BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
lyntonhu
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 30D

X3 Driving Experience Control

Hi all,

Just registered to the forum, and I have been checking information here for a while when I decided to purchase a X3 to suit my family needs.

I live in Perth, WA. I decided to order either a X3 30D or 28i (4-cylinder) with M-Sport package next week.

Just looked at the BMW Auto Classic website and found out they have posted the X3 specification guide with prices for optional stuff.

In the PDF, it states that Driving Experience Control (ECO PRO, Comfort and Sport) is standard across all X3 models. My question is how is it different from Variable Damper Control (Normal, Sport and Sport+) which costs $1600AUD extra? It seems to be a new standard equipment.

Another question regarding the BMW paint, coz I am thinking to go with Alphine white, which isn't a metallic paint, could anyone who owns Alpine white shed some lights on how the paint is compare to metallic paint? Is it easier to scratch etc.?

My current choices are:
- M-Sport
- Dynamic damper control
- Sunroof
- Bi-xenon light
- Navigation professional (8.8inch iso 8.5inch now?)

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

If you are serious about driving, ie. an enthusiast, go for the extra bucks for the variable dampers. If not an enthusiast, don't bother, it's fine without them.

I don't presently have Alpine White, but had it recently on 2 other BMWs, and like it a lot. Not any more prone to scratchs than other colors, and shows them less than the dark colors IMO.

The X3 looks in AW.
      04-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Diving Experience Contol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyntonhu View Post
Hi all,

Just registered to the forum, and I have been checking information here for a while when I decided to purchase a X3 to suit my family needs.

I live in Perth, WA. I decided to order either a X3 30D or 28i (4-cylinder) with M-Sport package next week.

Just looked at the BMW Auto Classic website and found out they have posted the X3 specification guide with prices for optional stuff.

In the PDF, it states that Driving Experience Control (ECO PRO, Comfort and Sport) is standard across all X3 models. My question is how is it different from Variable Damper Control (Normal, Sport and Sport+) which costs $1600AUD extra? It seems to be a new standard equipment.

Another question regarding the BMW paint, coz I am thinking to go with Alphine white, which isn't a metallic paint, could anyone who owns Alpine white shed some lights on how the paint is compare to metallic paint? Is it easier to scratch etc.?

My current choices are:
- M-Sport
- Dynamic damper control
- Sunroof
- Bi-xenon light
- Navigation professional (8.8inch iso 8.5inch now?)

Many thanks
Not sure about "Driving Experience Control" but Drive PERFORMANCE Control was brought in as a standard feature effective week 14 build which led to me accepting a later build so as to get the feature. I am collecting mine next week and will be in a better position to answer your question, but it is quite seperate to variable damper control which is the suspension adjustment feature. As far as I am aware, it only effects 'steering feel, throttle and engine response' [to quote official description] though I have to wait and see as BMW literature here in the UK is not always consistent and indeed sometimes incorrect in its definitions of options.

I have gone for Alpine White partly because it should be easier to cover scratches etc, than a metallic paint, it looks smarter (to me) and because I refused to pay an exhorbitant sum for metallic

Rich4
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

The Eco-Pro button will do nothing to the suspension UNLESS you purchase the dynamic dampers.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

PC also biases drive more towards the rear wheels.
      04-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyntonhu View Post

I'd go for the Diesel, very good balance between performance and fuel economy ;-)

The "Driving Experience Control" affects steering, gearbox and throttle response.

It hardens the steering wheel, it makes the auto gearbox shift at higher revs and responds to your pressure on the accelerator with more reactivity than in normal mode.

IF (and only IF) you also have the Variable Dampers Control it also hardens the dampers response.

But you can configure the way your car sets up when you select the Sport or Sport+ modes through the navigator screens (steering only, gearbox only etc...)

The ECO PRO mode goes to the opposite direction in terms of engine control and throttle response and shifts gears as soon as possible to gain some mpg.

It has also some new "features" on the navigator that show how much you have gained with respect to the "forecast" by driving "correctly" and can pop some messages inviting you not to accelerate too hard or brake too hard... or to limit your max speed, these messages can be disabled ;-)
Appreciate 0