BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
oaklandish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

2014 X3 owners only - rear lights (inner)

I have a question. I have a 2014 BMW x3 28i with 51k miles. I have no nighttime tail lights on my rear hatch nor brake lights on my hatch. The outer lights work just fine but the inner lights don't work at all. I was under 50k warranty and took to dealer last month to repair after seeing all the issues here. They said that 2014 X3 taillights don't exist and are for decoration only. Given the number of threads I've read about rear hatch circuit boards, I think the service manager is pulling a fast one.

So, for all you 2014 BMW X3 owners in the USA, please confirm that you have working inner taillights at night. Do they light up when applying the brakes as well? I've heard about adding them as rear fog lights but I'm not interested in that.

here's a pic of my X3:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by oaklandish; 06-30-2017 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
I have a question. I have a 2014 BMW x3 28i with 51k miles. I have no nighttime tail lights on my rear hatch nor brake lights on my hatch. The outer lights work just fine but the inner lights don't work at all. I was under 50k warranty and took to dealer last month to repair after seeing all the issues here. They said that 2014 X3 taillights don't exist and are for decoration only. Given the number of threads I've read about rear hatch circuit boards, I think the service manager is pulling a fast one.

So, for all you 2014 BMW X3 owners in the USA, please confirm that you have working inner taillights at night. Do they light up when applying the brakes as well? I've heard about adding them as rear fog lights but I'm not interested in that.

here's a pic of my X3:
View post on imgur.com
If your X3 has standard halogen headlights, then your rear taillights will also be just halogen bulbs. These only light up the outer section of the tailights. This is normal, even though I think it looks terrible and not overly safe for a car of this size!
However, if you had Xenon headlights, then the rear taillights would have a combination of both LED and halogen, these use the inner part of the taillights.

I hope this answers your question.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
oaklandish
Enlisted Member
Rep

It does! Thank you so much.

Unfortunately, I have halogens. Why the original owner sprung for heads up display but not LED nor premium sound is beyond me. Also, BMW made a dumb design decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
It does! Thank you so much.

Unfortunately, I have halogens. Why the original owner sprung for heads up display but not LED nor premium sound is beyond me. Also, BMW made a dumb design decision.
Yeah it sounds as though the original owner made some strange choices in the options department! I would always choose Xenon headlights as a minimum for any new car, halogens just don't cut it, in both the looks department as well as performance.
As you say, BMW definitely made a crappy decision with only having part of the tailights active on this configuration.

I wonder whether you could have them replaced? Not sure whether all the wiring is in place or not? Maybe worth investigating.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
oaklandish
Enlisted Member
Rep

Check out the lengths this guy went to:

Pop the access hatch behind the tail gate and you'll see there's a bonafide assembly in there.

"Fake" is if they merely bolted on dummy reflector panels to the tailgate sheet metal. Whether it's activated or not is a different story. It's not operative in yours (and my) US-delivered X3 for a possible variety of reasons.

Just like in the Z3, Z4, and X5, the F25 X3 is built exclusively at the Spartanburg plant for worldwide consumption. This means the sequence of cars on their assembly line can be built with specs that are worlds apart. X3's trim would be no different here.

Rear foglamps and hazard triangle that would be mandatory in German-driven cars are not required for North American bimmers.

Before finding some key threads in this forum, I too initially presumed they were dummy reflectors as I've observed OTHER F25 X3s driven locally and not once had I ever seen the tailgate lamps illuminate (including my own)... always the outter edge lamps only for illumination and braking.

The long LED taillamp thread got me curious enough to disassemble both the edge assembly and hatch taillamps in March. I've got incandescants in all my assemblies. Were mine burnt? Pulled the driver's side rear bulbs and gave them the evil eye under my stereozoom microscope. No signs of broken-disconnected filliaments... and it was HIGHLY unlikely all four bulbs across the symmetrical assemblies were all burnt out. WTF was going on then?

Found the fuse reference card at the rear passenger fuse hatch. Appropriate SECONDARY fuse panel is buried forward of the glove box. BURIED. Nevertheless, managed to pull out the two suspect (mini) fuses for scrutiny. Fuses were intact. Didn't have enough room to jam the voltmeter probes in there to further verify if anything was flowing.

At this point, all I could presume was they were intentionally disabled for COMPLIANCE reasons. Weeks later, happened to be watching a car review that SEEMED to corroborate my suspicion:

"...(US) government regulation that (primary) brake lights can't be on a piece of bodywork that moves.."

Did the Spartanburg factory CODE this out of our US X3s? Wasn't able to verify. Eventually saw the listing of "code-able" stuff from Bimmer America and there wasn't anything referring to the tailgate brake lights.

THIS thread claims they'll trigger under HARD emergency braking:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=951832

Earlier in this current thread, Master2301 and others indicate the rear hatch lamps are merely "disconnected" at the headlamp switch panel for US-destined X3s... and moreso, they don't seem to be designed for use as everyday brake lamps working lock-step with the edge brake lamps.... European Rear Foglamp mode (with requisite panel change) or hard braking indicators.

The appropriate Euro switch panel in question will depend on whether yours came out of the factory with Rain Sensor, HID, and Adaptive LED. (YES, NO, NO for me)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_2684

Punching some of those part numbers (61319390287) into eBay brings up some interesting listings (and pricepoints) Pushbuttons on the leftmost edge for front foglamp (top) and rear hatch foglamp (bottom). Center rotary knob for driving lamps and headlight. Pair of scrollwheels to the right of that. My US-spec X3 currently has a single scrollwheel (instrument pod dimmer). For those who've performed the transplant, can you verify what the additional wheel does?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...php?p=10315202
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX3 View Post
This is normal, even though I think it looks terrible and not overly safe for a car of this size!

LOL, a little dramatic I think. I have halogens and the tail lights are fine, plenty bright for nightime driving. I have followed my wife at night while she drove the X3 many times and never had visibility issues of the X3. The bulb tail lamps are very visible. Plus I never have to worry about the LED circuit board failing like on the LED tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
LOL, a little dramatic I think. I have halogens and the tail lights are fine, plenty bright for nightime driving. I have followed my wife at night while she drove the X3 many times and never had visibility issues of the X3. The bulb tail lamps are very visible. Plus I never have to worry about the LED circuit board failing like on the LED tail lights.
Yeah maybe, but I just feel as though they are far too small for the size of the vehicle. The LED issue is an easy fix, so hardly a worry.
I personally think they don't do the car any favours in the looks department in that configuration, but that's my personal opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #8
oaklandish
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
You realize that the inner tail lights don't work at all, right?

I agree, it is a safety issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 11:36 PM   #9
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Is the fake inner tail lights limited only to the 2014 X3 or does this also apply to later 2015 and 2016 models. I have the latter and never checked.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

On my X3 the inner lights just illuminate for reverse lights and Rear Fogs. Rear fogs can be actuated by purchasing the switch lamp module that contains rear fog light button..very easy mod although somewhat expensive if you buy the switch new. No coding necessary.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
I note that the Euro-style light switch is on ebay for about $180. A photo of the switch's back show a single plug socket which is assumed to control all lighting functions. Other than exchanging the existing switch for the Euro one, is any other wiring necessary? You've already mentioned that reprogramming is not required.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #12
lovebimmers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
I note that the Euro-style light switch is on ebay for about $180. A photo of the switch's back show a single plug socket which is assumed to control all lighting functions. Other than exchanging the existing switch for the Euro one, is any other wiring necessary? You've already mentioned that reprogramming is not required.
I did that "mod" very simple. Only one wire to unclip and then install the new one. I was able to pry off the panel with just my fingernails and all you need is a torx screwdriver. That was my first mod and was almost disappointed at how simple it was lol. Don't over think it. It really was that simple. 5min job

I turn on the rear fogs when it rains or if someone is following me too closely at night. While not blinding they can annoy someone if following too closely.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #13
oaklandish
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info lovebimmers!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Zenons her and yes, my inside lights are functional
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 04:33 AM   #15
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
[QUOTE=lovebimmers;21922165]I did that "mod" very simple. Only one wire to unclip and then install the new one. I was able to pry off the panel with just my fingernails and all you need is a torx screwdriver. That was my first mod and was almost disappointed at how simple it was lol. Don't over think it. It really was that simple. 5min job

Would you clarify the quote above? I am assuming that "prying off the panel" is the one covering the four mounting screws holding the switch and a torx screwdriver is needed to remove these screws. Correct? Is the "one wire to unclip" the plug at the back of the switch?

Therefore in summary, one simply unplugs the original switch, removes it, replaces it with the Euro-switch and re-connects the plug. Correct?

It just sound too easy for a late-model BMW. What no reprogramming by dealer?

Finally, thanks for your assistance.
Appreciate 0