BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #23
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0 Diesel

re anti reflection screen - will look at options on ebay - thanks.

re AUX - bit of a waste of time the present time IMO. Only the main system will play via AUX and once you go into GPS function you lose all control except jump tracks. You have to leave the windows sub system entirely - exit the GPS function completely to get back to the audio player. This takes a loooong time. Then the stock audio player is super dumb. ie all up a waste of time till this roadblock is fixed.

On this topic, I will have a look this weekend at a hack that will use a speaker to line out converter to tap the inbuilt GPS speakers to provide a line out from the windows environment and then take that audio to the AUX input of the stock head unit via two 220nf coupling capacitors. Then any audio player in the windows subsystem will play via AUX (as well as the stock player btw if you have the aux setup).
I am already running IGO primo - the primo inbuilt music player is running in the windows environment with the GPS and you can get to/from the player relatively quickly. The player is still pretty primitive but as posted above, once audio is available from within windows there are many other player options.

Update: I had thought that the inbuilt speakers would be mounted on the circuit board that I remember seeing under the unit and could thus easily pick off the speaker signals from the circuit board but not to be. Will have to disassemble the unit entirely so will leave this for later time like when I replace the CFL backlight with a high power LED backlight.

Last edited by x3oiler; 01-08-2012 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: updates
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
ih82lose
Registered
Rep
Drives: '05 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3oiler View Post
Yup AUX running but not really usable via the dynavin for reasons above. I am still using my iPod via dice for audio. Much more user friendly.

+1 on Happy New Year
I just installed the same unit this weekend. I also have the DICE unit installed for Ipod. Since the Dice uses the Aux input of the stock business radio, I connected the DVN-E83's audio output to the Aux input on the Dice. You can then chose between Ipod and Aux (DVN-E83) by selecting the input from the Dice.

I'm still interested in coupling the GPS audio into the main audio output so Primo can be used with MP3 capability.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih82lose View Post
I just installed the same unit this weekend. I also have the DICE unit installed for Ipod. Since the Dice uses the Aux input of the stock business radio, I connected the DVN-E83's audio output to the Aux input on the Dice. You can then chose between Ipod and Aux (DVN-E83) by selecting the input from the Dice.

I'm still interested in coupling the GPS audio into the main audio output so Primo can be used with MP3 capability.
In my x3 the dice sits on the CD changer interface not the aux. But no matter same effect. I have never had much success with the DICE interface and run it in dumb mode now. Audio is fine just the control - including swapping from ipod to aux function. The interface function seems to depend on the phases of the moon or some such arbitrary condition so using the dice aux not an option as far as I am concerned - I leave it at ipod and do not touch it. Anyway this is not a dice thread.

re GPS audio - will take some time and DVN disassembly to work it out. Only need to find the internal speaker connections and use a speaker to line converter that provides ground isolation.
      02-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #26
K-Ch1968
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Installation of an Aftermarket navigation on BMW X3 2007

I bought an aftermarket navigation system for my X3. It is a DYNAVIN model DVN-E83. It doesn’t have any manual or instruction. Anybody knows how to install?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
K-Ch1968
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoady02 View Post
I wanted more than the Garmin. Have one already and the screen is too small, especially when you are navigating in tight spaces or across busy intersections. Looked around and chose the Dynavin DVN-E83. It is a very good unit with a 7" screen and looks OEM. Fits in right where the storage tray was. Installation took a few hours but was relatively simple. Installed the microphone near where the factory one is and the Satnav receiver at the top of the windscreen. You will probably need to get an AUX connector with RCA leads to get all the audio features. It has the abilty to connect to a rear view camera and TV (both extras). Appears to be a well made unit and the price is around US$600+. Only downside is the documentation which is basic and does not include installation instructions. But really, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure what goes where. The unit can be found at http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e83.php and there is a useful You Tube Video here

Hope this helps.
Geoff
How can I wwatch the video that you poseted?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not sure where the video went - not mine - not showing in youtube search either.

Install not that hard.

Make sure that the car electrics are off - ie wait at least 15 minutes after ignition off.

Lever out the front air vent by using fingers at the top. It will pop out easily. The vent will be retained by the cable (unhook it - noting how it is installed) and the wiring to the centre switch. To get this wiring unclipped press the bottom retainer to partially remove the switch angling it down to get easy access to the cable. Gentle wiggle and it will come out. Then place the entire air vent somewhere.

Undo the two screws under the leading edge of the storage bin. Do not drop them! Lever the front of the bin up and remove.Remove the metal circlips that the mounting screws lock into from the old storage bin and fit the the same tabs on the DVN unit.

Disconnect the wiring loom from the DVN if it came installed (I cannot remember). This is hard but be gentle. You will need to feed this from the rear of the radio position up the storage bin area. In the US spec model this is really easy - it is much for difficult for right hand drive vehicles.

You need to remove the centre console fascia and the radio. Undo the top two screws and using a plastic panel tool lever the top edges of the console - it will unclip easily. Leave the wiring intact. Place it to one side.

Now you will see the two screws holding the head unit in place.

Undo them and slide out the head unit. Do NOT try to remove the antenna connection. Rotate the head unit to get access to the large block connector at the rear (left rear looking from the front).

Notice that the DVN comes with a similar looking block connector. What you are going to do is disconnect the block connector from the radio and connect the DVN version of the same connector and then the other end of the DVN connector has a block connector than mates with the connector you took off the radio. ie the DVN is now in SERIES with the wiring to the radio. Not yet though!

Feed the DVN cable (the plug end that you disconnected from the DVN head unit) from the rear of the radio area up to the storage bin area.

Remove the connector from the rear of the radio. It is held in place by a plastic CAM or lever. Do no just try to pull it off. The CAM lever clips into position and must be gently un clipped before it will rotate. As it rotates the connector is levered away from the radio. Join the appropriate DVN connector to the one you just removed using the CAM action to lever the two together. Now fit the DVN connector the the rear of the radio and again use the cam lever to lever the connector in to position. Make sure both block connectors are now secure and the levers clipped into the home position. Wrap the floating connector in some foam so it does not rattle. Stuff the cable clear of the rear of the radio. Make sure the cabling does not interfere with the vent control and cam you will see in the the dash area to the right of the radio. Replace the radio - fasten both screws. You can also replace the fascia (clip in and replace the two screws) - you are done here.

In the storage bin area you need to stuff in all the extra cable. I wrapped the cable in foam - again to avoid rattles.

Install the GPS antenna to the DVN. I did not run the antenna outside the storage bin but wrapped it in foam and stuffed it to the right of the storage bin away from metal but just under the dash surface. It seems to work fine there.

Now join the cable to the DVN head unit. Mount the DVN unit rear end first. You will see that the tabs will slot into the guides at the rear. Push back and you drop the front into position. Replace the mounting screws at the front. At this stage it should be operational if you want to test it.

Re-fit the wiring to the air vent. Note the trick to partially un clip the lower retaining clip on the switch and push the switch bottom section only out of the panel to get easier access to the wiring. Refit the cable. Replace the air vent.

If I missed something I will update.

Last edited by x3oiler; 02-19-2012 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Disassembly order was wrong and typos
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
Gadgets4u
Gadgets4u
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E93 335i 09, 2008

X3oiler have you tried the 8.3version of the wincepatch? Was interested to know whether the Chinese to English convert is now compatible with our Dynavin units?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #30
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgets4u View Post
X3oiler have you tried the 8.3version of the wincepatch? Was interested to know whether the Chinese to English convert is now compatible with our Dynavin units?
This was the version I tried. ie the 8.3 release is dated August 2011. I did not - repeat did not - try the conversion. The DVN-E83 was not listed as a compatible model and I was not going to risk bricking the unit. The developer said he would look at the E83 but I have not followed up. To be frank there is no benefit until you can get to the GPS module audio. I am back to stock winCE albeit running IGO PRIMO at the present time.
      03-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #31
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Added the anti-glare screen and went for a long drive in varying light and weather conditions. Definite improvement, especially when wearing sunnies. Cuts back on a lot of the reflections but unfortunately doesn't eliminate them altogether. Good and simple upgrade. As a test a tried a simple cover to stop direct sunlight from above. That worked very well so will look at something that looks right and try that.
+1 yes the anti reflection / anti glare screen is a must install.
      03-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #32
whatnxt
Rep
Drives: '08 X3 3.0si- Hers

A couple of questions:

1. Does the GPS function work OK? Issues?

2. Anyone have a backup camera attached? What camera did you use?

3. Would you purchase this unit again or purchase another unit?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #33
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep

1. Stock GPS is IGO v8 from memory. The maps I got with it were circa 2008 ie old. I am running IGO PRIMO and up to date maps - much better.
2. I have backup camera attached. Works well. Screen update is much faster and night vision is much better (yes Garmin for some reason was terrible showing night view) than the Garmin Nuvi 5000 I was using. Camera brand - well from eBay. But some advice. I would have liked more viewing area - bigger viewing angle. Mounted instead of number plate light, does not look down quite far enough for my liking. ie will not show tow ball if fitted.
3. If I could get a unit that integrates like this but with better screen visibility in daylight I would pay extra - but integration is what sold me and I would still do it as there is no other reasonable option.
      03-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #34
Gadgets4u
Gadgets4u
New Zealand
Rep

1)I've got Primo 2.0 running on it and its great.
2)The reverse camera I bought was a Chinese unit via a local NZ supplier but it has either the Sharp or Sony sensor in it, as the standard CMOS one's image quality is inferior.
3)Much the same as x3oiler, its the best around.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #35
whatnxt
Rep
Drives: '08 X3 3.0si- Hers

Thanks for the feedback, Gadgets4u and x3oiler!

Good to see that the reviews are positive.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #36
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not positive rather it works as a GPS and you do not have any other option if you want a factory look install ;-)

ie no rave reviews on my part
      04-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #37
G_M_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

I've just added a Garmin 1695 unit to my wife's X3. It started as a project for my E91, but becuase of the order I've got parts in, I worked on the X3 first.

Background.

I hate with a passion cables and wires trailing from the dash, so was interested in the BMW solution with comprises the Garmin 3760 (a 4.3" widescreen unit, which you can buy for @£200) a bracket depending on the car plus wiring to power it from the car and depending on the age of the car it will route the audio output from the sat nav unit through the car speakers. BMW will charge you £499 for all of the above, plus if you want Traffic, they offer a TMC unit which will cost another £60 odd quid plus an extra hour of fitting. Considering that I get all of the above features on my Navigon Navigation on the iPhone I was waiting with baited breath for the BMW iPhone Station - which at the 11th hour was refused type approval here in the UK.

So I was talking with my friendly parts guy at my local dealer and asked him about the fitting kit for the BMW Garmin kit, and he showed me it, cost £30+ vat. In looking at it, the bracket which holds the sat nav unit is for the Garmin Ball mount, so I went down to Halfords and found that the new Premium Series of Garmin Unit plus the 1695's mounts fitted this ball mount - important becuase the USB power supply needs to be permently attached to the mount and not requiring to be plugged in and out of the unit every time it is removed from the vehicle.

Trouble with the new range of the Garmin's is that their Live Traffic services are only available via an Android App and as an iPhone user this is useless. So whilst it is last years model, the 1695 has it's own built in SIMM for connected services and has recently been dropped in price from nearly £400 to £199 including Free Map Updates for Life and 1 Years Live Services.

So the kit for the X3 to replace the hinged cover in the dash was £30+vat (Part No. 6590 0 445 996) this includes the replacement cubby, the mount and cabling to power the unit from the radio (this bit I've not yet completed).

So I've fitted the dash cubby holder, and immediately a problem is identified on the BMW unit, there is a hole in the ball mount to feed a USB power cable through, however the USB connection on the 1695 unit is about 2cm below the ball - so a 16mm hole was drilled to allow the passing through of the USB cable (not seen when the mount is in place).

As I mentioned, I've not yet wired up the unit with the BMW supplied kit to the Radio as I don't have the instructions (yet). However When I had the dash apart to replace the cubby box (you remove the centre air vent unit - pulls out first - then there are 2 screws to detach the original cubbby box - plus when the air vents are out you can see the 2 screws which hold in the heater controls). Removing these it was possible to thread the Power Adaptor supplied with the Garmin unit, from behind the mount and out below the Heater Control Panel allow just enough cable to plug the power adaptor into the cigarette lighter.

This gives me an almost cableless / factory fit installation (it will be complete when I wire the USB feed from the radio - as supplied) but I have basically got a 5" vs. 4.3" sat nav unit, BMW mount, live traffic and google search features - neither of which where available on the original BMW Garmin solution for a total of £250 or half the price with extra features.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep

The Garmin means that at least you will be able to see the screen in bright sun light.
The reason I did not go this path was that the newer Garmin do not have video input capability for the reversing camera.
Good work though. The 5 inch Garmin I used to run was a nice size.
      05-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #39
BenedictYalung
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 3.0D

Quote:
I purchased a low reflection add on screen designed for an Apple Ipad. $5 ex Hong Kong on ebay. Does a great job of toning down the brightness and makes the screen more visible in sunny conditions. Still yet to get AUX going, will have a crack at it this weekend.
Hi Hoady02,

Did the Dynavin Navi is connected with your X3's steering wheel controls? Can you use your bluetooth phone using the voice button on the steering wheel? And lastly where did you purchase your Dynavin Navi. I'm trying to look for one on the net, and ebay, Can you recommend which online shop you bought it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #40
Chagrined
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3/X3/XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictYalung View Post
Did the Dynavin Navi is connected with your X3's steering wheel controls? Can you use your bluetooth phone using the voice button on the steering wheel?
I'd like to know this as well - we have the factory Nav unit and OEM Bluetooth, so curious if the functionality is retained with the steering wheel controls for phone and radio controls. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #41
Gadgets4u
Gadgets4u
New Zealand
Rep

No & no,
Dynavin for the X3 isn't connected to the i-Bus like their units on for the E38,39,46s. So no connection to the steering wheel controls for either music control or telephone, the volume buttons do adjust the volume as the music is ported to the ICE speakers.
IMO the Bluetooth on the Dynavin X3 unit is weak as it only comes through the units speakers and is not ported to the ICE speakers.

If I had the OEM Nav I wouldn't replace it with a Dynavin unit, it would be a big job and would necessitate replacing out the head unit to a Business CD unit as well as the additional wiring that would need to be done.

To find a supplier in the Phillipines you could email Renming from www.swautomotive.co.nz the NZ distributor and ask him to put you in touch with the factory or their distributor in Phillipines.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #42
X3emist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M/Sport

Here's where I ended up

With the long term plan of doing a hard install with the BMW replacement console that goes on the dash I compared, sliced and diced Garmin units. Ended up on the Garmin 2595lmt because of voice commands and all the other features. Picked up a brand new un-opend one on Craigslist for $135. I am going to keep my eye out for a 3590lmt but they are pretty pricey.

I actually bought a 2455 which is a 4.3" display but am going to sell it for $175 if anyone is interested. It is brand new, I opened box to have a look but everything is still sealed up. PM me if interested.
      06-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #43
mavieeni
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3oiler View Post
Not sure where the video went - not mine - not showing in youtube search either.

Install not that hard.

Make sure that the car electrics are off - ie wait at least 15 minutes after ignition off.

Lever out the front air vent by using fingers at the top. It will pop out easily. The vent will be retained by the cable (unhook it - noting how it is installed) and the wiring to the centre switch. To get this wiring unclipped press the bottom retainer to partially remove the switch angling it down to get easy access to the cable. Gentle wiggle and it will come out. Then place the entire air vent somewhere.

Undo the two screws under the leading edge of the storage bin. Do not drop them! Lever the front of the bin up and remove.Remove the metal circlips that the mounting screws lock into from the old storage bin and fit the the same tabs on the DVN unit.

Disconnect the wiring loom from the DVN if it came installed (I cannot remember). This is hard but be gentle. You will need to feed this from the rear of the radio position up the storage bin area. In the US spec model this is really easy - it is much for difficult for right hand drive vehicles.

You need to remove the centre console fascia and the radio. Undo the top two screws and using a plastic panel tool lever the top edges of the console - it will unclip easily. Leave the wiring intact. Place it to one side.

Now you will see the two screws holding the head unit in place.

Undo them and slide out the head unit. Do NOT try to remove the antenna connection. Rotate the head unit to get access to the large block connector at the rear (left rear looking from the front).

Notice that the DVN comes with a similar looking block connector. What you are going to do is disconnect the block connector from the radio and connect the DVN version of the same connector and then the other end of the DVN connector has a block connector than mates with the connector you took off the radio. ie the DVN is now in SERIES with the wiring to the radio. Not yet though!

Feed the DVN cable (the plug end that you disconnected from the DVN head unit) from the rear of the radio area up to the storage bin area.

Remove the connector from the rear of the radio. It is held in place by a plastic CAM or lever. Do no just try to pull it off. The CAM lever clips into position and must be gently un clipped before it will rotate. As it rotates the connector is levered away from the radio. Join the appropriate DVN connector to the one you just removed using the CAM action to lever the two together. Now fit the DVN connector the the rear of the radio and again use the cam lever to lever the connector in to position. Make sure both block connectors are now secure and the levers clipped into the home position. Wrap the floating connector in some foam so it does not rattle. Stuff the cable clear of the rear of the radio. Make sure the cabling does not interfere with the vent control and cam you will see in the the dash area to the right of the radio. Replace the radio - fasten both screws. You can also replace the fascia (clip in and replace the two screws) - you are done here.

In the storage bin area you need to stuff in all the extra cable. I wrapped the cable in foam - again to avoid rattles.

Install the GPS antenna to the DVN. I did not run the antenna outside the storage bin but wrapped it in foam and stuffed it to the right of the storage bin away from metal but just under the dash surface. It seems to work fine there.

Now join the cable to the DVN head unit. Mount the DVN unit rear end first. You will see that the tabs will slot into the guides at the rear. Push back and you drop the front into position. Replace the mounting screws at the front. At this stage it should be operational if you want to test it.

Re-fit the wiring to the air vent. Note the trick to partially un clip the lower retaining clip on the switch and push the switch bottom section only out of the panel to get easier access to the wiring. Refit the cable. Replace the air vent.

If I missed something I will update.
Great post thanks! I'll install it this weekend and your post will be very useful. Two questions, no issues with power then? The unit will draw from the radio circuit I guess... And as far as sound, Dynavin guaranteed the plug and play capability as far as ou on't have premium sound or nav installed previously, is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #44
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep

With respect to power, yes the DVN-E83 will pickup up power from the harness of the standard head unit.
As for audio. If you already have AUX input installed in theory the DVN will connect to that. But I do not believe it will work. The DVN audio outputs do not seem to be capacitively coupled and will load the 330k ohm sensing resistor that activates the AUX function in the head unit. Ie you might lose AUX function entirely. If this happens it is fixable by adding capacitors to the DVN outputs in series but this is a pain and involves soldering. If you have this problem simpler to not use the DVN media player ie cut the respective wires Maybe my experinence was unique Be interesting to see how you go. Btw gps audio comes from the DVN internal speakers. Also note that the DVN media player is pretty primitive and is not controllable once you enter the gps system. There are others posts in this thread on this topic.