BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #23
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Are you saying without selecting the auto dazzling mirror option which gives you auto folding you can code the folding mirror?
I was talking about two different things in that post. The first is the folding mirror, where they tuck into the vehicle. You have to have the motors in the mirror housings to do this, so you'll need that option to code that.

The other thing I was talking about is the mirror dip, where the mirror glass moves down when the vehicle is in reverse. This should be available on every BMW regardless of option selection.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 12:52 AM   #24
intercoms
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

Thank you for this tip returnzero! I swear it worked the day I picked up my car and it stopped working the day after... Because I just adjusted the side mirrors on the passenger side!! I'm sure that's the problem, Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
Yes, this should be on all BMWs regardless of options. To turn this on, leave the mirror adjust switch on the driver's side position at all times. If it's in the passenger side position it won't dip in reverse, if it's in the driver's position it will.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #25
jvrb
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI 20d

Quote:
Mine came with manual power folding mirrors but they wouldn't go with the key. I coded mine using the threads and info around here to fold as some have described, and I set the delay to 0 seconds so they fold immediately when locking the vehicle instead of having to hold the lock button for several seconds.

You'll need to find someone who can help you do the coding or dive in yourself. The dealer won't do it.
How do you set the delay to 0sec? Or is that to hard to explain here? Or has it been explained elsewhere? I'll do a search. Hate having to hold the button for 5sec for the mirrors to fold everytime.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #26
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I don't remember the exact setting, it's part of ESys. If you look through the coding cheat sheets you'll find the delay value which you can change to zero. No way to do it other than that - you have to code it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #27
jvrb
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I don't remember the exact setting, it's part of ESys. If you look through the coding cheat sheets you'll find the delay value which you can change to zero. No way to do it other than that - you have to code it.
Thanks, I'll look into coding when I have more time. At least I know that it can be done.
Don't understand why the default value would be 5sec though. It is a long time to hold the button just to fold in the mirrors.
Previous car I had you just had to do a double click and the mirrors would fold.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 03:27 AM   #28
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Does anyone know if the standard non auto folding mirrors auto dim as per the interior mirror on the LCI model ?

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #29
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryw1 View Post
Not sure what you mean by coded. But my '15 came with it already working. There is a little square button near the mirror adjustment thing that you just push and they fold in. Pretty darn cool - I used it tonight for the first time when pulling in to a parking garage. My wife said they look like our cat's ears when she is play fighting with her sister cat.
Good to know. Do you know if the keyfob can be programmed to fold the mirror as well or is that an existing feature as well?
Well if you have the Folding Mirror feature then upon locking if you keep holding the Lock Button the mirrors will fold in and upon unlocking the mirrors will unfold...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #30
jvrb
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Does anyone know if the standard non auto folding mirrors auto dim as per the interior mirror on the LCI model ?
I think that the auto dim or anti-dazzle function only comes with the folding mirrors (code 430?) At least here it does.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #31
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrb View Post
I think that the auto dim or anti-dazzle function only comes with the folding mirrors (code 430?) At least here it does.
That's what I thought in the uk too ... I don't need the folding function but the auto dimming is brilliant. There is so much confusion and lack of clarity around what does or doesn't feature as standard or in the options and I read somewhere that the mirrors dimmed as standard which would negate my need for the option

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #32
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
That's what I thought in the uk too ... I don't need the folding function but the auto dimming is brilliant. There is so much confusion and lack of clarity around what does or doesn't feature as standard or in the options and I read somewhere that the mirrors dimmed as standard which would negate my need for the option
I've just been out to see if the side mirrors dim (we don't have the auto-folding option) but the rear-view mirror is auto-dimming - IMO they do dim, as when I compared the brightness of car headlights behind me, they were always the same in rear-view and side mirrors
      10-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #33
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d SE

Taken from the UK build tool: Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
£ 300.00
Exterior mirrors, automatically dimming, folding. Light sensitive, fast reacting dimming effect reducing glare from following headlights. Exterior mirrors fold in to protect from damage when parked or negotiating narrow gaps.
I suppose it's safe to assume that without this option, they don't auto dim.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #34
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
I suppose it's safe to assume that without this option, they don't auto dim.
I think you're correct, I must have been mistaken when looking at headlights in the mirrors whilst driving - not the first time I've been wrong and I'd be surprised if it were the last

I've just tried a (slightly) more scientific test - sitting in the car, in the near-dark, using a small torch held over the light sensor in the rear-view mirror. There were faint lights behind me that I could see in the mirrors and, when I switched the torch on, I could see the rear-view mirror dim but there was no change in the side mirrors.
      10-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #35
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d SE

Your test sounds good - however I hope your weren't parked in a secluded spot flashing your torch as that might have taken some explaining....
My folding door mirrors are hopefully on a ship (perhaps the 'Courage'?) and I'd like to think that they're still attached to the vehicle. They were added as part of the "Active security package". If they hadn't have been part of that, then I don't think I'd have bothered as I don't use the ones I currently have.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #36
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
Your test sounds good - however I hope your weren't parked in a secluded spot flashing your torch as that might have taken some explaining....

Luckily I was only on my driveway and my neighbours are used to me doing strange things to/with/in my cars...