BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

X3 Acceleration Simulation - Requests?

The model appears sound, as discussed in 'Wish List' (http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015499).

Make no mistake this is not an attempt at professional software, but for those just trying to understand how these different factors play in our day-to-day driving it is hoped this can provide some insight.

This simulation can model a number of factors, but what it can't do is provide detailed tire modeling, temperature variances, or the finesse of gearing and torque. With that said, I am finding it a remarkably adept program across multiple vehicle frames and engines, so much appreciation to the team who developed it (reference in the noted thread). I am not versed in this realm, so their teachings are much appreciated.

The simulations I have considered and begun developing so far:

1. Base model, sea level, level grade, and no extra load other than EU unladen. To be able to compare our current models with the future 40i and M, I'm running those first as if they had our current body dynamics (old Cd, etc). I guessed that the 40i might weigh 25 kg more than the 35d, so it is at 1,960 kg, and the M was empirically given 2,020 kg.

2. Base with 250 kg load (2 adults, 2 children, and 60 kg or so of luggage), 3 % grade, and 2K meters altitude.

3. Base with 500 kg load (4 adults with a lot of camping gear), 4 % grade, and 3K meters (going camping in the mountains).

4. Base with corrections for what to possibly expect in the G01 - lower Cd, slightly improved engine efficiency (?), and roughly 200 lbs less weight.

If you all have any other scenarios you want me to plug in, I'll be happy to assist. And for those reading who may be Engineers and/or Physicists, please understand this is simply an attempt by one uneducated in this wonderful field to make sense of all of these forces at play in these great X3s we drive.
Appreciate 0