BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
beemsdream
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 3.5i N55 F25

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Drivetrain Issues When Shifting into Reverse

I have a 2011 X3 35i N55 with 136,000 miles on it. When I first go to start up my car and back it out of the garage in the morning, it feels like the brakes are on. Most times when I shift the car into reverse it almost jumps and will not roll backward without heavy acceleration. There are no warning lights or faults on the dash. There is also nothing coming up on my Schwaben Multi-System Elite Scanner either. There is no issue putting the car in park or drive only when shifting it into reverse to back up.

So far I have replaced the transmission filter, drivetrain oil, and also heated the car up and shifted through the gears as they say to do after replacing these parts. Even after doing these things my issue still occurs.

Any and all suggestions or past experiences with this or a similar issue would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Steve Beemer
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

Your in the rust belt so make sure none of the calipers are frozen and that the contacts for the pads and brake pins are greased properly.. also check and make sure the electronic park brake actuates. These transmissions are pretty strong compared to bmw’s previous automatics, for your own piece of mind those transmissions whine extremely loud when low on fluid.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
beemsdream
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30lover318i View Post
Your in the rust belt so make sure none of the calipers are frozen and that the contacts for the pads and brake pins are greased properly.. also check and make sure the electronic park brake actuates. These transmissions are pretty strong compared to bmw’s previous automatics, for your own piece of mind those transmissions whine extremely loud when low on fluid.
Thank you so much for your quick response! I will defiantly check to make sure that the brakes are not frozen. When driving it, however, it does not feel like they are on at all. I also have not heard any loud whining noises but is still great information to know. I should also mention that for whatever reason it seems like the issue seems to go away after I have been driving the car for a while and it has warmed up to normal running temperature. I am unsure how this relates to my issue lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Did the problem happen before or after you changed the trans fluid?
Exactly what steps did you perform to fill the trans to the correct level?
Have you put the trans in neutral and roll backward to make sure the parking brake is fully releasing?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
beemsdream
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Did the problem happen before or after you changed the trans fluid?
Exactly what steps did you perform to fill the trans to the correct level?
Have you put the trans in neutral and roll backward to make sure the parking brake is fully releasing?
The issue happened before changing the transmission filter and fluid. I changed these things in hopes of that fixing the problem. I drained the transmission fluid. Removed the filter housing. Installed the new filter housing. Torqued and tightened in order per the installation diagram. Then filled the transmission with a large syringe. Warmed the car up to the specified temperature. Removed the side fill plug when it was running at temperature and added more fluid until it started to come back out the side fill plug hole. Finally, with the car elevated, with my foot on the brake, I shifted through park, drive, and reverse three times, and then manually shifted through all 8 gears. I climbed under the car once more and topped off the transmission fluid. I have not tried to push the car back while in neutral. I will attempt this.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds like you definitely used the correct method for the transmissions service. Did the fluid look good?

Try the pushing in neutral cold see if she feels like she’s rolling smooth. Just for piece of mind look up the throttle rest just Incase you have some weird adaptations going on or something

Another question these cars have a hill hold mode. Is your drive way steep or the area you park in ? Perhaps this hill hold mode is engaging ??

Last edited by e30lover318i; 12-06-2020 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:05 PM   #7
beemsdream
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30lover318i View Post
Sounds like you definitely used the correct method for the transmissions service. Did the fluid look good?

Try the pushing in neutral cold see if she feels like she’s rolling smooth. Just for piece of mind look up the throttle rest just Incase you have some weird adaptations going on or something

Another question these cars have a hill hold mode. Is your drive way steep or the area you park in ? Perhaps this hill hold mode is engaging ??
The fluid looked dirty but there wasn't debris of any kind on the magnetic drain plug. It also did not have a burnt smell. I will reset the throttle adaptations tomorrow. The car is parked on a flat surface so I do not believe that the hill mode would be engaging.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
beemsdream
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemsdream View Post
I have a 2011 X3 35i N55 with 136,000 miles on it. When I first go to start up my car and back it out of the garage in the morning, it feels like the brakes are on. Most times when I shift the car into reverse it almost jumps and will not roll backward without heavy acceleration. There are no warning lights or faults on the dash. There is also nothing coming up on my Schwaben Multi-System Elite Scanner either. There is no issue putting the car in park or drive only when shifting it into reverse to back up.

So far I have replaced the transmission filter, drivetrain oil, and also heated the car up and shifted through the gears as they say to do after replacing these parts. Even after doing these things my issue still occurs.

Any and all suggestions or past experiences with this or a similar issue would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Steve Beemer
I would just like to provide an update on the car after checking a couple more things. When I went out to the car this morning after it sitting in the garage all night I started the car and shifted it into neutral and was not able to push the car back at all. When the car was in neutral it was creeping forward when the brake pedal was released. After driving the car around for +20 minutes when I shifted into neutral it was not creeping forward anymore at all and when I shifted back into reverse it would bake up with little to no resistance. My hunch is telling me that the issue has got to be something with the transmission itself or the steptronic shifter mechanism. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmmmm. It is entirely possible the trans is failing, last I can think of is transfer case and differential service. How long have you had your x3 for ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
beemsdream
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
I’ve owned it for two years no issues at all I really love this car the person before me was a older person and bye the looks of the car it was really taken care of. So my next thing too try will be lift the car up on all four wheels and check trans level remove side plug see if any comes out when car is running I’ve driven it enough and temps are where it should be circulated throughout the transmission I’ve ordered redline full synthetic transmission fluid and a bottle transmission seal conditioner this will make the seals swell hoping that it will make the transmission shifts smooth and then give me a reverse back I will keep you posted on the outcome thank you everyone for posting your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #11
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Do remember that fluid will drain from the fill plug is the car is off. Read the DIY on trans filling. Anyway, to top up it must be 40-50 deg c with engine idling in park. Be careful and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #12
beemsdream
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Thanks Dan
I just drove it around the block still shifting with a slight shimmer when coming to a stop. After she warms up I have reverse. Looking forward to lifting her up and checking the level of fluid. Yes I did bring it up to temp 40/50 C to finish filling her up I’m really hoping that changing the fluid to redline C4 full synthetic and adding the transmission seal conditioner from AC delco will make a difference.
Thank you for your input it very much appreciative
Steve Beemer
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #13
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
I just drove it around the block still shifting with a slight shimmer when coming to a stop. After she warms up I have reverse. Looking forward to lifting her up and checking the level of fluid. Yes I did bring it up to temp 40/50 C to finish filling her up I’m really hoping that changing the fluid to redline C4 full synthetic and adding the transmission seal conditioner from AC delco will make a difference.
Steve Beemer
If the trans is not working correctly with the manufactures fluid, I wouldn't think changing it to an aftermarket fluid will cause it so start working properly. I don't know how a seal conditioner is going to cause it to start working properly either and may cause problems. Professional diagnostics my be required.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:
Steve Beemer
If the trans is not working correctly with the manufactures fluid, I wouldn't think changing it to an aftermarket fluid will cause it so start working properly. I don't know how a seal conditioner is going to cause it to start working properly either and may cause problems. Professional diagnostics my be required.
If anything it's likely going to cause issues. The ZF8 is very picky about the friction of the fluid, you should only use ZF fluid.

Shuttering in low speed is usually a transfer case symptom, not transmission. But sounds like OP might have issues with bad seals in trans.

OP you can pour $10,000 on attempted "what if" fixes or take it to a reputable shop for diagnosis. You'll be better off getting an expert to find the problem, everyone here is only able to speculate at best since we can't physically be with the vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #15
beemsdream
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Sorry for the long delay so I took the car to a transmission shop that does work on BMW I found a transmission with 44 thousand miles and replaced it. The owner said the trans was shot it had metal all over the filter pan so I guess it was the right call. I’m a happy owner of a 2011 m sport 335i that’s running great. Thanks to everyone that gave me advice.
Sincerely
Steve Beemer
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #16
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

glad ya got the issue sorted out

side note, is your last name really "beemer"? if so ... that is darn cool
Appreciate 0