BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

M Sport or Leather??

I know this is a strange question, but in order to meet my budget I can only choose one of the M Sport Pkg or the Leather seats.

My build is this:

Jet Black or Carbon Black
Havana Leather or Black Leatherette
Aluminum trim or Satin Matte trim (Al is only avail w/ MSpt)
Tech Pkg
Apps Pkg
Prem Pkg
Roof rails
Storage Pkg

What do you think? I'm leaning towards the leather as I'm worried about resale and trying to sell a BMW with plastic seats (no offense to anyone with leatherette).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
I know this is a strange question, but in order to meet my budget I can only choose one of the M Sport Pkg or the Leather seats.

My build is this:

Tech Pkg
Apps Pkg
Prem Pkg
Roof rails
Storage Pkg

What do you think? I'm leaning towards the leather as I'm worried about resale and trying to sell a BMW with plastic seats (no offense to anyone with leatherette).
Aluminum trim in Canada is avaiakbke already with the standard 35i in Canada already..... The matte is not even available o 35i and just on e 28i.

To me I wil choose probably the m sport as 1900 for just leather is a bit pricey for something you already have, which is seats. That being said, the leatherette on the x3 looks rather cheap in comparison to ore leatherette that is offered on other BMW models for some reason except for the x1.

To me m sport also makes the car look more aggressive in my point of view, this is my opinion though. Good luck deciding. Let us no wat u decide with .
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:

My build is this:

Tech Pkg
Apps Pkg
Prem Pkg
Roof rails
Storage Pkg

Dont forget the 800$ charge for paint with m-sport, other than white, as default black paint cannot be ordered with m-sport. So if you want black with m-sport, it would be sapphire or carbon.

Roof rails are standard with m-sport, and can be alu or high gloss.

I did go for the m-sport + leatherette. Will be here sometime in june.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post
Dont forget the 800$ charge for paint with m-sport, other than white, as default black paint cannot be ordered with m-sport. So if you want black with m-sport, it would be sapphire or carbon.

I did go for the m-sport + leatherette. Will be here sometime in june.
Acutally, Carbon Black is no charge with the M Spt. What was your motivation for not getting the leather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton_matthias View Post
Aluminum trim in Canada is avaiakbke already with the standard 35i in Canada already..... The matte is not even available o 35i and just on e 28i.

That being said, the leatherette on the x3 looks rather cheap in comparison to ore leatherette that is offered on other BMW models for some reason except for the x1.
As of April, the Aluminum trim is not available for any models other than the M Spt. Check it out on BMW.ca. You can't add Al trim unless you get the M Spt.

I agree that the leatherette looks cheaper, but I think that is just because the leather looks so nice. I think there is a reason BMW is charging $1900 for the leather. The quality and workmanship are evident.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Acutally, Carbon Black is no charge with the M Spt. What was your motivation for not getting the leather?

As of April, the Aluminum trim is not available for any models other than the M Spt. Check it out on BMW.ca. You can't add Al trim unless you get the M Spt.

I agree that the leatherette looks cheaper, but I think that is just because the leather looks so nice. I think there is a reason BMW is charging $1900 for the leather. The quality and workmanship are evident.
Carbon Black is $800, says it when you select it. I do know that there were a few days where carbon black was listed as $0, I confirmed with my CA and she told me that it was a mistake. Now the site seems to be corrected about that one.

For example the 309 wheels for $1000 on the state says they come with performance run flat, however my CA sent me a sheet that said the 309's now come with all seasons and are NOT staggered anymore.

However, i do see the aluminum trim part..... i don't know why its like that now.... I remember you didn't have to order the M Sport in order to have that......you should double check your CA as the BMW site is not very reliable as others have noted within this forum.

As for me, I ordered the X3 35i M Sport with red brown leather seats and aluminum trim and had aluminum roof rails instead of the high gloss black rails.... My wife just couldn't stand the leatherette for the X3.

On a side note, of all the brands that make leatherette, I find BMW to be the worse and the Benz and even VW leatherette feels and looks a lot better than BMW. Audi doesn't even offer leatherette to begin with as all their cars (even the cheap A3) comes with real leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

there was a long debate for the leather/leatherette choice, but my limit was 60k for the car and i was already over that for nav + m-sport+black sapphire.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As for me, I ordered the X3 35i M Sport with red brown leather seats and aluminum trim and had aluminum roof rails instead of the high gloss black rails.... My wife just couldn't stand the leatherette for the X3.
Do you have pics of your aluminum roof rails on an M Spt? I've always liked the shiney/aluminum bits on the regular X3.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

IMO the M-Sport is a better buy but might end up being out of your 60k price range depending on what color you get. Leather in a car is always nice but as mentioned $1900 is pricey and the M-Sport comes with a lot of goodies for $1k more than the leather. Having leatherette could potentially hurt your resale value but I think it really depends on the buyer and how well you took care of the leather seats if you have them. TBH I actually prefer leatherette and probably wouldn't have gotten leather seats if they weren't included in the premium package in the US.

The X3's leather is pretty nice but I don't think its very durable. After the 1st or 2nd week the leather on my driver's seat is already starting to scrunch up a bit so I can only imagine after a few years of ownership.

Quote:
On a side note, of all the brands that make leatherette, I find BMW to be the worse and the Benz and even VW leatherette feels and looks a lot better than BMW. Audi doesn't even offer leatherette to begin with as all their cars (even the cheap A3) comes with real leather.
Never seen VW leatherette but MB leatherette is quite nice and very durable, I'm glad Audi made leather standard in the US because don't they offer cloth in other countries?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Leather has the least added value for the car. (for me)

Sport seats/ DDC/ paddle shifters will be much more appreciated.

total was 61k, all in. Will have the winter matts also.

More $ than in US, but less than rest of the world.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Wow, you Cannucks have it tough with all the varied config and pricing. Hard to really comment, because in the U.S. leather is part of the Premium Package (which no BMW should be built without).

You really have to decide what is most important to you, and how long you're planning to keep the vehicle and how important resale value is. M-Sport will have less resale value over time than expected amenities like leather seats. The would-be soccer mom looking at your n-year-old X3 will want leather but she won't care about paddle shifters, ///M door sills, or front aero kit.

If you're getting it for yourself, then it's totally up to you and you should go with your own choice. I would recommend sitting on the pleather before deciding because it is really not the same at all.

Really a shame that cloth isn't an option.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I'll sell the 35i to a hockey dad then. We are from Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
Oilfan
Canada
Rep
Drives: Soon to be X3

Quote:

My build is this:

Tech Pkg
Apps Pkg
Prem Pkg
Roof rails
Storage Pkg

I have a very similar order.
Alpine White
Aluminum Trim
Premium
Tech
Comfort
m-sport w/shadowline rails

I went with the leatherette after some research, reading long debate threads on xbimmers, and seeing both at the dealership. I thought the leatherette was pretty good IMHO.

I have read a few reviews that the durability of the leatherette is supposedly really good.

Durability with a dog and an "active" lifestyle was my main motivation.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Wow, you Cannucks have it tough with all the varied config and pricing. Hard to really comment, because in the U.S. leather is part of the Premium Package (which no BMW should be built without).

You really have to decide what is most important to you, and how long you're planning to keep the vehicle and how important resale value is. M-Sport will have less resale value over time than expected amenities like leather seats. The would-be soccer mom looking at your n-year-old X3 will want leather but she won't care about paddle shifters, ///M door sills, or front aero kit.

If you're getting it for yourself, then it's totally up to you and you should go with your own choice. I would recommend sitting on the pleather before deciding because it is really not the same at all.

Really a shame that cloth isn't an option.
good point
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

After not having leather and now with my X3 leather sports seats, I will never go back. Leather is sweet!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan View Post
I went with the leatherette after some research, reading long debate threads on xbimmers, and seeing both at the dealership. I thought the leatherette was pretty good IMHO.

I have read a few reviews that the durability of the leatherette is supposedly really good.

Durability with a dog and an "active" lifestyle was my main motivation.
I think that I am leaning towards this same opinion. I have two little boys and they are not gentle on anything. I have leather in my E90, and although it has held up well, I believe the leatherette will be more durable.

I do plan on keeping this car for 6-7 years (usual buy a new car every 3+ years, and we have two) so it's got to hold up.

We also do lots of travelling, so the sports seats will help with comfort on the long trips.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

maybe the half leather pearlpoint if offered in your country would be a good compromise on M-sport
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #17
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

Am I the only one who thinks that leather should be standard in a BMW?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #18
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpath View Post
Hell no, you're not the only one. I think all BMWs in North America should have leather. They are trying to promote an image of luxury and yet they leather is an expensive option.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #19
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Hell no, you're not the only one. I think all BMWs in North America should have leather. They are trying to promote an image of luxury and yet they leather is an expensive option.
It's definitely a problem.

But Mercedes and Audi do the same thing.
Mercedes has its MB-Tex material, which is not offered on the higher end vehicles but a widely chosen option in vehicles such as the GLK, the C, and the R.
Audi offers/offered a pearlpoint-leather sport seat (like in a GTI) with the low trim S-line A3's. I'm not actually sure they still do it.

It is, though, wildly inappropriate that BMW could offer leatherette on the 1, 3, 5, X3, and X5. I understand the 1 and the 3, because often people want the BMW roundel and pure driving dynamics without the high cost of options they don't care about. But with the X3, and the X5, and even more shockingly the 5?! Who needs to make that kind of sacrifice on a car that costs $40,000+?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpath View Post
No, but BMW makes its cash on options, for crying out loud, even a Toyota corolla entry level model has folding mirrors yet we have to pay for its a an option, daylight robbery but again, its not meant to be cheap so we pay the price of loving this brand...Nkt!

Last edited by Bimar; 05-19-2011 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Leather is standard on all X3s in the UK. It's all about marketing and getting the most money that they can for each one whilst selling as many as possible

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #22
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Leather standard would be nice, free stuff is always good. However, I don't think people in countries other than the US would be too happy about it. We already pay a lot less than other countries and receive the full line of suvs months earlier than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
No, but BMW makes its cash on options, for crying out loud, even a Toyota corolla entry level model has folding mirrors yet we have to pay for its a an option, daylight robbery but again, its not meant to be cheap so we pay the price of loving thing brand...Nkt!
I agree, bmw tries to make as much money as they can off of added options; most European car companies do, Porsche anyone? Japanese and American companies aren't as extreme, most Lexus fully loaded/every box checked don't break $5k in options, you can easily rake up $10k in a German car and not even be fully loaded.
Appreciate 0