BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-31-2019, 03:33 AM   #1
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Bunch of fault codes

I decided to start working on my X3 since free maints are done. First time pull codes with Rheingold and came up with this bunch of error codes. The ones related to drive train and mainboard got me really nervous.

Wondering if anyone encountered similar fault codes and how to get them resolved.

my X3 is N20 xDrive with 36k miles on clock.

thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I assume your car runs correctly and has no issues? Weird that some are recorded at mileage your car has not reached yet. But assuming the car is fine, there is nothing to resolve. Click on that clear fault memory button at the bottom of the screen. They probably will not return.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
You can scan a brand new car and find faults. Almost normal. If the car doesn't seem broken don't get to worried about them.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
dat1guy
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i 2016

I bought my 2016 X3 last year from a dealership and the first time I went to an indy he told me about a bunch of codes when he scanned. He thought it was weird but cleared them and don't expect them to come back.

I did do module updates using esys and also bimmercode coding and I feel like maybe this triggers some faults that are not cleared up.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I assume your car runs correctly and has no issues? Weird that some are recorded at mileage your car has not reached yet. But assuming the car is fine, there is nothing to resolve. Click on that clear fault memory button at the bottom of the screen. They probably will not return.
My Rheingold shows millage in KM. I converted to miles and the latest one is about 5 miles before I parked.

I kind of have a feeling the low voltage ones might be due to frequent stop-start at traffic lights. Gonna erase them and see if the 3 reappear.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post
You can scan a brand new car and find faults. Almost normal. If the car doesn't seem broken don't get to worried about them.
The car is running just fine. A recent thing is start-up idle is higher at ~1.2K rpm as opposed to 800 ish in the past, regardless of winter or summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat1guy View Post
I bought my 2016 X3 last year from a dealership and the first time I went to an indy he told me about a bunch of codes when he scanned. He thought it was weird but cleared them and don't expect them to come back.

I did do module updates using esys and also bimmercode coding and I feel like maybe this triggers some faults that are not cleared up.
I have not gotten that far with coding. Mostly to get myself familiar with diagnosis. X3 is my GF's DD, just can't mess it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
joshaguirre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive28i F25

That's definitely odd. My advice would be to take pictures of all faults, see which ones are active, then clear the error memory on the entire car. From there see which ones come back then go from there.

By glancing at the codes it seems that many of those issues are spread out around the car and not in one central place which makes me wonder if they are all connected to the same module and that the module might be going bad...possibly due to water intrusion perhaps?

Again, I'm just speculating but for your car only having 36K miles I couldn't imagine all of those codes are legit...start process and elimination and go from there...hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
dat1guy
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by romero1990 View Post
X3 is my GF's DD, just can't mess it up.
Same... except I couldn't live with the idea of not running the latest software in all the internal modules. Déformation professionnelle. As for coding with bimmercode it's basically only flipping switches in configuration files so it's pretty safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I decided to start working on my X3 since free maints are done. First time pull codes with Rheingold and came up with this bunch of error codes. The ones related to drive train and mainboard got me really nervous.

Wondering if anyone encountered similar fault codes and how to get them resolved. my X3 is N20 xDrive with 36k miles on clock. thanks
The under voltage errors may indicate a battery that is on its way out, meaning its ok while driving but drains when parked for a while. Have you measured it? Its located under the cover that is under the cargo cover, two plastic quarter turn screws and you can lift the battery cover. If you can, use a meter that can put a load on the battery and you will want to read about 13 volts, slightly higher with the engine running. You can also put a volt meter on it without the engine running and just put your car in accessory mode (start button without pressing the brake) and see what your battery reads. Anything below 12 volts is suspect.

If you have a dash cam or anything else that might be running while the car is off, that will drain it. When not driving mine, I always keep it on a battery tender. My battery is 9 yrs old and in good shape, I've had batteries last 14 yrs this way :-)

If you battery is marginal, it will cause all sorts of weird but meaningless codes to be thrown. Anyway, just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #10
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:

Wondering if anyone encountered similar fault codes and how to get them resolved. my X3 is N20 xDrive with 36k miles on clock. thanks
The under voltage errors may indicate a battery that is on its way out, meaning its ok while driving but drains when parked for a while. Have you measured it? Its located under the cover that is under the cargo cover, two plastic quarter turn screws and you can lift the battery cover. If you can, use a meter that can put a load on the battery and you will want to read about 13 volts, slightly higher with the engine running. You can also put a volt meter on it without the engine running and just put your car in accessory mode (start button without pressing the brake) and see what your battery reads. Anything below 12 volts is suspect.

If you have a dash cam or anything else that might be running while the car is off, that will drain it. When not driving mine, I always keep it on a battery tender. My battery is 9 yrs old and in good shape, I've had batteries last 14 yrs this way :-)

If you battery is marginal, it will cause all sorts of weird but meaningless codes to be thrown. Anyway, just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:

I did wonder if it was caused by low battery. I looked into the occurrence log, the very first low voltage happened at 7K miles. Unless it is a defect battery, it's hard to say battery is the main cause here. But I'll still get it measured and see what happens.

I also wonder if it happens at start-stop at traffic light. The millage occurred is in the middle of a trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I did wonder if it was caused by low battery. I looked into the occurrence log, the very first low voltage happened at 7K miles. Unless it is a defect battery, it's hard to say battery is the main cause here. But I'll still get it measured and see what happens.

I also wonder if it happens at start-stop at traffic light. The millage occurred is in the middle of a trip.
If it were mine, I'd save the error codes now, and since you have already taken a screen shot, then you got them. Then I would clear all faults and verify that they are all gone. Then drive it as normal and every couple of days, look to see which faults, if any, come back. Take notes on how the car performs and if it performs as expected, I wouldn't worry much about the faults provided they don't have a performance degradation.

I just measured my 9 yr old battery...12.52 volts with engine off and 12.9 with it on. I have no clue if I have any faults in the system because the car performs as expected so I have never looked :-)
Appreciate 0