BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #23
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Hey, I also had a Freelander 2 for nearly 5 years and loved it despite its clonky manual gerbox and economy that averaged only 33mpg over 35000 miles. Agree that it desperately needs an update. Also had an Evoque on order for a few months but so glad I changed to the X3 - and as for that wonderful twin turbo six cylinder engine - how different to TD4!!
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Got confirmation from the dealer today that my X3 will be a 2013MY. It will get the Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO as standard as mentioned by a few of you on here so thats good news indeed.
Production week given is 19th May 2012 but the dealer has said it might well be brought forward..lets hope so.

Even though I havent got the X35d as you do, just on the test drive, the X3 was so much better to drive than the TD4. Much more refined. Granted the Freelander 2 is better offroad and having taken it offroad a few times, I can say that it is one of the best but I think the X3 will be capable at slight offroading.
Besides, it is a different world in the interior in the X3 over the Freelander 2.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #25
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

That's good news swf...hopefully mine will be a similar build date, have asked dealer but not years as yet.
What is the Eco pro mode / dynamics thing? Is yours an auto?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #26
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR40X3 View Post
That's good news swf...hopefully mine will be a similar build date, have asked dealer but not years as yet.
What is the Eco pro mode / dynamics thing? Is yours an auto?
Here is an extract from another site:

Quote:
“More than just an electronic ‘badge’ that are usually an intriguing gimmick for a few weeks but then forgotten, ECO PRO offers tangible benefits that offer the potential for game-changing developments in the future.

It is opt-in: drivers must select ECO PRO from the BMW drive select switch (‘anti-Sport’ as one engineer dubbed it). Doing so does three things:

Selects bespoke settings within engine ECU

Optimises electric load

•Displays ECO PRO screen

The electric load saver function is meritorious in itself. No mainstream maker has fitted a function that dials back the electrical consumption of accessories such as electric seats and heated rear window: a bit like the National Grid cutting power delivery to your house.

The interactive element is the snazzy bit. All the time you are consuming less fuel than the car’s combined average, the famed BMW economy gauge (now electronically represented) dives into the blue zone. Blue means you’re saving fuel – and the deeper you can get it in there, the more fuel you’re saving.

There’s more. To make it tangible, an additional readout, also in blue, shows how many miles more you’re getting from the tank. This is the ingenious part: the more you take it steady, the more miles you eek out.

It is reset each time you refuel, so is stored even if you turn the engine off. Thus, a permanent incentive to save fuel and claw the miles back. A savings account that’s in your hands – so if you want a ‘free’ 50-mile’ trip on the weekended, ease off to claw back the miles.”
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

When I was waiting to get my F25 from the dealer I got a new Series-1 as courtesy car. It had the ECO-Pro mode that I could appreciate. The description you give is perfect, it features also messages to the user in case you press too much on the throttle or you brake too hard and even for speed above a certain threshold (warning in terms of economy and not just mere save-your-license kind of). These messages can be switched off if too annoying. It also features a nice graphic (historgram) on the consumption, based on the last n minutes with N configurable between 8 minutes and one hour. Clearly the mode also affects the way the automatic gearbox decides when/how to shift.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

I would never use this mode so won't miss it! Tree huggers eat my torque
      03-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
I would never use this mode so won't miss it! Tree huggers eat my torque
I agree the ECO mode doesnt bother me but I'm worried about other fixes/changes that may being made behind the scenes that we arent being told about.

As my order stands its going to miss the 2013 model change by a week (mine is week 13) which I'm not over the moon about.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #30
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Agreed, process improvements may also be incorporated into the new build date.

I don't imagine a later build date would be 'worse'. ... and I won't likely use ECO mode much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
I agree the ECO mode doesnt bother me but I'm worried about other fixes/changes that may being made behind the scenes that we arent being told about.

As my order stands its going to miss the 2013 model change by a week (mine is week 13) which I'm not over the moon about.
Appreciate 0