BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
lair12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2016 X1, 2020 X3

Replaced audio amps...now Comfor Access not seeing remote???

I just upgraded my stereo amps (and disconnected the old 205 watt amp), and the only weird result is that now the X3 F25 seems to have difficulty seeing the remote unless it is right at the steering wheel? What could cause this?

Battery in the remote checks out fine at 3.05 volts, and I am having the same problem with both the remotes. Where is the sensor that picks up the remote? Have I messed this up?

Where I could always lock with comfort access by touching the ridges on the door handle, now it only works on infrequent occasions, and this just makes no sense to me.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

I don't know but is there any electrical interference?
Caused maybe from your new installation??
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
lair12
Private First Class
Rep

I think you are right with your assumption that some interference to the comfort access system is being created.

I bought a special connecting harness that allows me to plug into the existing system without cutting any wires. If I totally disconnect my new amplifier from the system, the problem seems to dissipate.

The setup I now have includes two 600 watt four-channel amplifiers to replace the original 205 watt BMW amplifier. They are located in the storage area in the trunk not too far away from where the original amp was. They are wired through shielded and twisted cables to the new harness which then connects directly to the connector that used to go to the old amplifier.

I have also added two new sets of speakers in the rear pillars that match what would be there with the upgraded stereo. I've attached some pictures of the install.

Ideas??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Have you try shielding the whole amp?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

RF chokes on wires? Shielding and twisted wires are more to protect the wire itself from outside interference.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
lair12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
RF chokes on wires? Shielding and twisted wires are more to protect the wire itself from outside interference.
I spoke with JL audio today, and they agree that the amp can cause interference, but they had never seen it occur with something like the comfort access system.

So it's not the wiring that might because the problem, but the amp itself. I don't know how I could shield the whole amp efficiently, but I'll take any suggestions out there.

Ideally, I need to find a new contact point for the turn-on wire, such that the amp did not receive power Until after the car had started, and then lost power as soon as the engine turned off. Unfortunately, I'm not immediately aware of any electrical point that doesn't get power in the car as soon as the door is unlocked.

I might be able to come up with a longer delay scenario to fix the problem on the start side, but do not have any ideas right now what I could do to kill power to the amp as soon as I leave the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Glad it's you and not me. I can hear my wife now. "Why did you have to go and mess with it". "It worked fine before".

It looks as if you installed new low gauge power and ground wire. I still would try a cheap (Radio Shack) RF choke on the power wire. Maybe at the amp side and the power source side. You might run a ground from the amp cases (not using the black connectors) to your grounding point. How about covering your amps in heavy duty aluminum foil. Can also be shaped for UFO invasions when you're on the road! If all else fails, how about a separate kill switch for the remote power.

Last edited by Radioactive; 03-19-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Hmm that's weird. I used a similar harness when I did my amp and DSP install and my comfort access works perfectly, so it definitely can be done. I don't see anything wrong with your install from the photos, though perhaps there's some ground noise or something which is causing the interference? The ground is blurry in your pic so I can't tell how well of a connection it's getting.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
lair12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
Hmm that's weird. I used a similar harness when I did my amp and DSP install and my comfort access works perfectly, so it definitely can be done. I don't see anything wrong with your install from the photos, though perhaps there's some ground noise or something which is causing the interference? The ground is blurry in your pic so I can't tell how well of a connection it's getting.
What amp and dsp did you use?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair12 View Post
What amp and dsp did you use?
I used Mosconi equipment, which sounds very nice. You can see more details about my build here:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765915
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
lair12
Private First Class
Rep

Folks, I think I finally have resolve the issue with my stereo, but it was neither quick nor easy. After attempting to move the amplifiers in other areas of the hatch and turning them different directions, I was never able to consistently eliminate the conflict with the comfort access antenna system. Grounded sheet metal over the compartment did not help either.

After speaking with JL audio tech support, it became clear that I somehow what have to find a 12 V turn on wire it was switched to the ignition and did not get power until the engine started, or at least until the start button was pushed. Unfortunately, not a single circuit in the rear fuse box had this capability, as they all possessed 12 V even when the car was off.

So I had to run a wire from the rear hatch where the amplifiers relocated to the front fuse box located behind the glove box on the passenger side. This entailed drop in the foot well panel and removing the glove box and then checking to find an acceptable tie-in point. Surprisingly, almost all the circuits in this fuse box also possess 12 V at all times. But eventually I discovered fuse number 24 which seems to have the characteristics I need.

I use this opportunity to also run to cables from both amplifiers which allow additional remote audio control of one or both channels of each amplifier from a front located potentiometer. The unit is called a JL Audio HD–RLC remote level control. I have 2 four-channel amps in the hatch driving front speakers, under seat subwoofers, rear speakers and new speakers in the d-pillars. With this control I can boost the subwoofers or the rear D pillar speakers to change my base level sound and/or the volume of sound coming from deep in the back of the car.

After a long day yesterday, all seems be working appropriately without interference of the comfort access system. Thanks for all you help along the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Glad you got it resolved. I would monitor all functions of the vehicle to be sure nothing else is being interfered with due to possible RF interference. It might not be a bad idea, if necessary, to investigate adding a ferrite bead/choke to reduce outgoing interference from the amplifier.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question352.htm
Before being embedded into the cable, as shown in the above link, some manufacturers provided a clip-on version of the choke. I'm sure some of these are still available. I've tossed more of these than I can count .