BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-21-2015, 02:24 AM   #1
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i M Sport

Front Suspension Bottoms Out on the rebound

I understand that the X3 MSport is not an off-road centric SUV, but I find it disappointing when mine goes over a speed bump at a slightly higher speed (I'd say around 10 MPH, and depending on the height of the speed bump), that it bottoms out on the suspension rebound stage. In other words it makes a loud noise as the springs extends from being compressed by the bump. I've owned and driven many cars before (20+) and I never had one that extends pass this threshold so easily. Most normally bottoms out on the compression stage when you hit a big pot hole. Does anyone else had this experience? Is it because I have the suspension setting to "Comfort?" I've yet to try going through the same bump and speed with my setting in Sport or Sport+. Even then, I still find it disappointing that it does this. Is it possible that I have a faulty shock absorbers? I have about 350 miles on it so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Interesting. Mine bounces IMHO too much over speed bumps in comfort setting. I thought it was just me....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAG View Post
I understand that the X3 MSport is not an off-road centric SUV, but I find it disappointing when mine goes over a speed bump at a slightly higher speed (I'd say around 10 MPH, and depending on the height of the speed bump), that it bottoms out on the suspension rebound stage. In other words it makes a loud noise as the springs extends from being compressed by the bump. I've owned and driven many cars before (20+) and I never had one that extends pass this threshold so easily. Most normally bottoms out on the compression stage when you hit a big pot hole. Does anyone else had this experience? Is it because I have the suspension setting to "Comfort?" I've yet to try going through the same bump and speed with my setting in Sport or Sport+. Even then, I still find it disappointing that it does this. Is it possible that I have a faulty shock absorbers? I have about 350 miles on it so far.
Everyday I go through couple large speed bumps that would scratch under side of sedans at 10mph, but do not feel bottom out at all on my X3, either compressing or rebounding.

But I do feel the shocks are set to have low damping though, the bumps are taken in a very supple way but the springs on X3 are not soft.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

That could be the steering rack or EPS (electronic power steering) unit making the noise and not the suspension. It has been a topic of discussion on this forum in the past. Some owners have reported success with having the dealer replace theirs under warranty while others have not. I had mine replaced a year or two ago and the noise has returned. During my last visit to the dealer I brought it up again but they--as usual--were not able to reproduce. I think the noise has gotten worse on mine so I plan to try again before my warranty is up.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i M Sport

It's difficult to imagine that the sound can come from somewhere else but the suspension system. I tried the setting on the sport mode yesterday on the way home and it seems that the suspension didn't have the tendency to bottom out. I wonder if the damper setting can be changed, perhaps in between the comfort and sport might be a better setting. I don't know enough about the dynamic handling system to know if it's possible, so I'm just thinking out loud.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 04:14 AM   #6
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D, F25 X3 30D

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
I know what noise you are talking out. And I don't think its bottoming out. I think its just the fact that the X3 has a reasonably stiff suspension, coupled with the runflats that causes the noise.

I think I used to get a similar noise sometimes on my E90, which went away when I switched out the runflats.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I used to get this on our 5GT, in comfort mode it would happen a fair bit, in sport mode not at all.

The car just became more wallowy in comfort mode while not actually being that much more comfortable, and in fact when going through town with speed bumps and bad pot holes etc. noticeable worse.
We discussed this on the 5 and 7 series forum quite a bit as in the end we decided leaving the car in sport mode was simply better all round.

I have said it before, I am not a massive fan of BMWs adaptive dampers, when you try the adaptive dampers in say an RS4 you realise how good they should be.
Not saying Audi have it right, because on some models it is worse, but the RS4 is simply a car where they have nailed it.

I still believe a well set up damper, spring and wheel/tyre combo will give 99% of people the best results.

After trying a few set ups I found the standard SE suspension on 19" wheels with non run flats to work almost perfectly as an all rounder. A slightly stiffer spring could be even better, but as an all round package that is extremely comfortable, but handles well when pressing on but is also very relaxing sat on the motorway, that combo seems to get a good 8/10 in all areas.
Appreciate 0