BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

New owner with questions

Just picked up a used 2012 X3 35i msport. Drove from Dallas to Amarillo to Wash DC and put on 2000 miles without any issues. Averaged 27mpg through the trip on Costco 93 gas, had a few 100mph runs through Texas without any drama!

I was planning to change the oil, I'm reading in the manual that 0w30 is recommended, are you guys using this or can the 0w40s be used from Mobil or Castrol?

Coming from a e91 xdrive, i don't see anything about the automatic tranny, transfer case and differential fluids needing to be changed, are these maintenance items?

Is there supposed to be any tool kit, i see a compartment under the false floor in the rear but mine was empty.

My only concern with the X3 are the brakes, as they seem to be weak (no initial strong bite) which is uncommon for a BMW, do you guys recommend any upgrade or particular brake pad to remedy this?

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

This is a bit of a sensitive issue - I will give you mine opinion.

I - and BMW - recommend Castrol - others recommend Mobil 1.

0w40 should be OK, but why not 0w30? Long Life.

I recommend not to touch gearbox/transmission/AWD - can do more damage than help.

No toolbox.

I am very happy with initial bite, brake pedal feel and overall brake/ABS performance - others are not.

Note: most car manufacturer use different brake pad material US/EU due to Autobahn.

Best bet to improve brakes is, probably, to go for these from X4 M40i. You probably need 19" rims.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Maybe the brakes lines have air pockets..if it was sitting for a long time
if still under warranty have service dept check, adjust pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
This is a bit of a sensitive issue - I will give you mine opinion.

I - and BMW - recommend Castrol - others recommend Mobil 1.

0w40 should be OK, but why not 0w30? Long Life.

I recommend not to touch gearbox/transmission/AWD - can do more damage than help.

No toolbox.

I am very happy with initial bite, brake pedal feel and overall brake/ABS performance - others are not.

Note: most car manufacturer use different brake pad material US/EU due to Autobahn.

Best bet to improve brakes is, probably, to go for these from X4 M40i. You probably need 19" rims.
BMW is no longer recommending Castrol oils.

I would absolutely service the transmission and the transfer case. There is no such thing as lifetime fluid. I did both of mine myself at 60k miles. The transmission fluid looked okay and probably could have gone to 100k miles but the transfer case fluid was disgusting. I will probably do that one again in 50k miles. If you want these components to last I would definitely service them.

I like the brake feel on my car but I know many people complain about it, but I may not be as picky as most, the EPS feels okay to me as well so I am definitely in the minority with these opinions.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907431.00
      12-03-2016, 01:10 AM   #5
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Barbera, interesting.

Transfer case contains the clutches which are the heart of the AWD system, and includes ability to - more or less - slip. It makes sense that there could be "debries" there. I have read in other X3 thread, that changing fluid in transfer case is tricky - what is your experience?

BMW dealer in Sweden used Castrol this summer for first- free - oil change.

I did use Mobil 1,until I found out that Mobil 1 is a trademark, that is used for various specifications/qualities around the world.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
BMW recommends certain BMW branded oils or aftermarket oils with certain manufacturers with whom BMW has arrangements. The BMW recommended aftermarket brand of oil has changed from time to time.

Until 2015, oils that I found were suggested to meet BMW standards included BMW TwinPower Turbo Engine Oils, Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 and Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30. From 1999 through 2014 Castrol supplied the oil sold by BMW. Shell (including Shell's Pennzoil brand) now has an arrangement to be BMW's recommended aftermarket motor oil supplier.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/05/12/pe...r-bmw-engines/

Do you use the oil recommended for your X3 when it was manufactured or change to the current recommended oils offered by BMW or Shell/Pennzoil? My expectation is that any of the recommended oils would be fine. An oil that meets long life tests (LL-01 certification) is recommended if you will follow BMW's extended oil change intervals. I expect a BMW dealer would use its current BMW branded oil formulation made by Shell of the appropriate viscosity if servicing your 2012 X3.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bm...ier-88737.html

There is some discussion of the BMW branded oils vs Pennzoil and Castrol products at the following link:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/4010356/1
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Mike, very interesting.

According to your supplied INFO, BMW changed to Shell during 2015 - my car is built 2014.

I would not risk changing to oil, which might have better cleaning ability - that could release dirt in engine.

I asked - out of habit - which oil dealer used at oil change. Luckily it was Castrol - but I got no INFO about BMW changing oil from 2015.

Since next oilchange/service will not be free, I am turning to nearby ex-BMW mechanic. I will obviously make sure he uses Castrol.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Mike, very interesting.

According to your supplied INFO, BMW changed to Shell during 2015 - my car is built 2014.

I would not risk changing to oil, which might have better cleaning ability - that could release dirt in engine.

I asked - out of habit - which oil dealer used at oil change. Luckily it was Castrol - but I got no INFO about BMW changing oil from 2015.

Since next oilchange/service will not be free, I am turning to nearby ex-BMW mechanic. I will obviously make sure he uses Castrol.
If it was me, I would not worry about the name on the tin or plastic container or however it is purchased, because they are the same if to the same specification. There will be no difference in cleaning ability no matter who makes it.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Mike, very interesting.

I understand my BMW dealer uses the latest recommended BMW branded oil, unlike what your dealer told you. So a switch from BMW's Castrol oil formulation to BMW's Shell oil formulation would have occurred in my case in 2015 for my 2010 BMW 535ix.

I understand your desire to continue to use the same Castrol oil in your X3. However, even if you use the same brand, the formulation and additives may change from time to time as technology continues to evolve. I also wonder what changes BP may have motivated after it acquired Castrol or Exxon made in Mobil 1 after its acquisition. Fortunately, modern synthetic oils leave relatively few deposits in the engine and are well designed to suspend contaminants.

In the US, the API engine oil classifications have changed through the years with related changes in formulations. I suspect this is the case in Europe as well. Fortunately, for those wanting to continue to use the same motor oil it may take many years for significant changes to be introduced.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

Last edited by MichiganMike; 12-05-2016 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Clarify
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post
Just picked up a used 2012 X3 35i msport. Drove from Dallas to Amarillo to Wash DC and put on 2000 miles without any issues. Averaged 27mpg through the trip on Costco 93 gas, had a few 100mph runs through Texas without any drama!

I was planning to change the oil, I'm reading in the manual that 0w30 is recommended, are you guys using this or can the 0w40s be used from Mobil or Castrol?

Coming from a e91 xdrive, i don't see anything about the automatic tranny, transfer case and differential fluids needing to be changed, are these maintenance items?

Is there supposed to be any tool kit, i see a compartment under the false floor in the rear but mine was empty.

My only concern with the X3 are the brakes, as they seem to be weak (no initial strong bite) which is uncommon for a BMW, do you guys recommend any upgrade or particular brake pad to remedy this?

Thanks for any help.
I used to have an E90 with sport package and I know that feel, the brakes are weak on the F25. I think because overall it's a heavier car. A big SUV that requires more brake power than a normal sedan or wagon. I got a F30 loaner, and the brakes and 50/50 weight distribution brought back memories of my old E90. The nimbleness and brake bite were impeccable. But overtime you will get used to the F25 brakes, if not go aftermarket, unfortunately not to many options.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 01:14 AM   #11
Tjalle
Major
Rep

I have read all of above - thanks.

I believe it is prudent - in my case - to keep to Castrol.

Whatever car I buy in the future, I will go the same route - stay with Original engine oil.

The original question was also about transmission oils, and Barbera pointed out that oil in his transfer case had been "disgusting".

I have thought about it, and even if it is not something I will recommend, I will not change oil in transmission- none of it. Reason is that "all others were clean". I believe that, what was in transfer box is residuals from AWD clutches, which should not harm clutches nor simple gearings in transfer box. My understanding is that, unlike AUTO, there are no valves in transfer box. I have two cars and will not reach 100k km.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #12
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

thanks for the feedback, I've actually juggled between both the Mobil and Castrol 0w-40s in my 911 without any issues for the last 6 years and can't imagine the X3 is more brand critical of oil requirement than a 911.

I managed to get a quart of the BMW Transfer case fluid and plan to change it as TF issues plague BMWs. Can this simply be drained and refilled, or is there some kind of software reset required for the Transfer case clutch pack to compensate for the new fluid?
Appreciate 0