BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
jxterma
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3 35i

Help!!Parking brake Malfunction Warning after brake replacement

Last night, I replaced rear brake pads and rotor on the driver side ONLY. I followed the Youtube instructions to unwind the actuator(clockwise), pushed the piston in, re-connected the cable, went through dashboard reset just to see if everything was fine. Then realized I had the power on all the time I know I should've followed the instruction carefully. I don't know what got into me. Now the "Parking Brake Malfunction" warning stays on. I tried engaging/releasing parking brake a few times. Nothing happened. The parking brake LED does not turn on.
I took everything off again and found the piston was still retracted(probably never moved). The slave side of actuator was still unwounded all the way(clockwise). The drive side of actuator virtually has no damage.
I tried re-connecting the actuator cable(this time with engine off, power off, car locked). No luck.
I think I've messed up the computer by leaving the power on while changing the brake. Probably no one here has done something as stupid, but does anyone know how to reset the warning in scenario like this?!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
jleighton
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

Ever solve this?

I know this is a really old post, but I'm having the same issue. What was the fix?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Not sure the answer to the OP question..BUT..why would you ever just replace ONE rotor? You ALWAYS replace them in pairs.................
      12-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
javabean44
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Following
Appreciate 0