BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-03-2015, 03:37 AM   #1
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i M Sport

Work around for power to accessories when car ignition is off

I have a dash cam which I bought for the car before my X3 and I was planning to install it to the X3 when I got it a few weeks ago until I found out that the accessory/lighter electrical plug power remains on even when the ignition is turned off. This is where the dash cam power is plugged in. So I'm afraid that the dash cam will eventually run the battery down after a while. I also don't need it to be recording while I'm not driving. I've owned many Japanese, American, and Korean cars, and this is the only car which maintains the power to the accessories/lighter on when the ignition is turned off.

So my question is, has anyone figured out a workaround to this? I'm sure this is also an issue with radar detectors where you want it on as you turn the car on and off when the car is off. Is this something that can be taken care of with re-coding the default settings? In the old days, I'd find a wire coming off the ignition switch which get power when the car ignition is set to "On" or "run" and tap the power for the device I'm trying to connect from there. How time has change...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 05:45 AM   #2
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Doesn't it only remain on for a few minutes?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAG View Post
..... this is the only car which maintains the power to the accessories/lighter on when the ignition is turned off.
I am sure you will find it switches off within 15 minutes of locking the car—mine takes 12mins. Best option is to hard wire it to the correct fuse box connection so the cam comes on automatically when you start the engine and off when you shut down. As accessing the fuse box area and finding the correct fuse can be a bit tricky, its worth getting expert fitting or your dealer to do it. Search the forums for comments from people who have done it.
      09-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Also, tap power button a second time, or lock the car from the outside (remote, or Comfort Access handle) to turn off all accessories.

On our X3, the accessories tend to cycle off after around 8 minutes (about the same time my dash cam goes into Park Mode)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

All accessories are off after approximately 12 to 15 minutes. This includes the supply to the cigarette lighter and the USB sockets.

I have a mobius dash cam running from the rear USB socket on my 63 plate F25 X3 xDrive30d M Sport and I have checked this many times. It is the same for all F Series vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

I just installed a dashcam in my X4 and can confirm that the cigarette lighter connections in front, in the rear and in the trunk do switch off after around 10 mins.....

Anybody knows a good fuse in the back to hardwire too? One that switches off of course......
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:59 AM   #7
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i M Sport

Thanks everyone for your input. Being a new owner of a BMW, I wasn't aware of this delayed power off feature. Even without confirming it myself, I'm sure my X3 is no different from every body else. Will be installing my dash cam shortly. I'll probably try to use the rear passenger cigarette lighter socket as the front is too valuable and will be an eye sore if used for the dash cam power. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 02:41 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAG View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. Being a new owner of a BMW, I wasn't aware of this delayed power off feature. Even without confirming it myself, I'm sure my X3 is no different from every body else. Will be installing my dash cam shortly. I'll probably try to use the rear passenger cigarette lighter socket as the front is too valuable and will be an eye sore if used for the dash cam power. Thanks again.
Yes. That is what I did. See....

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Peter_R, is there not one in the center console / armrest?

I don't have a power outlet back there, but I'd just be worried somebody would kick it off. I have a child that sits in the back so this wouldn't work for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Peter_R, is there not one in the center console / armrest?

I don't have a power outlet back there, but I'd just be worried somebody would kick it off. I have a child that sits in the back so this wouldn't work for me.
I agree. Not a good idea to children in the back of the car....they could kick it off.

Yes there is one in the centre console and of course you could use it.
Appreciate 0