BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

Valet Key

Is there a valet key available for the X3?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post
Funny you ask b/c I was just wondering that myself last night... I was going i my X and saw the key opening on the driver's door and thought, "well that's kinda useless considering our fobs don't have actual keys on them"
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
Quote:
Funny you ask b/c I was just wondering that myself last night... I was going i my X and saw the key opening on the driver's door and thought, "well that's kinda useless considering our fobs don't have actual keys on them"
There is an actual key inside the fob. Just squeeze and pull it apart. All BMWs are this way.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

right but I'm thinking more like a key that keeps center console/glovebox/trunk locked.
Bonus if it limits rev and distance

I valet everyday so I'd be willing to buy such a key if it doesn't come with the car...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
There is an actual key inside the fob. Just squeeze and pull it apart. All BMWs are this way.
OH!!! Duh....I didn't realize that... thx!!!

Still wonder though if an "actual" valet key exist for what other user wrote. Now I'm wondering why my CA didn't bother showing the fob pulling apart..thx for that!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
right but I'm thinking more like a key that keeps center console/glovebox/trunk locked.
Bonus if it limits rev and distance

I valet everyday so I'd be willing to buy such a key if it doesn't come with the car...
The metal key that you use to open the driver's door is the same key for the glove box and trunk. No lock on center console so no need for a key, the trunk isn't enclosed so even if one does lock the trunk it can always be opened with the switch or reached from the back seats. The only real safe place to keep valuables especially when valeting is the glove box, it's the one place that can't be opened except with the metal key.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
The metal key that you use to open the driver's door is the same key for the glove box and trunk. No lock on center console so no need for a key, the trunk isn't enclosed so even if one does lock the trunk it can always be opened with the switch or reached from the back seats. The only real safe place to keep valuables especially when valeting is the glove box, it's the one place that can't be opened except with the metal key.
The metal key allows access to the inside of the car if the battery fails in the "remote key". However the metal key won't start the car. You still need the "remote key". It will start the car even with a dead key battery if you carefully place it in contact with the marked position on the side of the steering column.

There is no "Valet key" as such. You can purchase up to (2) additional "remote keys" from your BMW dealer. Cost is approximately $350 (each) plus an additional $100 to $150 for programming the key and the car's anti theft system to accept it.

Last edited by Lotus7; 06-13-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Please see this thread for more about the X3 keys:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527259

P.S. Valets and parking attendants LOVE to "test drive" the X3, especially if it has VDC, paddle shifters, and summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The metal key allows access to the inside of the car if the battery fails in the "remote key". However the metal key won't start the car. You still need the "remote key". It will start the car even with a dead key battery if you carefully place it in contact with the marked position on the side of the steering column.

There is no "Valet key" as such. You can purchase up to (2) additional "remote keys" from your BMW dealer. Cost is approximately $350 (each) plus an additional $100 to $150 for programming the key and the car's anti theft system to accept it.
Awesome info...thx so much
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #10
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Keys rip you off, especially for the programming fee o.O
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
barbglaser
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3xDrive35i

got on this fourm and found answers to my keyfob question. However, does anyone know if the X3 has the plain little plastic key (does nothing but open the door)? I had one for my 2000 323i (which was wonderful car) and I used it all the time when running, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

The little metal key, called the integrated key opens the door and the glovebox. You can pull that out and take that with you.

I believe you can get a replacement (or additional) integrated key without having to replace the entire keyless remote.