BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

tailgate opens itself?

this morning i parked my x3 outside my office, opened the tailgate to get my briefcase, and pressed the close-and-lock button. i walked away without watching, but noted the beep signalling the doors were locked before i entered the building. when i went outside after work, the tailgate was wide open. this is the second time this has happened. i recall an earlier thread on this subject, but haven't been able to locate it with the search. is anyone else experiencing this?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk View Post
this morning i parked my x3 outside my office, opened the tailgate to get my briefcase, and pressed the close-and-lock button. i walked away without watching, but noted the beep signalling the doors were locked before i entered the building. when i went outside after work, the tailgate was wide open. this is the second time this has happened. i recall an earlier thread on this subject, but haven't been able to locate it with the search. is anyone else experiencing this?

you might want to take this to the dealer for safety reasons from the public.
especially when your doing your grocery, because little children might get hit when walking by, get sued after. I do work my body and i have to say, that the tailgate when it opens, its really strong like, your carrying around 40-50lbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
poppap
Rep
Drives: getting 2013 X3 28i

I did happened to me once but it turns out that I have the key in my back pocket and sit on the key thus opening the tailgate...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I haven't noticed what it does if it encounters and obstacle. Does it open back up? Any chance it ran into something that prevented it from latching and opened up?
      05-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

This happened to me several times, but stopped when I moved the key from my pants pocket (cluttered) to my coat pocket (empty).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

when there is something in the way, the door stops where it is. It does not go back up. At least from my experience
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I haven't noticed what it does if it encounters and obstacle. Does it open back up? Any chance it ran into something that prevented it from latching and opened up?
Mine sometime will open back when there are obstacles. Sometimes when the stuffs is just blocking the tailgate a little bit, it won't open back.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

In my experience its usually always because you've caught the button the fob unintentionally
      05-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
jk
Private First Class
Rep

just ordered a leather key case from amazon. i'm hoping that will solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Sometimes when I press the close and lock button or lock the car and then press the close button after, it will close and beep when shut, but then beep again and open back up. Seems that the locked latch might be tripping the obstacle sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
TigerFan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk View Post
Not sure if this applies, but the only time I've experienced this, I had accidentally left the key in the back while unloading.

I hit the lock button (comfort access), tailgate swings down, car beeps, I turn around and it starts beeping again and the gate opens up. It took me about 5 sec to realize what was going on and that I didn't have the key. Nice feature to keep from locking yourself out.

Any chance your key fob or spare key is inside the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

Interesting. I've had valets lock the fob in the car with no problems (door not locking or tailgate opening.

My wife would join me later with her fob or I can unlock the car with the iphone.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

This has happened a number of times with mine.
I had been blaming the wife - bad move !!

All too easy to think the button has been pressed accidentally but - I discovered that when it occurs the lid does not fully open to the top of its normal open position. If it were an inadvertent button press it would. On one occasion we were close enough to hear an alarm beep inside the car, as it raised up, immediately before stopping.

It also seemed to then go into a strange mode where it would not close with the remote but needed a press on the tailgate button. Do you have that?

The car is currently with the dealer on long term test (I'm out of country for 5 weeks so quite a good time for that). Unfortunately it has not occurred for them. Yet.

One other "feature" I noted is that it "always" seems to happen just a few minutes after switching off and closing the tailgate. I am thinking there may be an interaction between the software closedown sequence and the comfort access.

Big problem is the rare intermittent nature of the issue - all too easy to blame yourself (or the wife!) It has only happened to us 4 times in a year but is a major concern if it might happen when the car is parked up for a few weeks in a public place (like an airport carpark) Hopefully we will just have to check 10 minutes after parking to be sure - I do not hold a great deal of hope that the dealer will find it - can't afford to leave the car for a 3 month test ... but this is an ideal occasion where a large number of us can test.

You are not alone!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
jk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post
Not sure if this applies, but the only time I've experienced this, I had accidentally left the key in the back while unloading.

I hit the lock button (comfort access), tailgate swings down, car beeps, I turn around and it starts beeping again and the gate opens up. It took me about 5 sec to realize what was going on and that I didn't have the key. Nice feature to keep from locking yourself out.

Any chance your key fob or spare key is inside the car?
no. fob was in my pocket. spare was at home, 20 miles away.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

Dealer has been unable to reproduce the fault under test but has ordered a replacement instrument cluster. All the comfort functions run through the cluster and the two proven reproducible faults after it came back open were:
1. The lid would only operate through the tailgate button not the fob and
2. that the LED display at the instrument base was completely blank after the tailgate stuck.
After the car had been switched off long enough to fully power down everything appeared to return to normal. If we had not been nearby when it happened the last time, it would have powered down, reset then appeared perfectly normal.

Just luck that it happened when we could "catch" the fault, near to the dealer, and could demonstrate it.
And to have a dealer that would properly check it out and take action.
Appreciate 0