BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Call me pessimistic but I don't think it will be because the Bluetooth technology required (effectively just a file transfer protocol as I understand it) has been on mobile phones since at least 2004 but Apple has never included it on any iPhone model. I've seen quite a few people complain to Apple on forums that they used to be able to send and receive SMS through a laptop using older model mobile phones and Bluetooth but can't do this with an iPhone.

I've written off any chance of this happening but I might be pleasantly surprised....
I believe that it is the Bluetooth Message Access Profile that is required. As far as I can tell, not many phones seem offer this yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #24
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
I believe that it is the Bluetooth Message Access Profile that is required. As far as I can tell, not many phones seem offer this yet.
I suspect the main reason is the Message Access Profile is not finalised, but is currently proposed within the Bluetooth SIG (special interest group) - The organization that oversees the specifications.

Phone manufacturers might have decided it was risky to adopt an incomplete specification that could change.

This is mostly speculation on my part....

Sucks for the consumer, they should just get on and finish it!

Last edited by pault; 05-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Spelling!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #25
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Sounds right to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #26
zlee11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
I suspect the main reason is the Message Access Profile is not finalised, but is currently proposed within the Bluetooth SIG (special interest group) - The organization that oversees the specifications.

Phone manufacturers might have decided it was risky to adopt an incomplete specification that could change.

Thanks Paul,
I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out whether Apple intends to add MAP to the iphone and why they have not done it yet. It's not just a big issue with BMW customers, Ford and Lincoln people can't use most of the MS Sync technology either. I added the BMW apps for one reason only: The back to my car tracking. I tend to not pay attention to where I park. There are lots of GPS tracking apps for the iphone, but you have to remember to set them before you leave the car. Now, if I understand this correctly... The IPhone will send a signal to the satellite and the satellite to the car. The position of the car is then sent back to to the iphone. This is so useful to me. But here are my lingering questions:
1) Is the snap in adapter required or can I connect the iphone to the car and BMW Apps via the Apple USB cable?
2) Exactly what features will be available with the snap in adapter, that I would not have with the the cable alone?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I'm not sure it has anything to do with MAP. The iPhone lacks even the most basic Bluetooth file transfer functionality that has been on other phones for 7-8 years.

Re. BMW Remote for finding your car, you don't need a snap-in adapter or BMW apps. You need a BMW Assist subscription and pro nav (biggest nav screen). It's limited to 1500m for privacy reasons

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I'm not sure it has anything to do with MAP. The iPhone lacks even the most basic Bluetooth file transfer functionality that has been on other phones for 7-8 years.

Re. BMW Remote for finding your car, you don't need a snap-in adapter or BMW apps. You need a BMW Assist subscription and pro nav (biggest nav screen). It's limited to 1500m for privacy reasons
Actually, BMW Office does use Bluetooth MAP. My bad. That actually makes it slightly more likely that it will be supported on an iPhone 5. But only slightly

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #29
mizzou81
Mizzou81
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i

Combox Controller

Does anyone know what the 6VC Combox Controller is?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #30
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou81 View Post
Does anyone know what the 6VC Combox Controller is?
Found this out on an X5 forum

"Combox controller is the integration between TCU, ULF and Ipod. It makes it all work much better than the old setup. You can now stream music from your phone via bluetooth and still use the steering wheel controls to switch songs, and if you use the USB cable you get full access with full description and album artwork etc. "
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #31
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Found this out on an X5 forum

"Combox controller is the integration between TCU, ULF and Ipod. It makes it all work much better than the old setup. You can now stream music from your phone via bluetooth and still use the steering wheel controls to switch songs, and if you use the USB cable you get full access with full description and album artwork etc. "
Wouldn't this render the Smartphone Integration obsolete?

This is the part I still don't completely understand.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #32
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpath View Post
Wouldn't this render the Smartphone Integration obsolete?

This is the part I still don't completely understand.
I'm with you on that, it continues to be confusing. The smartphone integration is included at zero cost when you added BMW Apps. It might be the smartphone integration remains to provide a bracket to clip the phone into. Perhaps some folks like that option, it does look good and nice and tidy. Personally I'd be happy to just have a cable to plug into the phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #33
guitarpath
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm with you on that, it continues to be confusing. The smartphone integration is included at zero cost when you added BMW Apps. It might be the smartphone integration remains to provide a bracket to clip the phone into. Perhaps some folks like that option, it does look good and nice and tidy. Personally I'd be happy to just have a cable to plug into the phone.
I have a 35i being built as I type this. I did not order the Smartphone Integration or BMW Apps because it seems to me to be unnecessary and redundant. You can get the all (or at least nearly all) of the features that Smartphone Integration offers through the Bluetooth connection via the combox controller.

I have an iPhone. However, I virtualy never listen to it as an iPod. Between my CD's, terrestrial radio, and satellite radio, I don't see the need to listen to Pandora or my iPod while I drive. Plus, do I really need to see album art while I drive? I don't see the appeal. Maybe I just haven't gotten with the program yet (kind of like how I am not on facebook).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #34
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

My 2 cents: I missed out on 6NR by a few weeks but am picking up the media adapter for the iPhone4 tomorrow (finally came in after ordering early March). Primary reason is I've noticed I don't use the white USB cable nearly as much due to inconvenience - takes too long to fish it out from under the cradle, plug in the phone and then let it float around on top of the cradle arm. A snap-n-go adapter seems much more user friendly and certainly looks cleaner.

I'm also going to remain somewhat optimistic that Apple will ultimately give in to the ever-growing car industry tech needs regarding Bluetooth. However, after reading a few posts here I'm now second guessing that this would just be a software update at some point. Having my work email and calendar available on the iDrive screen far outweighs all existing technology available in my car so fingers remained crossed.

Plugging an iPod into the USB and leaving in the car is an excellent alternative but for some reason, mine won't connect (car doesn't "find" it). I synced the iPod to ensure the software was current but no luck. The iPod is several years old so for now I'm guessing that's the problem. Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?

One final comment on the car's hard drive that I think I posted elsewhere. While not perfect, you can get playlists loaded separately by using different memory sticks. Then just rename each folder accordingly (playlist name) and select 'random' playback under options. Somewhat circumvents the naming flaw in the program. Just wish I could make 'random' the default but seems I have to reselect this from the options menu every time I access one of the folders/playlists.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #35
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauvil View Post
My 2 cents: I missed out on 6NR by a few weeks but am picking up the media adapter for the iPhone4 tomorrow (finally came in after ordering early March). Primary reason is I've noticed I don't use the white USB cable nearly as much due to inconvenience - takes too long to fish it out from under the cradle, plug in the phone and then let it float around on top of the cradle arm. A snap-n-go adapter seems much more user friendly and certainly looks cleaner.

I'm also going to remain somewhat optimistic that Apple will ultimately give in to the ever-growing car industry tech needs regarding Bluetooth. However, after reading a few posts here I'm now second guessing that this would just be a software update at some point. Having my work email and calendar available on the iDrive screen far outweighs all existing technology available in my car so fingers remained crossed.

Plugging an iPod into the USB and leaving in the car is an excellent alternative but for some reason, mine won't connect (car doesn't "find" it). I synced the iPod to ensure the software was current but no luck. The iPod is several years old so for now I'm guessing that's the problem. Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?

One final comment on the car's hard drive that I think I posted elsewhere. While not perfect, you can get playlists loaded separately by using different memory sticks. Then just rename each folder accordingly (playlist name) and select 'random' playback under options. Somewhat circumvents the naming flaw in the program. Just wish I could make 'random' the default but seems I have to reselect this from the options menu every time I access one of the folders/playlists.
Someone else experienced problems with the iPod not being "found". I have a Nano 5th gen (I think - the one with the camera) and it works well.

I think I'm going to opt for a 32GB USB flash drive with most of my music on it and leave it plugged into the car. You can get a cheap one for £20 - it doesn't need to be fast. The iPhone 4 cradle I'll then use for somewhere handy to keep the phone and for recharging.

Agree on the white lead. I've also damaged one already by closing the armrest on it accidentally. One drawback on keeping the iPhone in the cradle is that I close the armrest and then it's out of sight, out of mind and leave it in the car. Hopefully I'll stop doing this soon!

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #36
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:

Are you sure about that? According to this, version 1.0 of MAP has been adopted by Bluetooth SIG.

https://www.bluetooth.org/Technical/...ns/adopted.htm

If you click on the MAP .pdf document, it says this:

"V10r00 2009-06-04 Adopted by the Bluetooth SIG Board of Directors"

So it was adopted in June 2009.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #37
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have a 35i being built as I type this. I did not order the Smartphone Integration or BMW Apps because it seems to me to be unnecessary and redundant. You can get the all (or at least nearly all) of the features that Smartphone Integration offers through the Bluetooth connection via the combox controller.

I have an iPhone. However, I virtualy never listen to it as an iPod. Between my CD's, terrestrial radio, and satellite radio, I don't see the need to listen to Pandora or my iPod while I drive. Plus, do I really need to see album art while I drive? I don't see the appeal. Maybe I just haven't gotten with the program yet (kind of like how I am not on facebook).
You can see album art by plugging a USB stick with music on it into the USB port (or your iPhone into the USB port) -- assuming album art is part of the metadata for the song. This is true for any BMW with combox. BMW apps is entirely separate from the album art capability.

And yes, you DO need to see album art. It is very cool in the car. I keep a USB stick that can hold 8 GBs of data in my car (always plugged into the USB port in my center console. Its great to see album art on all the songs. Here is what it looks like on my BMW:

And without split screen engaged:

Now who wouldn't want that -- whether via an iPhone or USB stick?

Last edited by caesardog; 05-10-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #38
guitarpath
Private
Rep

Funny, but between looking at album art, reading emails and texts, and watching a Simpsons episode on the screen, does anyone watch the road when they drive anymore?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #39
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Funny, but between looking at album art, reading emails and texts, and watching a Simpsons episode on the screen, does anyone watch the road when they drive anymore?
The car reads the emails/texts to you! No need to takes eyes off the road.

And I think the video only works when the car is stopped -- not sure about the iPod out. But I know a DVD will only work when the car is in park.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #40
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesardog View Post

And without split screen engaged:

How did you navigate to that display? Can't reproduce it on mine. Confused and frustrated!
      05-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #41
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesardog View Post
Are you sure about that? According to this, version 1.0 of MAP has been adopted by Bluetooth SIG.

https://www.bluetooth.org/Technical/...ns/adopted.htm

If you click on the MAP .pdf document, it says this:

"V10r00 2009-06-04 Adopted by the Bluetooth SIG Board of Directors"

So it was adopted in June 2009.
Thanks for digging that up, I had missed that. I'd found other information on wikipedia that said MAP as not yet supported/complete. I know, don't trust wikipedia, but it's usually right, especially on technical matters!

So, no real explanation as to why MAP is not a widely adopted protocol on phones....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #42
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
How did you navigate to that display? Can't reproduce it on mine. Confused and frustrated!
I have a March 2011 build 328xi. I believe the iDrive software changed with the March builds - so the screens are slightly different.

I actually like the earlier software, where in the split screen example I showed, you would see a small version of the album art on the left side (main part of the screen) and then the normal size album art in the split screen portion under entertainment details.

Now, the small album art is not displayed no matter what. When was your car built? Also, do you see small album art?

Last edited by caesardog; 05-11-2011 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #43
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Mine was built end of January. I've never seen album art on the left. Only small one two the right in the split screen. If the main screen is in a playlist (vice Nav, etc) it stays a playlist. No album art. Older software, eh?
      05-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #44
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Mine was built end of January. I've never seen album art on the left. Only small one two the right in the split screen. If the main screen is in a playlist (vice Nav, etc) it stays a playlist. No album art. Older software, eh?
So you don't ever see this (this isn't my car, but saw this posted elsewhere)?:

If you see album art in the split screen, you should also see it on the main/full screen when you turn off split screen and navigate to your playlist and then select the song itself.
Appreciate 0