BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
BMW-X
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

2015 X3 front license plate holder

I just purchased a new 2015 X3 Xline, and want to mount a license plate on the front of the vehicle without having to drill holes. Has anyone found any screwless license plate holders that fit the 2015?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

"Skene Design" works well. Does require a couple of small holes under the bumper (but not drilling into the face of the bumper). There also are other creative lower cost options (zip ties, etc) and several quick release systems that attach to the front tow hook.
Attached Images

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i have one for sale, oh wait are u in the US? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
They actually listened this time and didn't drill out my front bumper. I am going to try and see if I can find a way to center it under the front bumper. Are you allowed to trim the plate down an inch or 2?
Otherwise, this in white.
http://www.usmillworks.com/bmw_front..._tow_hook.html

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 4.0D M Sport

Screwless number plates

Hi BMW-X,
I have used double sided tape, 15/20mm wide, for a number of years on a previous X5, X1 and current 2013 X3.
Just make sure that you very lightly sand the back of the plate (ours here in the UK are oblong front and rear ) and also VERY LIGHTLY with very, very fine sand paper or equivalent paste the corresponding areas in three places on the body. Make sure these are 5/10mm in from the corresponding area of the plate so that they are not visible.
I have always used this method and provided you are careful and take your time it is almost impossible to see the sanded areas when the plates are removed. Needless to say all surfaces must be completely free from dust and moisture when being applied.
I have always had all our cars jet washed and hand washed at local washes without ever having any plates come loose. Also have a Ford C-Max and that is the same .
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

Have you trued GoMiniGo? Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
zagil9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xdrive28i M Sport

I fully understand the reason why one wouldn't want to drill holes into a perfect virgin bumper. What I don't understand though is why the tow hook mounted license plate holder is any better -- aesthetically it looks awful and very unbalanced, screwing up the look of the front end.

You'll need that license plate mounted the entire time you own the vehicle (unless of course you move to a state that doesn't require such). When you go to sell/trade the vehicle, having holes or not having holes won't matter either way. It just seems odd to me to endure this off balanced look for the duration of ownership. My bracket hasn't been drilled in yet, but when I get my license plates next month it won't pain me to see it drilled into the center of my bumper providing a clean, balanced look.

Past BMWs:
2011 E70 xDrive50i
2006 E90 330xi
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

http://www.usmillworks.com/ have an amazing product!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:55 AM   #9
BMW-X
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

Well I live in Germany right now and will need to put a European plate on the front of the vehicle. I don't want to drill holes because the state I'll be going back to does not require front plates. I do think the tow hook plate holders look awkward, but would not mind it since I would not be using it once back in the states. My only concern with that type of license plate holder, is wether or not it will block the sensors?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #10
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

Google "Skene Design". Can center and adjust height of plate. European design also available.
Attached Images

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagil9 View Post
I fully understand the reason why one wouldn't want to drill holes into a perfect virgin bumper. What I don't understand though is why the tow hook mounted license plate holder is any better -- aesthetically it looks awful and very unbalanced, screwing up the look of the front end.

You'll need that license plate mounted the entire time you own the vehicle (unless of course you move to a state that doesn't require such). When you go to sell/trade the vehicle, having holes or not having holes won't matter either way. It just seems odd to me to endure this off balanced look for the duration of ownership. My bracket hasn't been drilled in yet, but when I get my license plates next month it won't pain me to see it drilled into the center of my bumper providing a clean, balanced look.
I agree that the offset tow hook mounted plate looks awful and if you had to fix a permanent plate holder...center would be best. IMO, any plate on the front bumper looks awful and the OEM plastic that BMW provides just looks cheap, damages the front bumper over time and comes loose. I went through enough issues in my 2011.
I plan on driving without a front plate. Yes, I know I will eventually get pulled over and that's when the tow hook holder comes into play. Sorry officer I forgot to put it back on after a wash etc. Is it ideal? No.
If it becomes such a PITA that I have to permanently attach it to the front, I'll try painting the bracket, tap it below the center clips and 3M it the top so it hopefully never comes loose. Screws into the plastic front bumper just don't work over time. Maybe I just had bad luck the first time around. Who knows. Would sure love to hear other ideas.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i bought lighten standard one but in black..the one with many holes.
even though i requested not to drill holes on front bumper, they still manage to do it . so im stuck with license plate holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
They actually listened this time and didn't drill out my front bumper. I am going to try and see if I can find a way to center it under the front bumper. Are you allowed to trim the plate down an inch or 2?
Otherwise, this in white.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
this design will not effect the parking sensor, you can check the website and it tells you how to mount.

Won't interfere with front parking sensors (PDC)
X5 Owners - because the plate must be fully offset for PDC, we recommend the Lightened kit.
Available in standard and lightened kits.
See gallery below for more pictures.

scroll to the bottom where the pic of X3 F25 with msport bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X View Post
Well I live in Germany right now and will need to put a European plate on the front of the vehicle. I don't want to drill holes because the state I'll be going back to does not require front plates. I do think the tow hook plate holders look awkward, but would not mind it since I would not be using it once back in the states. My only concern with that type of license plate holder, is wether or not it will block the sensors?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
zagil9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xdrive28i M Sport

Quote:
IMO, any plate on the front bumper looks awful
I couldn't agree more! I wish I was able to do as you suggest, carry the front plate around with you until pulled over. In the city of Denver unfortunately they'll get you when you're parked. They have a zero-tolerance for it. No plate, $75 ticket greets you as you return to your vehicle.

Past BMWs:
2011 E70 xDrive50i
2006 E90 330xi
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
this design will not effect the parking sensor, you can check the website and it tells you how to mount.

Won't interfere with front parking sensors (PDC)
X5 Owners - because the plate must be fully offset for PDC, we recommend the Lightened kit.
Available in standard and lightened kits.
See gallery below for more pictures.

scroll to the bottom where the pic of X3 F25 with msport bumper
The usmillworks would serve its purpose but now I am wondering will it even work on the LCI M-Sport bumper. If you look at the photos, the tow hitch sits just to the right of a substantial curve. What do you think?
I also like the Skene Design but it would need a plate holder. Can't see how the flimsy metal of a plate wouldn't get all messed up and damage the front bumper at highway speeds.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagil9 View Post
I couldn't agree more! I wish I was able to do as you suggest, carry the front plate around with you until pulled over. In the city of Denver unfortunately they'll get you when you're parked. They have a zero-tolerance for it. No plate, $75 ticket greets you as you return to your vehicle.
Looks like I may have to glue on that POS plastic plate holder. Didn't think about getting tickets while parked...and they do their job well here too.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #17
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
plate holder is not flimsy lol

i still have mines wrapped up, we can meet up and u can check it out for urself before u order it

i have the quick release one for when u need to wash the X3
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
csmits
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
The usmillworks would serve its purpose but now I am wondering will it even work on the LCI M-Sport bumper. If you look at the photos, the tow hitch sits just to the right of a substantial curve. What do you think?
I also like the Skene Design but it would need a plate holder. Can't see how the flimsy metal of a plate wouldn't get all messed up and damage the front bumper at highway speeds.
Did you figure out what to do for your numberplate? I am thinking about the US mill works solution and I emailed them to see if it would fit but they were not sure and would have to check. Didn't hear back from them.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #19
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
I ended up using zip ties to add and remove the plate holder. I can put up some pics if you want.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #20
pcheninhk
Rep
Drives: X3

Pls post some pic kozzi

Pictures of the plate with the zip tie would be appreciated.

Thanks kozzi!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
csmits
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I bought the towhook plate holder from cravenspeed for my 2015 M nose X3 and it works great. Does not interfere with the front parking sensors and the people at cravenspeed (cravenspeed.com) were very responsive and super friendly. (+ it is cheaper then the US millworks solution who never replied to my last 3 emails).
Can put up some pictures if you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #22
pcheninhk
Rep
Drives: X3

Pictures of the cravenspeed would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0