BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
jmxIII
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 M Sport

Passenger Restraint System Malfunction

Hi guys happy holidays! Need help pls.! I have a 2011 35i x3 M Sport with 52k km so far. Two days ago I got an error code Passenger Restraint System Malfunction from my idrive. It came on when I started the engine after it was parked outside the whole cold (+2 C temperature) day with no passenger.

Has anybody had this problem before in our community? I searched that this is prevalent on the e60's and other models but not with F25's, at least with all the forums I went to exhaustively.

I tried to trickle charge the battery for 24 hours as other BMW model owners said would sometimes correct itself, but mine didn't.

Not an easy diy fix they say and expensive with the dealer.

Appreciate any experience, ideas and contribution on how to fix it somehow without going to the dealer. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
vtsng
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pre LCI E90 325i SGM

Did you ever find a solution to this? Mine is acting up with the exact same problem at 56k km.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Chan168
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

I also just go the "Passenger Restraint System" error on my car. Any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Hit my ex's '09 335 as well. It's a resistor/sensor in the seat that needs replacing. There's a jump bandaid that can be done (details escape me right now) that lets you trick the system. Most Indy shops don't want to mess with this due to liability it seems. Expensive too.
      02-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

That happened to my X3 twice. The first instance was after my truck was hit by a Honda Civic that turned into my drivers side rear tire. It flashed on and went away after a restart.
The second time it happened was when a passenger pissed her pants in my front passenger seat. The warning stated for a few hr and went away on it own and I’ve yet to see it return.
You should buy the ENET cable online and download the dealership diagnostics software from the internet since almost all the softwares are leaked and free to download.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
voipwizard
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3

Hi guys I just finished installing a Sensor Bypass on my F25 2012 X3. It was a little involved and you definitely need to reset the computer when you finish. Took some pictures and I wonder if I should be doing a pictorial.
The dealership wanted $1200 at least to fix it.
Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
oaklandish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Someone in my Family left the sunroof open and A huge rainstorm roared in. Everything was soaked. I cleaned it all up and started seeing this error code as well. I spent all day drying it with a hairdryer, heated seats, fans and rags and eventually the error code went away. I feel very lucky. Now hopefully the smell will not linger.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
oaklandish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Now the seatbelt sensor in passenger seat is chiming when no one sits there. It only stops if seat belt is fastened, even with no one sitting there. Any experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 07:47 AM   #9
CooperJet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Passenger side restraint malfunction

My 2020 BMW X3M with 4000 miles on it is telling me this every time I get in the car I'm going to have to take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:24 PM   #10
Davidstern32
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3m competition

2021 x3m competition same problem every time a passenger is in the seat sometimes when you open and close the door it goes on and off
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:46 PM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidstern32 View Post
2021 x3m competition same problem every time a passenger is in the seat sometimes when you open and close the door it goes on and off
Welcome to the forum...
Just so you know, this forum is for the previous generation X3 than you inquired about.
Secondly, why don't you take it to the dealer for diagnoses since it's still under warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:48 PM   #12
Davidstern32
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:
Welcome to the forum...
Just so you know, this forum is for the previous generation X3 than you inquired about.
Secondly, why don't you take it to the dealer for diagnoses since it's still under warranty
Quote:
Quote:
Welcome to the forum...
I went to the dealer they said no lights are on the dash and that I should try and recreate the problem just like any dealer and I hate having to give my car in a second time for service for some shitty loaner I don't pay a lease payment to have lights on my dash
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #13
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I went to the dealer they said no lights are on the dash and that I should try and recreate the problem just like any dealer and I hate having to give my car in a second time for service for some shitty loaner I don't pay a lease payment to have lights on my dash
So you're saying the light did not come on when you took it to the dealer, yet you say it happens every time a passenger is in the seat

You don't want to leave it with the dealer for them to reproduce the problem because you don't want a shitty loaner.
In that case, you'll just need to live with it.

Most people in this forum are well out of warranty therefore try to fix a problem themselves.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #14
Davidstern32
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you're saying the light did not come on when you took it to the dealer, yet you say it happens every time a passenger is in the seat

You don't want to leave it with the dealer for them to reproduce the problem because you don't want a shitty loaner.
In that case, you'll just need to live with it.

Most people in this forum are well out of warranty therefore try to fix a problem themselves.
Ok I'm sorry I'm wasn't more clear the problem DOESNT come on every single time. It comes on randomly on and off and after they gave me back the car it didn't go off for 2 days. So explain to me how I'm supposed to be paying a 1000 dollar lease to drive some 300 dollar loaner let them keep the cars for a month right I mean at least let someone at the dealer drive it if I'm paying for it am I right
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #15
Marsplay
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Mine came on too couple of weeks ago but disappeared even before I browse for solutions
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 09:07 AM   #16
Julz3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Hi, Question for voipwizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by voipwizard View Post
Hi guys I just finished installing a Sensor Bypass on my F25 2012 X3. It was a little involved and you definitely need to reset the computer when you finish. Took some pictures and I wonder if I should be doing a pictorial.
The dealership wanted $1200 at least to fix it.
Good Luck
Hi, can you tell me where you got your sensor bypass and the part name/number? I’m having the same issue with our F25 2012 X3. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Blau365.50