BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
thecam
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: X3 M-sport

Combox and 6NR retrofit

Let me share with you my experience to add the combox and the option 6NR on my car X3 2.0d F25 pack M.
To make this change I have asked all the official BMW dealer in my area, and all the answers was that it was impossible to mount retrofit kit.
Can not until I found the site http://www.bimmer-tech.net.
Mr. Patryk Matysiak responded to my email and assured me that instead of what the otherwas impossible for him was real and easy to make.
And would you believe but it 's really been so'!!!!

FANTASTIC!

Patryk was immediately very helpful and provided me not only to perfect and strictly original material (all marked bmw!) all the help that I needed for installation.

Combox, wiring connections are all perfect, but once installed it there was a big problem......... how to told to my car all these things added (combox and 6NR)?

No problems seems to scare the Bimmer-Tech!!

In fact, an exceptional colleague of Patryk has coded and activated all the new features' of my car remotely, simply by providing my pc connected to internet ........

and voila '

and everything is put to work perfectly, in spite of the official BMW dealers who gave impossible to upgrade!!

What can I say? one huge THANK YOU to mr Patryk Matysiak and his collaborators who facilitated my requests.

PS: The new features are beautiful!!

I am attaching some photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

How much did you pay for the services and how much did you pay for the HW?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

How did you connect your PC to X3?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
How did you connect your PC to X3?
When BimmerTech did mine i used an XP laptop, wireless connection for remote desktop and they used a LAN bridge connection to the OBD-II port on the X3 (front, next to steering wheel). I didn't get to see any of the software in action but would love to have the ability customise further. Remove annoying press gear lever button warning for example or remove 1.5km distance restriction on find my car iphone app

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
AngusW
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3

I got my X3 2.0 just before Christmas, pro nav etc, so have the combox. When I ordered my car in April last year I had no idea what 6NR was, and the dealer obviously didn't either; if I had known I would have opted for it. So for those UK members who have it from BimmerTech, do you find it useful (I am aware that it may be more useful in the future), how much did it cost, and would a not too technical type like me be able to install it using an Apple computer?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
bigblackwolf
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecam View Post
Let me share with you my experience to add the combox and the option 6NR on my car X3 2.0d F25 pack M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
When BimmerTech did mine
hello thecam and sfax:

What car version did you start with befor the conversion? (please describe rather than using option codes such as 6NF 6NR which I do not understand)
I am interested in this conversion and have an X3 with only a powersupply and an Auxin connection underneath the armrest. Would the conversion work for me?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i want in on this as well if the price is right
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
thecam
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep

Hi to all,I will try to answer to some of yours questions.
What about prices you could find on http://www.bimmer-tech.net this is his homepage and all is described.When you buy HW all other services is included (help,coding.....) so if you compare prices from bmw dealers and Patryk you could see that bimmer-tech is lower than bmw service.
I think also that is very important that all of his team is really avaible 7 days on 7.
My car was a good car before,but now is at top with this features.....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
thecam
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep

For AngusW, no I don't think he could use mac pc I think it is possible only on laptop with XP
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
AngusW
Scotland
Rep

Thanks thecam, I'll maybe get in touch with bimmertech about this then - certainly not going back to windows after all these years!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusW View Post
Thanks thecam, I'll maybe get in touch with bimmertech about this then - certainly not going back to windows after all these years!
If you email Patryk your VIN and what options you have he can tell you if you can proceed. As you got your X3 just before Christmas, your software will be OK. If you didn't order 6NF, you won't be able to get 6NR functionality through the cradle but can still get it through a modified USB port.

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/index.php/contact

No chance of coding the car using your Mac I'm afraid! I would try to contact a fitter and get them to do the wiring and coding together if possible

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackwolf View Post
hello thecam and sfax:

What car version did you start with befor the conversion? (please describe rather than using option codes such as 6NF 6NR which I do not understand)
I am interested in this conversion and have an X3 with only a powersupply and an Auxin connection underneath the armrest. Would the conversion work for me?
I could give you a description of 6NF but it's meaningless and you can't see it anyway. You know if you have 6NF because if you use a media snap-in adapter you can play music when in the cradle (not using Bluetooth).

You will need pro nav (large screen) at the very least to get BMW Apps

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

I am not sure I really get the point of so much technology in the car.

Stuff like send to car for nav destinations and pictures at destination I have used and are good practical applications. These though are supporting and helping my driving experience.

Google local search I may use at some point and I have used BMW news online when bored driving into work and I have missed the news on the radio.

But full google/Internet Facebook twitter and watching DVDs/iPod video seem to be a bit over the top. Why do you need these in a car.

I love technology and this car is light years ahead of my previous car. But there comes a point where you don't need to be any more "connected".

Ps hope the iPhone 5 has Bluetooth MAP!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
But full google/Internet Facebook twitter and watching DVDs/iPod video seem to be a bit over the top. Why do you need these in a car.
4 KIDS.....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
4 KIDS.....
+1 (that's +1 on the kids comment, not +1 kid ) Thomas The Tank Engine vids played through iPhone on iDrive are very useful on long journeys. I think I need to get an iPad and holder though as the iDrive screen is too far away from the backseat

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
bigblackwolf
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive28i

Would this conversion void the normal car warranty (like is normally the case with electronic gear, when you open it, the warranty is gone)?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackwolf View Post
Would this conversion void the normal car warranty (like is normally the case with electronic gear, when you open it, the warranty is gone)?
You don't have to open the case of the CIC head unit or the combox. You won't invalidate the warranty but there is an issue if BMW ever want or need to update the iDrive software because you'll lose the activation coding that was done and will need to reapply it

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #18
AngusW
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
If you email Patryk your VIN and what options you have he can tell you if you can proceed. As you got your X3 just before Christmas, your software will be OK. If you didn't order 6NF, you won't be able to get 6NR functionality through the cradle but can still get it through a modified USB port.

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/index.php/contact

No chance of coding the car using your Mac I'm afraid! I would try to contact a fitter and get them to do the wiring and coding together if possible
I'll do that when I get back to the UK sfax, thanks. I'm not sure if I got 6NF or not - I did get a £100+ cradle for my iPhone, which I believe was called a media cradle? In any case, I don't have my VIN with me, but will contact bimmertech on my return. Silly question, as I think I know the answer, but do you think 6NR is worth all the hassle and expense?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusW View Post
I'll do that when I get back to the UK sfax, thanks. I'm not sure if I got 6NF or not - I did get a £100+ cradle for my iPhone, which I believe was called a media cradle? In any case, I don't have my VIN with me, but will contact bimmertech on my return. Silly question, as I think I know the answer, but do you think 6NR is worth all the hassle and expense?
Very subjective but I'm hoping it will be worth it when new apps become available. Is it worth it just for FB and Twitter? No way. Internet radio? Well, nice gimmick but DAB is superior in terms of coverage in my experience. Playing video through your iPhone and the much improved iPod interface are big pluses for me too. And you'll get playing DVD and video while the car is in motion unlocked which people pay £100 for on its own. Time will tell I think

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
boogysbmw
Noice
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX 50drive

Garage List
I so want to do this to my f25. I so regret not getting the tech package!! smash my head on the desk!!

2023 BMW X1 xDrive28i - Portimao Blue Metallic / Black perforated /Shadowline/ M sport / premium package
Appreciate 0