking so long in this status. I have not called the dealer, because lurking here for a month I noticed they do not give real answers. I wanted to ask someone who had personal experience with it. Maybe, it just says VPC while it is transporting as a pp mentioned, but three weeks to move from South Carolina to Vegas with no updates on when it will arrive sounds strange unless there was damage on the truck during transport. Hopefully, it is something else. From lurking, I've learned that long delays (from South Carolina) at the VPC usually equal damage. Other posts say they do not even have to report damage unless it is in excess of $3600, so I may never know what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
pfeng17
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i sedan

in US, at VPC just means it's on a truck/train and being transported. My car finished production on a Monday and is on a truck on the same day, at the same time, online status changed to VPC. Arrived at dealer on Thursday, I'm on east coast though.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
kmedina
Loves BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeng17 View Post
in US, at VPC just means it's on a truck/train and being transported. My car finished production on a Monday and is on a truck on the same day, at the same time, online status changed to VPC. Arrived at dealer on Thursday, I'm on east coast though.
Good to know and officially jealous. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
My X3 has been in VPC status for almost 3 weeks. My production video showing it is done finished about the same time. It was built in South Carolina. I am wondering why it is taking so long in this status. I have not called the dealer, because lurking here for a month I noticed they do not give real answers. I wanted to ask someone who had personal experience with it. Maybe, it just says VPC while it is transporting as a pp mentioned, but three weeks to move from South Carolina to Vegas with no updates on when it will arrive sounds strange unless there was damage on the truck during transport. Hopefully, it is something else. From lurking, I've learned that long delays (from South Carolina) at the VPC usually equal damage. Other posts say they do not even have to report damage unless it is in excess of $3600, so I may never know what is going on.
Your CA knows the status of your car, call them. Haven't heard back from my CA the questions I mentioned above. But my car was completed Monday or Tuesday and jumped en route and to prep center today. My guess is that they may move them to the west coast by rail to the prep center using it as a distribution hub for the west. From there they can transport different models to each region when they have a full truck. It would be very inefficient to truck a few X3 here and there.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
kmedina
Loves BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Your CA knows the status of your car, call them. Haven't heard back from my CA the questions I mentioned above. But my car was completed Monday or Tuesday and jumped en route and to prep center today. My guess is that they may move them to the west coast by rail to the prep center using it as a distribution hub for the west. From there they can transport different models to each region when they have a full truck. It would be very inefficient to truck a few X3 here and there.
That is a good point. I will call next week if I have not heard anything by then.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
kmedina
Loves BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
That is a good point. I will call next week if I have not heard anything by then.
It was at the dealer the next day. I picked it up on Saturday. The dealer did not mention any damage, and I did not notice any. Hopefully, all is well.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
REZ-RACER
Rep
Drives: C63

I didn't want to make a new thread about this.
My X3 shows that it is at the Preparation Center.
How long does it usually take to get to the dealer
im in San Diego.
Appreciate 0