BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Does NE1 who just picked up an X3 worry about 1st year bugs?

Is it still valid that the first year (or xx months?) of a new model for a car generally has bugs that the manufacturer works out afterwards, so it's safest to stay away for the first year from a new model (or would half a year even be enough?)

Or is it that as the salesman tells me the transmission and engine for this car have been around for a bit already, so those things can't have issues anyway? But I don't buy that, since there's the electronics, and it's how the whole package that counts, which is brand new.

Isn't it being built for the first time ever in a new plant just constructed in South Carolina too?

Or that BMW would fix whatever comes up under warranty anyway, so why sweat it, and just get the hot new SAV that's hit the market?

Agonizing decisions...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I'm not very worried. It's a new line on an existing plant; that's a very different thing from construction, to technology, to workers, to managers, to suppliers. By the time mine was built BMW had produced over 6,000 other X3's, mostly shipped to Europe. That's a pretty good stretch to work out the kinks in the production line. Sometimes crap happens, but that crap is the kind of crap that happens during the first few days of operation or the kind that happens on the best lines around the world regardless of how long they've been operating.

I wasn't aware this particular transmission had been on other cars first. Could be, but I didn't factor that into my decision. I think the engine (X3 35i) is rolling out on the X3s and the new 335is.

I believe BMW is very sensitive to the impact of new product roll-outs. Unlike the experiences some of us may have had with, for instance, US manufacturers a couple decades ago, I think BMW works these things through very well. They have a lot to loose if they don't.

I wouldn't give it another thought, but that's me . . .
      02-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
JTreehorn23
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I am in the same as Lotus99 even though my co-worker who had the first of the last 5 series and had issues is constantly ragging on me. I had my E90 in the first year and it was fine. I would think that having the newest production line in all of BMW would be a big plus for quality in our vehicles.

I will be in SC later this week for pickup; I will let you know if I see anyone drinking on the job etc. during my tour
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wait, wait . . . you're saying drinking on the job is bad?
      02-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Nahoa, thx 4 the reply.

Drinking on the job is ok by me, as long as they leave a Coolbag for me in the car filled with beer!

Good points, especially that they've already built thousands of these 2011 X3's already for Europe by the time we get them. I was more concerned about any issues reported by purchasers (which you'd think months would have to pass for them to spot anything) that might result in slight manufacturing /design fine tuning thru the feedback cycle, but I'm hoping that has been done by BMW by now.

So when were the first X3's delivered to dealerships (in Europe it sounds like)? Up here, they're just showing up now.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure about the firstt deliveries in Europe; maybe someone else knows. I can say they were in Switzerland by the end of November before I moved back here.
      02-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

The engines and transmission were already being used in other BMW products also so that gives me a bit more peace of mind too.
      02-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Electronics and all the new gadgets in this car are what would worry me the most...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

I wonder about the same thing as well - it makes me wonder whether I should lease or purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

I have read on a German and Swedish forum that someone reports about noise from mirrors when you retch a higher speed. But the same people report about its different from car to car. Someone who have take delivery who has experienced that issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

There have been a few small issues that I've heard of from people having their new X3s for a few months. The most common thing seems to be wind noise coming from the mirrows at speeds of around 120-140 kph. Some creeking sounds from steering when manoeuvring at slow speeds. Where clearly the issue with the wind noise is the most common and can be adjusted by the dealer.

Otherwise, people seem very happy. Especially with the 8-speed auto in combo with the x20d.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

"I will be in SC later this week for pickup; I will let you know if I see anyone drinking on the job etc. during my tour [/QUOTE]

We were just there yesterday and they certainly did not let us drink anything in the plant! One guy asked.
Appreciate 0