BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Anyone getting a noticeable noise coming from steering column area over rough bumps?

I just started to notice this yesterday, so I might just be going crazy because I've got some serious hyper-vigilance when it comes to car sounds....

When I drive over a rough or prononced bump (like a small pot hole) I seem to be getting a bouncing "thud" or "pop" coming from the steering column area. I can't seem to place what it might be.

I'm not close to taking it in yet until I can narrow it down a little further. Anyone else notice this?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
I just started to notice this yesterday, so I might just be going crazy because I've got some serious hyper-vigilance when it comes to car sounds....

When I drive over a rough or prononced bump (like a small pot hole) I seem to be getting a bouncing "thud" or "pop" coming from the steering column area. I can't seem to place what it might be.

I'm not close to taking it in yet until I can narrow it down a little further. Anyone else notice this?

Was Your wife or Girlfriend in the car?
I always get those sounds from that area when I have female company in the car. Especially when I drive over bumps. Strange..

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-22-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andZ4owner View Post
Was Your wife or Girlfriend in the car?
I always get those sounds from that area when I have female company in the car. Strange..
Yea....and she has some noticeable bruising on the back of her head. No idea where the correlation comes from.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Must be an X3 phenomen ...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:

Yes my car makes this noise and I have turned it in to the dealer. They ordered the wrong part for it and so they've had my car for about a week. I thought I was the only one.

It is fixable. I just don't know by what yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Yes my car makes this noise and I have turned it in to the dealer. They ordered the wrong part for it and so they've had my car for about a week. I thought I was the only one.

Excellent. If you would let me know what the part is after it's fixed and if it worked I'd appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

Quote:

Once again Juddholland? Are you one of the chosen ones to endure the kinks and problems? Since you and Lotus7 are doing so well at it I will be happy to let you continue. Seriously,good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

another issue...good to know there is a fix
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
Mardoq
Rep
Drives: Audi a5

If you do read/speak german, I think this is discussed in length in the following forum

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/polte...-t3289347.html

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

http://translate.google.com/translat...7.html&act=url
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Steven40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d F25

Do you know already what it is ?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1 View Post
Once again Juddholland? Are you one of the chosen ones to endure the kinks and problems? Since you and Lotus7 are doing so well at it I will be happy to let you continue. Seriously,good luck!
Check my lemon thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Update: I finally got around to taking my car in to get this issue looked at and because my rear vents simply stopped moving air. The air vent issue was apparently a "broken tab"....whatever that means. It's an easy fix. As for the noticeable "clunking/popping" coming from my steering column seemingly coming from my front left suspension, this is the email I just received:

"As for the clunking in the steering column, the shop foreman told me that he compared your X3 with a few other of the same year/model and they were unable to find anything out of place. Your vehicle also has the EDC option for the Electronic Dampening Control which will allow you to set the stiffness of the suspension. He informed me that the type of shock absorbers used with this system are hollow and can sometimes create a feeling of feedback. He still needs to finish visually inspecting the entire front suspension which he will do tomorrow morning. He advised me that he foresees no problems with you being able to pick up the vehicle tomorrow afternoon. I will contact you tomorrow to update you on our progress."

I don't accept what the shop forman is saying. I need to clarify this with him tomorrow, but if he's feeling what I'm feeling and he thinks is normal...then he's not that intelligent. If he doesn't notice it, then he's not that observant. It seems to happen when I go over tight bumps at speed and the suspension is quickly hitting the "down" posistion.

Again, anyone else have this issue and/or have a fix?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #14
Steven40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d F25

My car is in the garage this week to fix a few things like changing turbo and
the whole steering.
I had also the same issue as you, they said there is to much backlash on the steering and when you drive over a rough bump you even feel it in the steering wheel.
Now they put a heavier steering but I had to wait for it more than 4 months !
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

I have a strange "squeeshing" noise (like the tire rubbing against something) coming from my left front wheel.. it is not loud and not continuous... but it just keeps coming on and off...

I am debating whether I should get it checked by my dealer...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #16
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
I have a strange "squeeshing" noise (like the tire rubbing against something) coming from my left front wheel.. it is not loud and not continuous... but it just keeps coming on and off...

I am debating whether I should get it checked by my dealer...
I would definitely get that fixed. Sounds like a bad bearing to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I guess I have to take this to another dealer. This is such nonsense.

Today's reply:

"As for the clunking in the suspension, my shop foreman has been looking for another X3 with the EDC option to compare to your vehicle but he has been unable to find one so far. He inspected the suspension and did not see anything out of line.

He does notice the feeling that you are getting in the steering column but he still feels that it is related to the hollow shocks that are part of the EDC option. He is more than happy to speak with you when you stop in to pick up, go for a test drive with you or even put the vehicle up on a lift and go over it with you. Let me know what you would like to do or if you have any other questions."
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #18
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I have to take this to another dealer. This is such nonsense.

Today's reply:

"As for the clunking in the suspension, my shop foreman has been looking for another X3 with the EDC option to compare to your vehicle but he has been unable to find one so far. He inspected the suspension and did not see anything out of line.

He does notice the feeling that you are getting in the steering column but he still feels that it is related to the hollow shocks that are part of the EDC option. He is more than happy to speak with you when you stop in to pick up, go for a test drive with you or even put the vehicle up on a lift and go over it with you. Let me know what you would like to do or if you have any other questions."
Sorry to hear that. The dealer never figured it out. It's still sitting in the service department; they ordered me a new one in June and I received it a few weeks ago. Don't go to a different dealer. Keep bringing it back so that you can declare it a lemon after the third service visit.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. The dealer never figured it out. It's still sitting in the service department; they ordered me a new one in June and I received it a few weeks ago. Don't go to a different dealer. Keep bringing it back so that you can declare it a lemon after the third service visit.

Good luck.
After talking to them yesterday, it seems that your 2nd vehicle did not include the EDC option. They are saying that they believe that sound is inherant to that option. That seems odd to me, but I'm going to do some more homework.

I didn't buy my car from Perillo. I just live in Bucktown so it's close to me than bringing it back to Fields. What I'm going to do now is do a little more research, then let Fields have a crack at it when I'm due for my first oil change. I can get a loner car that way and let them take their time.

Perillo was as friendly and accomodating as they could be, but the shop foreman was 100% convinced that every car with EDC will have this clunking sound in the steering column....or that he has no idea how to fix it if it does.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck.
After talking to them yesterday, it seems that your 2nd vehicle did not include the EDC option. They are saying that they believe that sound is inherant to that option. That seems odd to me, but I'm going to do some more homework.

I didn't buy my car from Perillo. I just live in Bucktown so it's close to me than bringing it back to Fields. What I'm going to do now is do a little more research, then let Fields have a crack at it when I'm due for my first oil change. I can get a loner car that way and let them take their time.

Perillo was as friendly and accomodating as they could be, but the shop foreman was 100% convinced that every car with EDC will have this clunking sound in the steering column....or that he has no idea how to fix it if it does.
Okay both of the X3 orders had the same spec (both have EDC), except this new one has the 309s and the HUD. Don't listen to them, ever. They lie a lot. And they're typically stupid in that service department.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Okay both of the X3 orders had the same spec (both have EDC), except this new one has the 309s and the HUD. Don't listen to them, ever. They lie a lot. And they're typically stupid in that service department.
Good information....and you're saying that you do not have the same steering column shake with your new car? Just need to clarify that before I move on.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #22
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good information....and you're saying that you do not have the same steering column shake with your new car? Just need to clarify that before I move on.
There is a noise but it's nowhere near as pronounced or alarming as before. And it doesn't happen when I take turns with banking or intersection dips anymore.
Appreciate 0