BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #23
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
Assuming they're run-flat tires at about $400 apiece, and they're thoroughly worn out at 15,000 miles, that's more than $1 per mile just for tire wear. That's pretty outrageous.
*sobs* haha yes.. kinda cancels out some of the savings.

All is not lost of course.. the car I still love more than my M3, and it has got me through snow and ice and that would seen me spinning around like Kylie on a ice rink.

Take the point on the steering clunk, maybe its normal then? Doesn't sound normal though.

I also need to push to get the window motors replaced as some days they have a problem going down or I get a failure message.

I have the crunching dash, but my DIY fix sorted that, so I may just leave it alone as they dont seem to have a proper fix for it either.

If I was to replace tomorrow, there is a good chance it would be another X3 or a 5 Series.. although I do like the Infiniti FX range.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #24
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

X3s have electric power steering. There's no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels. The steering wheel is more like a rheostat or a dial that actuates electric motors via wires. Any sound made by turning the wheel with the power off is probably not related to your tire wear problem.[/QUOTE]

It's an interesting concept, fly by wire steering, it's also a concept in which I would feel very uncomfortable when driving. The thought of relying on a fuse in an electrical circuit to provide my only means of steering is indeed quite scary. Thankfully as has previously been stated the electrical motor only provides assistance to conventional mechanical components including the steering rack and track rod ends. .
      03-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotta2 View Post
It's an interesting concept, fly by wire steering, it's also a concept in which I would feel very uncomfortable when driving. The thought of relying on a fuse in an electrical circuit to provide my only means of steering is indeed quite scary. Thankfully as has previously been stated the electrical motor only provides assistance to conventional mechanical components including the steering rack and track rod ends. .
But it is in development with a lot of manufacturers, so only time before we see it in main stream cars. Brakes as well... electrical actuators... to get away from hydraulic systems, all being tried in R&D.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I took some photos of my uneven wear but it's not at all clear so I won't bother posting them. I have measured the wear though and the averages are about:

front inside 3mm (80% worn)
front outside 5mm (50% worn)

back inside 4.5mm (55% worn)
back outside 2.5mm (85% worn)

Percentages are approx based on 8mm new

Note back are more worn on the outside and fronts the inside. Either that or I wrote it down wrong - may have to double check!

I check the tyre pressures pretty regularly and have a pretty reliable pressure gauge

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
...back inside 4.5mm (55% worn)

Note back are more worn on the outside and fronts the inside. Either that or I wrote it down wrong - may have to double check!
Could well be correct if a wear pattern right across the tyre. Rear toe settings can cause that kind of wear. My E91 OEM RFT rears wore that way, nothing wrong with the geometry, BMW models can have quite an aggressive toe setting for straight line stability.

As long as you don't have the extreme edge wear on the inside rear... as well, it can have both.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #28
Booty
Enjoying it!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M

Quote:
I took some photos of my uneven wear but it's not at all clear so I won't bother posting them. I have measured the wear though and the averages are about:

front inside 3mm (80% worn)
front outside 5mm (50% worn)

back inside 4.5mm (55% worn)

I check the tyre pressures pretty regularly and have a pretty reliable pressure gauge
How many miles do you have on those tyres? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty View Post
How many miles do you have on those tyres? Thanks.
Approx. 13000. I say approx as I can't find the mileage that I recorded when I switched to winters (have switched twice). Could actually be a lot less

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
Booty
Enjoying it!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M

Quote:
Approx. 13000. I say approx as I can't find the mileage that I recorded when I switched to winters (have switched twice). Could actually be a lot less
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #31
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I'm on 17k, with only about 3k on the motorway. I still have 4mm all around with only 1mm variation across the tread, the dealer checked the tyres. No issues with uneven wear.
      03-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #32
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

The off-power clunking and play in the steering is normal. It's just a factor of the electric motor being on/off. Every X3 I've encountered does the same thing. Every BMW with EPS does it, to varying degrees.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #33
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Having replaced both of my rear tyres a few weeks back due to a puncture and the brand not being available, the fronts looked fine so I didn't replace them.

Was parked up last week with the steering turned hard right so the wheels were fully exposed, someone pointed out to me that on the inside edge of the tyre I had a load of nicely exposed wire.. same story on the other side, the inside edge of the tyre was totally destroyed.. then looking on the outer edge you could see it had worn on the edge, but not down to the wire.
No offence, but.... isn't there a contradiction in what you write? How can your tyres look fine a few weeks ago and then have this kind of major "damage" a few weeks later?? I would assume that tyre wear is a gradual/progressive thing, so the uneven wear should have been noticeable much earlier, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #34
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Because it is on the far inside edge and I didnt check that far in when the outter and middle of the tyre appear to be fairly normal. Yes, I should have checked, but I didnt.

No offence taken
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #35
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I'm on 17k, with only about 3k on the motorway. I still have 4mm all around with only 1mm variation across the tread, the dealer checked the tyres. No issues with uneven wear.
Thanks for this Clive. Could you let me know what tyres you have please? Thanks in advance

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #36
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Thanks for this Clive. Could you let me know what tyres you have please? Thanks in advance
They are Pirelli P-zero 18". I do quite frequently give the X3 some welly and as most of my cars have been sporty, I still chuck the X3 around as though it's a car. I'm quite surprised how well the tyres are holding up, I'd expected some shoulder wear on the fronts but it's not at all bad. I keep the tyres a few lbs above the BMW recommendation.

Last edited by clivem2; 03-19-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #37
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2
Quote:
They are Pirelli P-zero 18". I do quite frequently give the X3 some welly and as most of my cars have been sporty, I still chuck the X3 around as though it's a car. I'm quite surprised how well the tyres are holding up, I'd expected some should wear on the fronts but it's not at all bad. I keep the tyres a few lbs above the BMW recommendation.
Cheers. I keep mine above recommended too. Have already lined up P-Zeros for replacements. Hopefully they'll fare better but ill keep an eye out this time for any uneven wear

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #38
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I went for Goodyear Excellence in the end because of stock issues on the Pirellis and the fact I wanted quadruple Tesco clubcard points from BlackCircles (4,500 but worth a lot more than £45 to me when exchanged).

Overall cost was £1100 from BlackCircles and I paid BMW £60+VAT to fit and balance. BMW's all in quote was £1350 for exactly the same tyres fitted so £180 saved and the clubcard points as a bonus.

Will be keeping a close eye on the tread as I don't want to be forking out again after only 12,000 miles

If you use BlackCircles, go through QuidCo first as it's another 2.5% off every order

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #39
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

Items that effect inside tire wear if your alignment is correct are frequent tight turns, such as U-turns and under inflation. Many manufacturers post lower tire pressures to give a softer ride. This is especially true with run flats do to the rougher ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #40
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Just resurrecting this thread as a warning to others.

CHECK YOUR TYRES THOROUGHLY, NOT JUST THE MAIN TREAD!

I made exactly the same mistake as Matt - checking the main tread depth but neglecting the very edges. Last Thursday my tyre pressure warnings triggered and when I pulled over I noted some wear at the edge but no deflation (it was a hasty check on the motorway hard shoulder). When I got back to Leeds some 100 miles later I was mortified to find large gouges exposing the steel right at the edge of the front tyres. The car went nowhere after that and when ATS came out to do the replacements yesterday the fitter told me the Pirelli Cinturato P7s were notorious for it and suggested the problem was a combination of the poorly manufactured tyres, rear wheel drive, the steering setup, mileage wear and aggressive driving. I'd found it odd that with over 30,000 miles on the tyres they were still hardly worn. MY FAULT. I wasn't checking the right areas. Lesson learnt.