BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
cruiling
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3

2017 X3 weird problem replacing halogen to LED

Greetings everyone!

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have a weird problem after replacing the halogen DRL with LED on my 2017 X3 and i hope someone can help me figure out what's going on.

i got the warning message after replacing the halogen DRL with LED, i know this might happen with some LEDs, so i removed the LED and put the halogen bulb back. However, the weird thing is, the halogen bulb won't light up, and i still have that warning message. It feels like something cut the power of that bulb, is this even possible? or may be the fuse is blown ? what can i do?

And, could someone recommend a W21W LED that does not have the warning message?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
cruiling
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3

UPDATE:

The problem is solved. I was trying to identify where the problem is, so i swapped the driver side and passenger side halogen bulb, now both DRL bulb light up and the warning message is gone. But the whole situation is very confusing, and i still don't know what happened.

now back to where i started, could anyone recommend a LED that does not have warning message?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiling View Post
UPDATE:

The problem is solved. I was trying to identify where the problem is, so i swapped the driver side and passenger side halogen bulb, now both DRL bulb light up and the warning message is gone. But the whole situation is very confusing, and i still don't know what happened.

now back to where i started, could anyone recommend a LED that does not have warning message?
You will get the dash warning with ANY LED replacement bulb.

You will need to code out the warnings with either a laptop and Esys or with a smartphone and BimmerCode app.
      11-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiling View Post
UPDATE:

Let us know what bulbs you end up using, and maybe post pics of the finished outcome? I've been wanting to do this myself, but haven't figured out exactly what bulbs to buy and if it's really worth it. Most people say the LED conversion isn't worth it as the throw distance can be significantly worse than halogen as well as the potential to blind oncoming drivers if they aren't releveled properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Tgsmith4845
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 xDrive50i

Has anyone had any lock coding out the daytime running lamp malfunction alert after installing LEDs?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Does not appear to me BimmerCode will do what you require; these are the options available in one of two menus related to daytime driving lights; the other menu enables one to set light output intensity as % of full scale value.

I recall in swapping in LEDs in place of original halogen backup bulbs I needed to code off the warm/cold checking functions to insure proper operation, and there was a selection of bulb type (halogen, LED) as I recall. I don't see those options available for headlamps.

Hope this makes sense/helps,m
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgsmith4845 View Post
Has anyone had any lock coding out the daytime running lamp malfunction alert after installing LEDs?
Which bulb did you end up buying? And is your DRL not the same as your low beam? It seems in my X3, that the DRLs are using the same bulb as my low beam.
Appreciate 0