BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Closed Thread

02-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Msport

New X3....cannot see the what the fuss is about in the UK

Hi All,

Whilst I know its all about opinions/needs I for one cannot understand the clamour/need for the new X3 in the UK....and the 6 month wait!
Why not order a new 5 series estate (could be on your drive in 12 weeks) which is better in every way than the new X3 apart from those 10 days of the year when we 'might' get snow and need 4wd!

My wife drives the 'old' X3 (3.0d) 08 plate and it is OK... but apart from the high driving position and the 'occasional' need for 4WD she would be far better off with a 3 series estate for the kids and dog but she 'loves' her truck!

I have ordered a new 520d touring (due in April) to replace my 07 Audi A6 avant. I looked and drove the new X3 out of curiosity as they are similar price points and although it is better than the old X3 (not hard) i cannot see why anyone would spend £30-40K on this car when you could get a new 5.

So apart from the high driving postion and the 4wd (for 10 days of year) what floats peoples boat about the new X3
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I do not agree with your opinion, but since you don't see a lot to like on the X3 your post comes across as unnecessary, specially on the X3 forum...
      02-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

+ 1

to each his own.

I've had a z4, am on an e60 now, was contemplating the new F10 but decided to get the F25 instead. as you've said, the high driving position was a big plus for me.. and i dislike the looks of estates... so choice was made..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drnelly View Post
I do not agree with your opinion, but since you don't see a lot to like on the X3 your post comes across as unnecessary, specially on the X3 forum...
Agree...in the US you have no 5 Touring so no option...but in the UK?

I like the X3 it is not a bad car but my question remains in the UK...why choose it over a 5 touring?

I have been reading the X3 board as:
A) my wife drives an 08
B) checking updates regarding 6nr etc and alot of sim technology between F10/11 and F25.

Please guys I am not knocking the X3..just interested to find out reasons for choosing (in the UK)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Dog and bulky package friendly cargo space. Also, though I'm not in the UK, I'm in a place where it snows infrequently over the Winter, ices a bit more often. Since it's relatively infrequent road treatment and clearly is not top notch (nor should it be). While most in the area get to stay home on those bad days I'm still required to get to and from work. For that reason having one AWD is a big benefit for us. That this one drives more in the direction of a 3 sedan than a off-road Jeep makes it a nice daily vehicle for me, too. We have long commutes and enjoy sporty driving, so it's better for me than something like a 4Runner.

and +1 on Drnelly
      02-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Dog and bulky package friendly cargo space. Also, though I'm not in the UK, I'm in a place where it snows infrequently over the Winter, ices a bit more often. Since it's relatively infrequent road treatment and clearly is not top notch (nor should it be). While most in the area get to stay home on those bad days I'm still required to get to and from work. For that reason having one AWD is a big benefit for us. That this one drives more in the direction of a 3 sedan than a off-road Jeep makes it a nice daily vehicle for me, too. We have long commutes and enjoy sporty driving, so it's better for me than something like a 4Runner.

and +1 on Drnelly
Ok....so IF you could buy 5 series Xdrive touring for similar money would you?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

My reason for having the X3 instead of a 5 series is that:

1. it's a SUV (ok, SAV). I like the high driving position and the looks. After +10 years of estates I wanted to go SUV class.

2. in Holland the 5 series is on the 21st position of cars sold and the X3 isn't even in the top 100. And with current lead times (+8 months here), it will never get into the top 100 :-).
I like to drive a car that you don't see often and distinguish myself. Hence the choice for my current company car being a full options V50 T5 (which is a rare automobile) instead of a V70 (which is the benchmark in it's class).

I love the new 5 series and think it's a beauty but 5 series & A6 are the standard management cars in certain industry sectors.

So it's an emotional choice, and joy wanted me to have it!
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Not sure. I favor the 3; to me the 5 series are not necessarily better -- of course, at least here, they tend to be equipped better and such, but I'm not sure I like the size and handling as well as the 3s.

I had initially intended to purchase a 335xi touring on my way back from Switzerland. Two things happened. I ran into a new X3 and was surprised by it. I very much disliked the old ones, but this one was to me much nicer outside and inside. The driver position in the X3 was more comfortable than the 3 touring (and I'm a 3 sedan lover). Something different in the roofline of the touring that made me feel cramped. Since the cockpit of the X3 felt so much more like a 3 sedan, I was intrigued. Also, we have a close friend with a new baby. The seat was darn near impossible to fit in the back of the 3 sedan and touring and devastated the front leg room as well. Works nicely in the X3. That didn't eliminate the 3 touring, but was a mark in the negative column.

I did not compare the 5 touring at that stage, so perhaps I would have gone that direction. I don't think, though, that either the X3 or the 5 touring would have been a clear choice over the other. I think that one would come down to a lot of fuzzy personal preference vice value or capability differences. How does one consider the different impacts of a higher seating position? More positive for visibility or negative for handling? The "SUV" label in today's world? Height of the cargo area? I do like touring models and wish they were more popular here in the States -- especially that 335xi.

I did check out X5s. A big difference for me was the far greater ease of entering the X3 over the X5. Height and also configuration of the rear doors/seats. Some might think that's the dumbest criteria in the world, but for me that was something.

Then the second shoe fell when I found I couldn't even get a 335xi touring for the States. Sealed the deal. I've been very please with the X3 over these first 1200 miles from the drive, to the dog carrying capability, to the backseats, to the interior finishes, to the gadgetry.
      02-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Jon View Post
Hi All,

Whilst I know its all about opinions/needs I for one cannot understand the clamour/need for the new X3 in the UK....and the 6 month wait!
Why not order a new 5 series estate (could be on your drive in 12 weeks) which is better in every way than the new X3 apart from those 10 days of the year when we 'might' get snow and need 4wd!

My wife drives the 'old' X3 (3.0d) 08 plate and it is OK... but apart from the high driving position and the 'occasional' need for 4WD she would be far better off with a 3 series estate for the kids and dog but she 'loves' her truck!

I have ordered a new 520d touring (due in April) to replace my 07 Audi A6 avant. I looked and drove the new X3 out of curiosity as they are similar price points and although it is better than the old X3 (not hard) i cannot see why anyone would spend £30-40K on this car when you could get a new 5.

So apart from the high driving postion and the 4wd (for 10 days of year) what floats peoples boat about the new X3
Each to their own

My reason was I wanted a more flexible car than the 520d saloon (the boot opening and space is too limited) not keen on estates, never have, never will.

I have a F10 520d within my fleet and wouldnt swap it for the F25 X3

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Not sure. I favor the 3; to me the 5 series are not necessarily better -- of course, at least here, they tend to be equipped better and such, but I'm not sure I like the size and handling as well as the 3s.

I had initially intended to purchase a 335xi touring on my way back from Switzerland. Two things happened. I ran into a new X3 and was surprised by it. I very much disliked the old ones, but this one was to me much nicer outside and inside. The driver position in the X3 was more comfortable than the 3 touring (and I'm a 3 sedan lover). Something different in the roofline of the touring that made me feel cramped. Since the cockpit of the X3 felt so much more like a 3 sedan, I was intrigued. Also, we have a close friend with a new baby. The seat was darn near impossible to fit in the back of the 3 sedan and touring and devastated the front leg room as well. Works nicely in the X3. That didn't eliminate the 3 touring, but was a mark in the negative column.

I did not compare the 5 touring at that stage, so perhaps I would have gone that direction. I don't think, though, that either the X3 or the 5 touring would have been a clear choice over the other. I think that one would come down to a lot of fuzzy personal preference vice value or capability differences. How does one consider the different impacts of a higher seating position? More positive for visibility or negative for handling? The "SUV" label in today's world? Height of the cargo area? I do like touring models and wish they were more popular here in the States -- especially that 335xi.

I did check out X5s. A big difference for me was the far greater ease of entering the X3 over the X5. Height and also configuration of the rear doors/seats. Some might think that's the dumbest criteria in the world, but for me that was something.

Then the second shoe fell when I found I couldn't even get a 335xi touring for the States. Sealed the deal. I've been very please with the X3 over these first 1200 miles from the drive, to the dog carrying capability, to the backseats, to the interior finishes, to the gadgetry.
A reasoned arguement no doubt....seems that like many things in life the heart rules the head alot of the time...

I still think that without the ability to benchmark a 5 Touring against the X3 leaves you guys in the states at a big disadvantage...having said the in the UK BMW in ther infinate wisdom choose not to offer us an Xdrive 5 series.

A diesel Xdrive 5 touring....Now that would be the 'ultimate driving machine' for me!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Benz-n-Bimmers
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i Vermillion Red

We just traded in our '09 e91 (3 wagon) for the new X3.
Now, I love wagons and here in the US we do not get the new 5 wagon.
If we did, I would have defintely looked at it.
However, I guess the 5 wagon would be considerably more than the new X3--probably $10k plus similarly equipped.
We looked at the MB E-wagon and my wife just never cared for it.
I actually liked the E-wagon a lot and also would have liked the 5 wagon if they had it here in the US.
The X3 appealed to us because of it's softer ride than our e91, larger rear leg room and cargo space, plus the higher ride is easier for loading and unloading children and their stuff.
The new X3 has much better tech goodies versus the current 3 series and I will say that it is a overall better vehicle versus the e91.
Now comparing the X3 to the 5 wagon is a bit tougher for me.
If they were the same price with the same equipment, my garage would have the 5 wagon in it; however, at a significant premium it becomes a harder decision.
Here in the US wagons have never sold well and I would say you will find very few Americans who would choose the wagon over the SUV.
Now would I wait 6-9 months to get and new X3, no way now how.
I'm a little aggravated to have to wait 3 weeks, but that's because I'm an American "cowboy" and want everything now

2011 C63 ///AMG / BLK on BLK / P31 / LSD / CF Trim / Keyless Go / Rear Camera / All the other stuff too!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Not sure about UK pricing. But in the US a fully loaded X3 35i is about the same price as a fully loaded 335xi but with a ton more space. A 535xi sedan would be $10k more, same as a X5 35i. Can't compare them.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Each to their own

My reason was I wanted a more flexible car than the 520d saloon (the boot opening and space is too limited) not keen on estates, never have, never will.

I have a F10 520d within my fleet and wouldnt swap it for the F25 X3
Ok....you don't like estates as you say each to their own but you cannot really compare an F10 to an F25!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Not sure about UK pricing. But in the US a fully loaded X3 35i is about the same price as a fully loaded 335xi but with a ton more space. A 535xi sedan would be $10k more, same as a X5 35i. Can't compare them.
BMW Uk X3 2.0d se basic list price £31135.00
BMW UK 520d touring se basic list price £31815.00

Can compare in the UK.....which is the crux of my question.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #15
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drnelly View Post
Agree...in the US you have no 5 Touring so no option...but in the UK?

I like the X3 it is not a bad car but my question remains in the UK...why choose it over a 5 touring?

I have been reading the X3 board as:
A) my wife drives an 08
B) checking updates regarding 6nr etc and alot of sim technology between F10/11 and F25.

Please guys I am not knocking the X3..just interested to find out reasons for choosing (in the UK)
I used to have a 5 series wagon. In 2010 alone, in its last year on our shores, it made it to only 854 driveways, being the most expensive manufacturer produced wagon available in 2009-10.

I loved the car, I miss it a lot, and I really like the way the new F10 drives. But the design of the F10, admittedly, was geared towards more of a muscley but subtle sports car than it was a luxuriating, variable people mover. It looks too thick and sleek to be just a diamond embossed soccer hauler. Besides, BMW took advantage of the high price point and replaced the wagon with the Gran Turismo, which seems to me like an excuse for having gotten rid of the wagon only after it had been announced. That is hardly a practical vehicle.

If they'd let me, I'd probably want to spend that money again.

The X3 and the 5 wagon in Europe based on BMW.co.uk aren't all that similarly priced. The wagon is wildly expensive for what it is meant to do. Surprise surprise.

Hope you make the right choice. I love my new X3 35i.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #16
Benz-n-Bimmers
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i Vermillion Red

Quote:
BMW Uk X3 2.0d se basic list price £31135.00
BMW UK 520d touring se basic list price £31815.00

Can compare in the UK.....which is the crux of my question.
okay, if this is true, what happens when you option them out similarly?
My guess is the 5 wagon gets expensive fast.
If they are the same price give or take a grand or two, I'd go 5 wagon all day long, especially since it is made in Germany vs Billy Bob country

2011 C63 ///AMG / BLK on BLK / P31 / LSD / CF Trim / Keyless Go / Rear Camera / All the other stuff too!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 Auto Mineral Silver

I can see your point, my first BMW was a '99 530D touring, auto, biege leather. I loved it. Mr G Brown taxed me out of it though!

The modern UK road landscape is now littered with speed bumps however and a 5-series owner who has to drive over the same hideous set in our businees park says the 5 is awful over them. My 1-series is only slightly better as its narrower and can fit between them on the lower sections but still have to be taken slowly.

So I ordered an Auto X3 for the high up driving style and ground clearance. I went over several types of speed bumps in my test drive BTW and the X3 hopped over them with no trouble.

Don't expect to use the 4x4 much at all but if we get a similar amount of snow to this year I'll get some winter tyres and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #18
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz-n-Bimmers View Post
okay, if this is true, what happens when you option them out similarly?
My guess is the 5 wagon gets expensive fast.
If they are the same price give or take a grand or two, I'd go 5 wagon all day long, especially since it is made in Germany vs Billy Bob country
They are very similar both come with leather as standard and basic I drive....a same spec 5 is well within a grand or two of an X3.....there you go ....5 wagon all day told you so!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
335dxd
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbhuna View Post
I can see your point, my first BMW was a '99 530D touring, auto, biege leather. I loved it. Mr G Brown taxed me out of it though!

The modern UK road landscape is now littered with speed bumps however and a 5-series owner who has to drive over the same hideous set in our businees park says the 5 is awful over them. My 1-series is only slightly better as its narrower and can fit between them on the lower sections but still have to be taken slowly.

So I ordered an Auto X3 for the high up driving style and ground clearance. I went over several types of speed bumps in my test drive BTW and the X3 hopped over them with no trouble.

Don't expect to use the 4x4 much at all but if we get a similar amount of snow to this year I'll get some winter tyres and see how it goes.
The new 5 cannot be any worse than my current Audi A6 sline over bumps....now that is hideous!

I am sure this December when the snow comes I will be the one cursing my RWD 5 with fat tyres as you X3 boys carry on regardless!!!....then again some of you may still be waiting for it to arrive?

Last edited by 335dxd; 02-25-2011 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I quite like the look of the 5 series touring but much prefer the new X3. It's fresh and different and the 5 series touring is boring IMO.

I also needed the higher driving position for my back and it also makes things easier with getting the baby in and out, and the pram etc in the boot because of the height that things are at.

It's a valid argument to consider the touring I suppose. I won't need the four wheel drive much in the mild south east UK winters, but the 5 series touring was never even considered in my case. I'd sooner buy a new VW Passat estate if I was going to buy an estate.

I don't like the look of the A6 or A4 Avant either (sorry!)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

Its a matter of preference. Should not be posting here if X3 is not your cup of tea. Should really post in the F10 5 Series touring forum.

IMO, 5 do looks a bit nicer then X3 with better quality interior at more or less the same price.

But then X3 is a 4 x4 and it will cope with snow and have some off road ability( its a torture not to be able to drive anywhere for 10 days ), more practical , more child friendly, better visibilty(front), shorter( hence easier to park), and suspension/chasis should be stronger to cope to the abuse off road.

Its not really in the same class that one should compare really, I think most of us here will prefer X3 otherwise we wouldn't be in in this forum and wrote all these...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #22
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

We considered both as a repalcement for Mrs W's 125i as we needed something with a bit more practicality than the 1 series.
In the end we both felt that while the new 5 is a fantastic car, the X3 was a bit more exciting and for us at any rate something a bit different form a normal estate.

Add to that we have recently moved out into the sticks so the AWD is useful for those 10 days of the year.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread