BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #45
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
The CTek charger comes with cables you can permanently attach to the battery to use the quick plug. Is it possible to install those cables without disconnecting the battery?

Will unplugging the battery for 20 seconds cause all car settings to be reset or is enough time to swap wires?
Dukat,

If you're not comfortable about loosening and connecting directly to the under-hood battery terminals, a easier, safer way is as follows (be sure to follow the specified order exactly):

1. Using the CTEK adapter cable, connect the Positive ring terminal to a accessory battery connector (as shown below). DO NOT connect the battery connector to the vehicle yet.

2. Connect the CTEK Negative ring terminal to ANY small grounded bolt (connected directly to the metal chassis). This does not have to be the large Negative "charging" terminal. With any electrical connection, it's always a good idea to use a serrated lock-washer under the bolt head to insure a good connection).

3. Finally, connect the accessory battery connector to the X3's Positive charging post (under the red snap-up cover) and tighten carefully. Be absolutely sure that you use a small wrench and do not let any part of the wrench touch any vehicle parts.

You can also replace the accessory connector clamp nut with a large wing nut and then tighten by hand thereby eliminating the need for having any metal tools touching the "hot" battery terminal.

DONE
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #46
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Thanks for the info Lotus!
      02-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #47
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 N52

What battery voltage reading should I get ? After a charge. I get 12 volts which I think is low. I thought you are suppose to get 12.4 v or better.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #48
Paul_R_Canada
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: MB 2013 GLK250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkman View Post
What battery voltage reading should I get ? After a charge. I get 12 volts which I think is low. I thought you are suppose to get 12.4 v or better.
Nice, searched and revived a 3.5 yr old thread - good stuff.

A typical car battery has 6 cells giving 2.1 volts per cell so a fully charged battery should read 12.6v, if your metering 12v (you should use a decent meter to check) its low and about at 50% charge BUT

Your readings will vary based on several factors,
Is it connected to the car or not, is the car running or not if connected, has it been sitting in cold weather for days, recently charged... Etc.

Your car should provide a steady 13.8-14.4v of charge from the alternator..

This WIKI can help with some details , pay particular attention to the terminal voltage section for charge rates http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_battery
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #49
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Just thought I would add to this - I purchased an OBD-II Plug of ebay and a 4w solar charger panel,
Connected as per the previous details (pin 16 12v +ve, pin 4 12v Neg).
Works a treat even in winter. Just enough to keep it topped up to avoid the annoying battery warnings if we dont use it for 5 days or so.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #50
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I'm using a Noco 7.2 amp smart charger through the engine bay connections. I do a top up every few months

http://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-G7200-7-2-.../dp/B004LWTHP2
Appreciate 0