BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
ovrdriv
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i -Space Gray

6nr Retrofit ?

I have not seen any posts lately discussing the possibility of any type of upgrade (software or firmware) for 6NR. Like many drivers who purchased their X3 prior to April 2011, I would be interested in this application.

Does anyone have current information on 6NR retrofit???
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Not yet for the F25, but seems to be possible for the X5/X6 so I'm sure there will be a solution in due time. At this point it's not even worth it I would say. Hopefully it will be in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Bmorejoe
Bmorejoe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

I also have a F25 that was built prior to April 2011. While I really like the car, it was marketed in early 2011 that if I purchased the Tech Package (which I did) the iDrive Office would support functions such as calendar, mail, etc., once my mobile device operating system was upgraded (in my case this is an iPhone4).

We all know this is not the case, as only cars equipped with 6NR are capable of doing this. Grrrrrrr.

I've recently heard from BMW NA through my dealer that a retrofit is being developed, yet no sense of timing or which vehicles will be included. I suggest you join me in keeping up the pressure by calling into Customer Service, your dealership, etc. so we can get the benefits of what we thought we purchased.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorejoe View Post
I also have a F25 that was built prior to April 2011. While I really like the car, it was marketed in early 2011 that if I purchased the Tech Package (which I did) the iDrive Office would support functions such as calendar, mail, etc., once my mobile device operating system was upgraded (in my case this is an iPhone4).

We all know this is not the case, as only cars equipped with 6NR are capable of doing this. Grrrrrrr.

I've recently heard from BMW NA through my dealer that a retrofit is being developed, yet no sense of timing or which vehicles will be included. I suggest you join me in keeping up the pressure by calling into Customer Service, your dealership, etc. so we can get the benefits of what we thought we purchased.
There is some confusion here. 6NR and BMW Office are different things. 6NR with BMW ConnectedDrive gives you some calendar functionality but this isn't the same as the BMW Office calendar and the other read-out-loud SMS and email functionality you get with BMW Office.

BMW Office is currently only supported by some Blackberry models. It's not supported by any iPhone models including the latest iOS 5 and iPhone 4S. A 6NR retrofit will not "enable" the BMW Office functionality, it will just provide some similar functions such as the calendar integration. You can only get the full BMW Office functionality by getting a compatible phone.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
There may be a retrofit that comes available, and there will likely be some aftermarket products that arrive... ALL of which will cost substantially more than the $250 factory option. At that price point, I really don't know why everyone doesn't check the box. You are likely to have the vehicle for several years... you might want it later, even if you think you don't now.

One of my favorite aftermarket iPod/iPhone integration products (don't know the name, but see it every month in 'Roundel') is the one that docks the device vertically like a stereo dock - and looks like it is in the center console. I giggle every time I see it - that thing is designed to get broken!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
There may be a retrofit that comes available, and there will likely be some aftermarket products that arrive... ALL of which will cost substantially more than the $250 factory option. At that price point, I really don't know why everyone doesn't check the box.
Most people who pay for a 6NR retrofit will be X3 owners pre April 2011 production, i.e. no box to tick

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Most people who pay for a 6NR retrofit will be X3 owners pre April 2011 production, i.e. no box to tick

+1 that would be me
      11-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
mikey_1686
England
Rep
Drives: Dec 2010 X3 (F25)

Hi everyone
What I can't understand is why the best car manufacturer in the world cannot obtain the access codes for the Apple iPhone(the best phone in the world) so that the Office function can work .

Last edited by mikey_1686; 11-20-2011 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_1686 View Post
Hi everyone
What I can't understand is why the best car manufacturer in the world cannot obtain the access codes for the Apple iPhone(the best phone in the world) so that the Office function can work .
Apple are the problem not BMW. BMW Office works using Bluetooth Message Access Profile. This isn't supported on any iPhone even though the technology has been available for some time already

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Update posted here http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=210

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

What do you understand about software updates during dealer service? Will that impact this 6NR retrofit?
      12-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
What do you understand about software updates during dealer service? Will that impact this 6NR retrofit?
I think if the dealer updated the software it might use a list of options registered to the car and therefore it would need to be coded again as it would "forget" you had option 6NR and not re-enable it. I'm not sure exactly how this works as it could also detect what the car had (a la plug and play). My thinking on this is that at worse it's a re-code that can be done remotely again. I'll ask the question to BimmerTech and let you know.

I had to fight hard to get the dealer to give me a software update and it takes hours and is costly so unless there is something wrong or they have a policy of always updating the software as part of a service, you may not get the software updated

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I have checked this with Patryk and he said that if the software is updated they will disable 6NR but there should be activation codes available soon to re-enable it. I'm not due a service until about Feb 2013 so if they do need to update the software as part of that service, I'll find out what the latest situation is at the time.

Appreciate 0