BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #23
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport- F30 M Sport

Is a very nice sound, if you can order yet do it.
      05-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #24
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
I thought it was a Dirac system? How do you know its an L7?
No it's not....not in the US spec X3. I'm 100% sure it is L7...per a few people on the boards I'm talking to who have taken delivery already...totally not Dirac...not offered in the US spec.

I was really bummed when I heard that it wa the L7 system b/c the Dirac is a much better system. All the L7 system is, is "upgraded speakers" (which are really not that much better) and a bigger amp and a slightly different head unti. The BIG thing you don't get in the L7 setup is a sound processor...that is what makes the Dirac so much better....goes like this

Dirac: head unit--sound processor--amp--speakers
L7: head unit--amp--speakers.

Any system without a sound processor is just making things things lounder that all...not clearer.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #25
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETT E92-FX25 35i View Post
Is a very nice sound, if you can order yet do it.
I'll agree that the premium hifi does sound nice, but all I'm saying is that if you spend a coupld hundred bucks more than BMW charges you, you'll get speakers that are much better than the no-name brands that BMW uses, you get to keep your same head unit and it's integration into the iDrive, and you get a real sound b/c you can add a sound processor to the existing 200W amp and get a nicer sound than with the 600W amp. If need be you can also add a larger amp and it will be amazing.

And this upgrade is easy....1/2 a day's work for an insured shop
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #26
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
No it's not....not in the US spec X3. I'm 100% sure it is L7...per a few people on the boards I'm talking to who have taken delivery already...totally not Dirac...not offered in the US spec.

I was really bummed when I heard that it wa the L7 system b/c the Dirac is a much better system. All the L7 system is, is "upgraded speakers" (which are really not that much better) and a bigger amp and a slightly different head unti. The BIG thing you don't get in the L7 setup is a sound processor...that is what makes the Dirac so much better....goes like this

Dirac: head unit--sound processor--amp--speakers
L7: head unit--amp--speakers.

Any system without a sound processor is just making things things lounder that all...not clearer.

Please provide link for Dirac equipment ie head unit amp speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #27
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Please provide link for Dirac equipment ie head unit amp speakers
what do you mean? What kind of link are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #28
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what do you mean? What kind of link are you looking for?
I'm looking for a hyperlink to dirac equipment that gives specs of the dirac equipment that you are referring to.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #29
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm looking for a hyperlink to dirac equipment that gives specs of the dirac equipment that you are referring to.
oh ok gotcha...I'll have to dig up on BMWs site...BMW main site has links to it I'm sure..

And for the record what I'm referring to with the setup of HU--SP--AMP--Speakers.. is how you take a stock 12 speaker system to an upgrade...not sure if the dirac is setup the same way but it has to be close...only difference could be if they use an amp that has sound processing built in.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh ok gotcha...I'll have to dig up on BMWs site...BMW main site has links to it I'm sure..

And for the record what I'm referring to with the setup of HU--SP--AMP--Speakers.. is how you take a stock 12 speaker system to an upgrade...not sure if the dirac is setup the same way but it has to be close...only difference could be if they use an amp that has sound processing built in.
I think I found what I was looking for. I know what you are talking about as far as upgrading, although I don't know if a lot the people understand the difference between the different technologies. Basically the premium sound system is worth the $875. Is Logic 7 a marketing tool, yes, but the upgrade in speakers and amp is worth it. With a little tweaking it gets better. Can one do better with after market, without a doubt.

You might google Rainbow speakers. I've read a lot of good things about them. Perhaps better than BSW. Also take the time and money to change your RCA plugs to Eichmann plugs.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #31
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think I found what I was looking for. I know what you are talking about as far as upgrading, although I don't know if a lot the people understand the difference between the different technologies. Basically the premium sound system is worth the $875. Is Logic 7 a marketing tool, yes, but the upgrade in speakers and amp is worth it. With a little tweaking it gets better. Can one do better with after market, without a doubt.

You might google Rainbow speakers. I've read a lot of good things about them. Perhaps better than BSW. Also take the time and money to change your RCA plugs to Eichmann plugs.
Ok sorry I didn't find the link in time for you...can you PM me and sent it, or just post here? I do agree with you I'll just say that...not looking to be contentious so please don't take it that way. I think for 19 out of 20 people the 875 upgrade is absolutely worth it and agree that a few tweaks can do a whole lot. I just got so bummed when I learned it wasn't dirac b/c that would have been awesome. I guess on this system you can add a sound processor for 250 bucks and get close...not a bad idea. I think that what most people want (including me) is a factory upgrade that makes the 50K car rounded out...and yea the 875 will do that no doubt and I'm not flaming it, it's just that I've been close over the years to a lot of folks who have done serious work with audio, and I've seen what a few extra bucks can get you over factory and I 've always had a hard time paying for factory upgrades. One of my buddies won a national competition in a 90's M5 that had a 100K sound system in it (no joke...including labor) and a guy I worked with owned (and sold) a business where he was putting custom systems in cars costing several hundred K...including a 500K ferrari. And it's crazy...it really doesn't take a lot of money, it just takes faith that someone can put your baby back together ...that is what puts most peopel off I think. I've seen 300K cars with no interior and it's shocking until you see them put back together!

Yea I've heard of Rainbow too...never actually heard them but I've read good things too...need to ask my buddy what he thinks since he's see it all...will let everyone know if anyone is interested. And yea I completely agree on the Eichmann plugs....the thing is though that I need to limit myself b/c I don't want a science project...the main reason why I'm thinking about BSW is that they use the same factory connectors and they just plug right in...sooooo easy. We'll see though...if I can get my buddy to do it for me I may reach for something else.

I'm still pissed at bmw though for not extending dirac to us...I guess we can't have everything!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #32
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the thing is though that I need to limit myself b/c I don't want a science project...
I'm still pissed at bmw though for not extending dirac to us...I guess we can't have everything!
Audio is not a science project, it's an addiction! If you know you could spend just a little more time and money and not do it, you will be haunted forever.

I agree it would be so easy to put in Dirac, but they use it like Logic 7. We'll give you this DSP and upgrade your equipment. Get "Dirac" and we will put in even better hardware. With Logic 7 system they could easily add Dirac.

BTW have you looked at a Butler amp?

Ok, now you've got me kicking myself for not doing an after market. You probably can tell I've looked into it. But after living though the home audio my wife would probably divorce me!

Last edited by Radioactive; 05-19-2011 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #33
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Audio is not a science project, it's an addiction! If you know you could spend just a little more time and money and not do it, you will be haunted forever.

I agree it would be so easy to put in Dirac, but they use it like Logic 7. We'll give you this DSP and upgrade your equipment. Get "Dirac" and we will put in even better hardware. With Logic 7 system they could easily add Dirac.
LMAO on the addiction comment...that's so true! I'll get to the audio in time...probably a few months.may upgrade over the winter...we'll see. I want to see what the BSW upgrade looks like when they come out with it for the F25. I have a contact there and he's gonna call me as soon as it gets released. We'll see....I was really tortured on whether or not to spend the 875 one time and just be done with it, part of me didn't want to go through with anything on this X3, but like you said...I was haunted and decided otherwise...is what it is now!!!

Question for you though...on the Dirac thing, do you have any idea why the heck BMW decided not to extend it to US buyers? I mean when i was doing my research, it seems like so many other countries have a VERY similar setup as we do...16 speakers, 600W amp etc, but those countries have Dirac added! I mean for real...the dirac piece would just snap in to this system so easily and honestly if they made it 1200 instead of 875 and pitched it properly in their marketing, I think more people would buy it...or just leave the 875 option in, but add another for a few bucks more and add dirac. It just doesn't make sense to me that they are droppping it in other countries vehicles and not the US ones. When I originally got into it, I was worried b/c I thought I got confused on all the reading I did and I mis-read the US setup...but once people started to get their cars and reported L7 I was partly relileved and partly pissed that BMWs marketing materials suck so bad. And then pissed again that they aren't offering it.

Oh well....I wish I never had any friends who did this stuff so seriously b/c I would have just paid the 875 and been happy and not known any different!!
Appreciate 0