BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Lead-times around the world

My X3 20D is about to be ordered at the dealer (lease company is a bit slow with the paperwork) and just out of curiosity I called the dealer to ask for the current lead-time.

He told me that the most recent order they took for a 20D will go on production in week 37. After production they need 5-6 weeks for transportation to the dealer (I live in Holland) and getting it ready for delivery. So weīre looking at week 42-43 which is half October! (Thatīs about time to put the winter wheels under the car so I wonīt be enjoying the 19" wheels until after next winter )

I am in the lucky position that I started the selection of my next car 10 months before my lease contract is finished, so I donīt really care, but I can imagine that BMW is gonna lose some business with bizarre lead-times like that!

How are the lead-times elsewhere? Is this also a problem in other countries?
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)

Last edited by thefreeze; 02-07-2011 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think the UK is currently 6 months to delivery for the xDrive20d SE. This includes the two months it seems to take to get them from Spartanburg to a UK dealer (only 3 weeks of this is spent on a ship). Lots of people seem to get a very optimistic delivery date at the point of order that is then "corrected" back a month or two. I wouldn't order one now if I had to wait over 6 months but it depends on your circumstances as you've said. Good planning on the lease BTW

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Tsambi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Similar I Australia. I ordered my x3 in November however requested an April production to get the 30d. I was promised a delivery in June to July. I have updated car a few times including changing to m pack last week. Thankfully no additional wait time. I was speaking to dealer yesterday an in Australia we are apparently now taking orders for June/July orders for delivery about 3 months later.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

I think it's quite similar all around Europe. The latest word from my dealer now is that a new order on a 20d today has a lead time of 10-11 months.

A combination of a great car which is taking the competition to the cleaners, and also reduced capacity due to a few rough years for the auto industry means that the lead times are crazy right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

I ordered mine early November and got delivery time late august early September but when I asked dealer yesterday the delivery time now was postponed to June for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 Auto Mineral Silver

Ordered mine Nov 22nd 2010, Estimated Delivery Date at time of order, 28th Feb 2011. Actual Delivery now 16th May 2011
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbhuna View Post
Ordered mine Nov 22nd 2010, Estimated Delivery Date at time of order, 28th Feb 2011. Actual Delivery now 16th May 2011
Your dealer sold your car to someone else who was prepared to pay over the odds.

Just spreading a little paranoia
      02-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
Kevin - Florida
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 - xDrive28i

I purchased my first BMW last week off the lot of the local dealer. It was a 2011 X3 xDrive28i. The car was actually ordered by another client who never came and picked it up so they released it for sale. I happened to be out looking at new cars and stopped by the BMW dealership after looking at the 2011 Ford Explorers. I always wanted a BMW but could not fit into the 3 series or 5 series given that I am 6'8" and the cockpit size was too confining for the knees. The headroom was also tight.

I took a test drive of the X3 with the client advisor and I was in heaven. I had more legroom for my knees than my past two cars and I have great headroom even with the full moonroof. The way it drives is incredible. I love the interior and the new styling. It is a work of art. I bought it right there and then. Was in the dealership for no more than two hours from beginning to end.

The dealership only had received three X3s so far and I got one. I am very happy.
Appreciate 0