BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Bus.Metro.Walk
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

2011 X3 EPS thrust piece questions

Hi guys,

I hope everyone is doing well!

I got that famous EPS thrust piece replaced today with the original repair kit. It was knocking all over the place when I would shake the steering wheel with the engine off.

Right after I took it out of the shop, I noticed the wheel was suddenly about 20 degrees off center. I had read on this apparently common issue before, but nowhere it mentioned that a wheel alignment would be required after replacing the parts. So is it required or something else went wrong during the installation? I did read that if the piece is over tightened, that the wheels may not recenter themselves easily when driving the car, or there would be perhaps too much resistance when turning the steering wheel, but I am not experiencing any of those.

What does it do anyway? I had found a written workshop making it seem like it's part of a spacecraft, requiring a bunch of special tools and a digital torque reader, while some DIYers just unscrew the whole thing, change it, then put it all back together without any other real consideration for alignment or actual torque specs.

I've taken an appointment for an alignment next Monday, but just before I spent the money I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Please enlighten me, and thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Replacing the part should not effect alignment. The special tools are used to install the part and make the critical adjustments when tightening the new part. Did the installer use the special measuring tools to make the adjustments? Many people just make the adjustment by feel without the measuring equipment. Curious what they charged you for the work?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
Bus.Metro.Walk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Replacing the part should not effect alignment. The special tools are used to install the part and make the critical adjustments when tightening the new part. Did the installer use the special measuring tools to make the adjustments? Many people just make the adjustment by feel without the measuring equipment. Curious what they charged you for the work?
They didn't really charge me anything because I brought them the part myself and I got the water pump and thermostat replaced + an oil change, so that alone was super expensive. I know the shop, they specialize in German cars and so I would assume they know what they're doing, but I do find the wheel situation odd.

On the other hand though, my wheels come back straight when I turn, there isn't any notable excess of friction so how would improper torque on that eps thrust have anything to do with actual steering/wheel alignment? Is there some kind of electronic reset to do after the job?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus.Metro.Walk View Post
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is doing well!

I got that famous EPS thrust piece replaced today with the original repair kit. It was knocking all over the place when I would shake the steering wheel with the engine off.

Right after I took it out of the shop, I noticed the wheel was suddenly about 20 degrees off center. I had read on this apparently common issue before, but nowhere it mentioned that a wheel alignment would be required after replacing the parts. So is it required or something else went wrong during the installation? I did read that if the piece is over tightened, that the wheels may not recenter themselves easily when driving the car, or there would be perhaps too much resistance when turning the steering wheel, but I am not experiencing any of those.

What does it do anyway? I had found a written workshop making it seem like it's part of a spacecraft, requiring a bunch of special tools and a digital torque reader, while some DIYers just unscrew the whole thing, change it, then put it all back together without any other real consideration for alignment or actual torque specs.

I've taken an appointment for an alignment next Monday, but just before I spent the money I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Please enlighten me, and thank you!
If the 12 o clock position on the steering wheel is not at the center top position when the wheels are straight then they either adjusted the tie rod ends incorrectly or the steering gear is out of place with where it was before the work took place.

Just take it back and have them correct it. They made a mistake and should fix it at no cost to you since you paid for the service to be done correctly.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus.Metro.Walk View Post
They didn't really charge me anything because I brought them the part myself and I got the water pump and thermostat replaced + an oil change, so that alone was super expensive. I know the shop, they specialize in German cars and so I would assume they know what they're doing, but I do find the wheel situation odd.

On the other hand though, my wheels come back straight when I turn, there isn't any notable excess of friction so how would improper torque on that eps thrust have anything to do with actual steering/wheel alignment? Is there some kind of electronic reset to do after the job?
The original part is made from a softer plastic which is prone to wear, causing a knocking sound in the rack. The new part has been revised with longer wearing material as well has o-rings rings for less friction, allowing the part to slide easier to prolong the life. My guess is they removed the tie rod end to replace the thrust piece, which is completely unnecessary. If the tie rod was not reinstalled in the exact same location as before it was removed, the steering wheel will be off, as well as the alignment.

As I said the thrust adjustment has nothing to due with the steering wheel alignment. There is no electronic reset that needs to be performed, the thrust piece is completely mechanical.

As 6MT_Addict said, take it back to them and have them fix it. It probably needs an alignment to center the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Bus.Metro.Walk
Rep

Quote:
The original part is made from a softer plastic which is prone to wear, causing a knocking sound in the rack. The new part has been revised with longer wearing material as well has o-rings rings for less friction, allowing the part to slide easier to prolong the life. My guess is they removed the tie rod end to replace the thrust piece, which is completely unnecessary. If the tie rod was not reinstalled in the exact same location as before it was removed, the steering wheel will be off, as well as the alignment.

As I said the thrust adjustment has nothing to due with the steering wheel alignment. There is no electronic reset that needs to be performed, the thrust piece is completely mechanical.

As 6MT_Addict said, take it back to them and have them fix it. It probably needs an alignment to center the steering wheel.
Thank you guys, I ended up going in for an alignment anyway. I just purchased the car about a month ago and who knows when the last alignment was done, so I figured it wouldn't hurt except perhaps my wallet lol.

They probably indeed disconnected the inner tie rod for easier access, and looking at the alignment summary, all 4 wheels needed some adjustments, so it wasn't in vain.

I hope it's going to be reliable now. It's a 2011 3.0L, 80K miles, 1 owner, very clean for a car that is going to be 10 years old in the next few months, but then again it started with a lot of stress when the coolant expansion tank just exploded on me while the car was idling. That's why I got the water pump and thermostat changed, and of course that thrust piece that was knocking, along with the 2 front end links. BMWs and their notorious water pump issues that's been ongoing for years and years

Either way, all I need now is a bit of luck, I really like the car.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated, and I wish you all happy holidays!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Sounds like a nice ending. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0