BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
azhar
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

any way to fully use BMW Office with iPhone?

We know Apple blocks some of the functions when iPhone paired with the car. Any way that we can use the calendar, message etc just like Blackberry?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Nope. The iPhone does not support the Bluetooth Message Access Profile, which BMW Office uses to read email, messages etc. Some RIM Blackberry devices are currently the only known supported and working devices with BMW Office. Search the threads on here for details
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

We have to hope that Apple will add MAP technology in the next iPhone OS update...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
WagonRider
Leo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 (X3) 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
We have to hope that Apple will add MAP technology in the next iPhone OS update...
They might, or at least provide another way for the 'ConnectedDrive' integration with iOS 5.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Someone heard anything about Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP) with the iOs 5 announcements ?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
Someone heard anything about Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP) with the iOs 5 announcements ?
Can't see anything explicit but the new Notification Centre is in the right area. We can just hope they'll add it as part of this

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

I assume this has nothing to do with the use of the "snap in" adapter right? This is purely an integration issue b/c of the software/firmware on the iphone?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Can't see anything explicit but the new Notification Centre is in the right area. We can just hope they'll add it as part of this
Still so hard to tell if this will add more Bluetooth functionality. But the notification center appears to just consolidate alerts from multiple apps (email, text, twitter, facebook, etc) and show them in a bar across the screen, which can then be pulled down with a swipe to see the details. You can see this today on any Android device.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
Still so hard to tell if this will add more Bluetooth functionality. But the notification center appears to just consolidate alerts from multiple apps (email, text, twitter, facebook, etc) and show them in a bar across the screen, which can then be pulled down with a swipe to see the details. You can see this today on any Android device.
You're right and the problem is these details are all functional and quite high level whereas MAP is technical low level stuff and not as likely to be given the same marketing exposure. We may have to wait for some more technical details to be released. iOS 5 is due to be released in the autumn (fall!) along with the new iPhone. Worse case scenario is that neither have MAP .

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

I just installed iOS 5, I will see if it magically works pretty sure I know the answer. I just hope it doesn't break BMW apps!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
I just installed iOS 5, I will see if it magically works pretty sure I know the answer. I just hope it doesn't break BMW apps!
BMW iDrive + Apple beta = Brave pioneer!

If a miracle happens, be sure to post details!

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
and...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
I assume this has nothing to do with the use of the "snap in" adapter right? This is purely an integration issue b/c of the software/firmware on the iphone?
Yup, it's purely Bluetooth connectivity over the airwaves so nothing to do with the snap-in adapter

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
zlee11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if there was a new "plug in" under BMW apps, to stream your iTunes music, down from iCloud? I really hate that there is no song info for iPhone streaming bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
zlee11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Okay guys. I think our dreams have been answered:

http://www.9to5mac.com/71425/ios-5-d...es/#more-71425

In order to stream title info, I THINK, MAP must be enabled.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee11 View Post

That's good but I don't think it's using MAP to do this. MAP is more about exchanging messages. I might be wrong and even if it doesn't use MAP, this is a positive step and could indicate MAP is on its way or will even be included as well. Bluetooth gurus feel free to comment

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
This is a shame, given that BMW has obviously given significant preference and marketing to its integration with the iPhone. So much so, that they are basically telling Android users to go and have sex with themselves.... yet, they are far behind the curve in full integration. Yes, I know that Apple OS is really the technical culprit here, but you'd best believe that if BMW pressed them (something like "the Android folks are ready to work with us, and unless you offer our customers some great functionality we're ready to do business with them") I think Apple would play ball.

If Apple makes this functionality available in iPhone 5 but not backward compatible for iPhone 4 then they are truly lowlife whores. I'm not saying I'll be shocked or anything....

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee11 View Post

This DOES work on the X3, track info showed up over bluetooth.

No changes to office though.

Oh, and answering calls via bluetooth is a bit hosed in beta 1 (takes about 10 seconds to answer after clicking to answer).

Cradle doesn't work at all for me, though I had so much trouble with the cradle before I had stopped using it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the feedback TrikinCurt

Quote:
This DOES work on the X3, track info showed up over bluetooth.
Something to look forward to but I won't be installing beta iOS 5 just for this

Quote:
No changes to office though.
And no point installing for this. No MAP as expected

Quote:
Oh, and answering calls via bluetooth is a bit hosed in beta 1 (takes about 10 seconds to answer after clicking to answer).
Well, I would imagine most people would hang up before 10 seconds so this renders the phone useless. The Lord giveth....

Quote:
Cradle doesn't work at all for me, though I had so much trouble with the cradle before I had stopped using it.
Hadn't considered the cradle not working . I'm hoping as mine is basic not media it will still work if I upgrade to iOS 5 when it's released

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #20
coiken
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
This is a shame, given that BMW has obviously given significant preference and marketing to its integration with the iPhone. So much so, that they are basically telling Android users to go and have sex with themselves.... yet, they are far behind the curve in full integration. Yes, I know that Apple OS is really the technical culprit here, but you'd best believe that if BMW pressed them (something like "the Android folks are ready to work with us, and unless you offer our customers some great functionality we're ready to do business with them") I think Apple would play ball.

If Apple makes this functionality available in iPhone 5 but not backward compatible for iPhone 4 then they are truly lowlife whores. I'm not saying I'll be shocked or anything....
+ fucking 1
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #21
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post

Unfortunately the solution is no better or closer for Android phones. Bluetooth MAP support is not part of the Android platform at the moment, even on the latest build called Honeycomb (which only runs on Tablets). The only Android phones with MAP support are the Motorola Droid X and maybe one other from Motorola. This is because Motorola added it to there builds.

I agree, the whole situation is a real shame, the car manufactures are adding this support (BMW, Ford, I;m sure others) yet there are very few phones supporting Bluetooth MAP.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #22
geordie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I have ios5 installed on my iphone 4 and can confirm the messages thing doesn't work, but bluetooth streaming does include track titles etc, just not playlists as far as I can tell.
Appreciate 0