BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

X3 35i -- Production week of 24 Jan

X3 35i

Mineral Silver Metallic
Black Nevada Leather
Fineline Wave Wood Trim

-Sport Activity Package
Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
X-Line exterior trim package
Roof rails in Aluminum Satin
Sport seats

-Convenience Package
Power tailgate
Comfort Access keyless entry
Rear manual side window shades
Cargo net

-Cold Weather Package
Retractable headlight washers
Rear seat backrest with 40:20:40 split
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated rear seats
Heated front seats

-Premium Package
Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Panoramic moonroof
Lumbar support
Storage package
Interior light package
Universal garage-door opener

-Technology Package
Online Information Services
Park Distance Control
BMW Assist including Mobile Office and Bluetooth audio functionality
Navigation system
Rear View Camera with Top View
Real Time Traffic Information

-Dynamic Handling Package
Performance Control
Dynamic Damping Control
Variable Sport Steering

Double-Spoke Style 309 Runflats
Smartphone integration
Premium Hi-fi System

Last edited by Nahoa; 01-30-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Awesome build.

No sat radio?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That was a debate. Had it on two previous cars but rarely used it. With this one I figured between radio, iPhone integration, and the ability to load music onto the hard drive I'd have all I needed. Lots of radio stations here and we've used the iPod on road trips (with better sound than the sat radio). Since it seemed irrelevant to me, left it out. Was tempted to add it anyway considering the small cost compared to the whole car, but didn't . . . perhaps a mistake!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Nahh not a mistake if you don't really use it.

For example, i dont really use my ipod/iphone much to listen to music but I DO use sat. radio all the time so thats important to me.

That's truly what is great about the made to order program. You pick and chose the options you want.

By the way, I am in heavy debate like I posted and you commented on the 28 v 35 engine. Haven't test drove the 35 yet but maybe this weekend.

When I spec my car it will be very similar to yours. very similar. No sport package and a few other differences, but pretty close.

It's very easy to get close to that 50K sticker price though...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today vehicle jumped from "Start of Production" to "At Preparation Center". No video yet.
      01-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Video showed up something like 12 hours after it switched to "At Preparation Center". Video was fun. As others have already noted, a mixtures of stock video and shots of your specific vehicle. I can't think of any practical utility to it, but it's fun. I like the last scene that makes it sound like they're talking about a baby taking its first steps! Am I gonna have to have a 1 year birthday party for this thing now?!?
      01-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Video showed up something like 12 hours after it switched to "At Preparation Center". Video was fun. As others have already noted, a mixtures of stock video and shots of your specific vehicle. I can't think of any practical utility to it, but it's fun. I like the last scene that makes it sound like they're talking about a baby taking its first steps! Am I gonna have to have a 1 year birthday party for this thing now?!?
I also enjoyed watching that part!

Of course, I was only watching someone else's video because UK orders don't get access to the production video portal

... or any online tracking

... or a number to call to get the current status of the order

But I'm not at all bitter about any of these things

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ha haaa! What color is yours? Maybe one of us can send you our video at the right time and you can pretend -- it's not like you can see the specific features.

If it makes you feel any better, the online tracking was quite goofed up. Lots of stages marked, but it really jumped from start to finish without stopping anywhere in between. Was absolutely still nicer than nothing, but it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.

Will your dealers at least take a look in the computer and give you an update from time to time? They must have access to the status, no?

When you're busy not being bitter about the lack of tracking, make sure not to think about the dramatically greater configuration options y'all have or it might make it hard not to be bitter!!
      01-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Aside from the color/interior we have almost the same options, but I need my sat radio
      02-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Arrived at the dealership today. Scheduled to pick it up tomorrow morning!!
      02-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Woot! Early congrats and can't wait to see the pics!
      02-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Picked up the car today! Liking it very much. Too dark for photos and there's an ice storm coming tonight, so not sure when I'll get some posted. Probably not all that exciting to y'all anyway as the Mineral Silver/Black isn't really an unknown combo.

A few observations:
-- Dang zippy even making sure to stay within the 4500 rpm break-in limit; I may need to start setting aside a ticket fund
-- Fabric floor mats were included; I'd ordered them, but that wasn't necessary.
-- Adapter for iPhone 4 for the Smartphone Integration still on order; not sure if that's availability, related to 6NR, or just that the dealership goofed and didn't get it in on time
-- Tires are Continentals with the Style 309 wheels. I'm partial to the Pirellis, so was a little disappointed there, but no big deal. These thing look very much the performance tire, not even close to an all weather tire. If we get any more snow here I think I'm hosed without an immediate swap to All Season or Winter.
-- Initial impression of the Dynamic Damping Control is very positive. Haven't compared the modes yet, but on normal it's very nice with regard to potholes and bumps. On the way home I noticed the front wheels hitting things and responded like a nice, tight, sporty BMW (and not too rigid) and when I expected the rear wheels to report their passage over the same bump there was nothing. Filtered out.
-- Key fob is notably larger than previous
-- Nice storage compartment left of steering wheel; hadn't noticed that before
-- Used the PDC and Top View on two stops on the way home. Wasn't sure I cared so much about this feature, but based on these two experiences I'm definitely in like, maybe in love.
-- I really like the NAV screen; the display of basic info in the center console is very cool. It also displays things like your list of radio station presets to scroll through, too. Nifty.
-- Sound on the bluetooth streaming from the iPhone sounded pretty darn good to me
-- Not a fan of the lock/unlock chirp. Somehow sounds cheap and un-BMW to me. Will turn that off.
-- I like the on-dash, manual adjustment of the fan for the auto program
-- Little overlap between side view and rear view mirrors creates the possibility of a blind spot if mirrors aren't adjusted very precisely; some head tilt may be required to track vehicles moving between mirrors
-- Door bins are low. Can't reach the bottom while sitting in the seat
-- Improvements to iDrive are very nice. Much better character and number selection compared to my last BMW. The "direct select" buttons are a great addition.
      02-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Well that report certainly did nothing to alleviate my impatience. Sounds like a great vehicle all around! Very happy you're enjoying it and looking forward to pics (trust me, no one waiting on an order will consider any combo "unoriginal" and not worth seeing). I have 2 weeks to go barring setbacks - 35i, Blk Sapphire, Oyster, most packages + premium hi-fi. Speaking of which, how does it sound as compared to your previous BMW(s)? My only concern with 16 speakers is whether the volume needed to get good bass response is unbearable due to decible level from all other speakers. Any opinion either way?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sound was "just right" to me. Listened to some NPR news. To me those voices have a pretty strong demand on the bass and that sounded good. Music I listened to wasn't particularly bass heavy, but I noticed no tinny quality at all and was not compelled to jack the volume up to hear detail. The sound was at least comparable, and I think better than previous -- but then I'm on the cloud at the moment. There are basic tone controls and the equalizer, so it should be possible to isolate the bass quite a bit to suit your preference.

I must go out for a bit of a ride tonight (not that I have anywhere to go, mind you, just have to drive!) and I'll focus on it a bit and report if I notice anything.

Will get some pictures up as soon as I can, then. With the weather coming, might get some with street grime tomorrow and then follow up later in the week once it's clean again.
      02-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Enjoy the new car! I would be satisfied with even crappy pics of a dirty X3
      02-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

Congrats on the new ride. The rest of us continue to practice patience in agony.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Congrats and enjoy it!! Can't wait to see good pictures of the Black Nevada interior.
      02-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just got back from a ride. Sorry folks still waiting as I was when I woke up this morning. This dang car is fun. You'll be happy if you look at cars anywhere similar to how I do. Worth the wait.

Sound. I think the premium sound is awesome. The car is so quiet and the sound quality good enough that it's really enjoyable. All the details (well, I'm sure not audiophile all, but a lot). Listened to Hootie, Lyle Lovett, Mozart, Diana Krall, Anna Nalick, Barry White, Ben Folds, Beck, Cake, and maybe a couple others. All worked fantastically for me.

No sense of bass challenge.

Last edited by Nahoa; 02-04-2011 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #19
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Zippiness.

Okay, folks, I don't know what I'd do if I could spring for an M. This 35i is slap-my-butt-and-giggle zippy and I haven't even gotten it over 4,000 rpm or about 75 mph!!!!

Point, press, go. This is a very, very good thing!!!!!!
      02-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Okay, crummy, blurry photo, but a photo!!
Attached Images

02-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #21
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just in case this matters to anyone, you can stream music from an iPad via Bluetooth while an iPhone is also connected via Bluetooth for phone functions. No track info or cover art over Bluetooth from either the iPhone or iPad -- I thought that was supposed to happen, but I'm either confused or haven't configured something properly.
      02-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #22
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
^ (looking admiringly at your config) ... here's my little more basic set-up - going to South Carolina next Tuesday for PCD - excited as can be (my first BMW)!

X3 35i

Titanium Silver Metallic
Oyster Nevada Leather
Fineline Wave Wood Trim

-Sport Activity Package
Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
X-Line exterior trim package
Roof rails in Aluminum Satin
Sport seats

-Dynamic Handling Package
Performance Control