BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC888 View Post
Hi All,

Is it possible to use the sat nav app on the iphone on the idrive screen?

If that possible, then there is no need to get a sat nav ?

I am not very technical, so pls help.

BTW, I have order an X3 with prof media, I am not sure whether that's necessary really if I can use the iphone's sat nav on the screen.

Thanks for you help!
You might be able to run iPhone applications in the future using the 6NR upgrade but this is only compatible with the Professional Multimedia package.

I don't think there is any way you'll be able to run an app off your phone and display it on the iDrive screen. That could open up all sorts of problems.

If you want a cheaper alternative to the massively expensive factory fitted sat nav, you could consider the BMW Portable Navigation System Plus accessory described as "The perfect combination of sophisticated functionality and cutting-edge design. The latest generation of the BMW Portable Navigation System blends seamlessly into the vehicle, with no visible wiring. The device is held securely in place, and navigation prompts are relayed over the vehicle's loudspeakers. It also includes various advanced features, such as lane assist, and 3D building and junction views."

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #24
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I have neither heard nor read anything suggesting it is currently possible to display the iPhone screen on iDrive. Don't know if that might be something coming with the new BMW iPhone application. I considered it unlikely enough that I have not counted on it myself.
BMW has shown that they will integrate "iPod out". This would bring at least the media side of an iPod/iPhone to the BMW screen. Basically it means you will get apples interface for choosing media, instead of the more than slightly confusing interface that they have now. This is supposed to be part of the 6NR upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

TrikinCurt, did you find anything along with that information about displaying media itself? Or how the interface is displayed? Is it "thrown" on the screen, or is it a "iPhone-like" interface? So from what you've read, it won't allow any ol' app to put info on the iDrive screen, just the iPod function (and perhaps similar)?
      01-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #26
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
TrikinCurt, did you find anything along with that information about displaying media itself? Or how the interface is displayed? Is it "thrown" on the screen, or is it a "iPhone-like" interface? So from what you've read, it won't allow any ol' app to put info on the iDrive screen, just the iPod function (and perhaps similar)?
There is a link to more information to be found here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=1#post8799245

I put in my order today and had them put it as an April build so I can get the 6NR option. Not thrilled, but March 15th was the best I could have had anyway.

There is a pdf on that thread that outlines it, and the last post talks about what was sent to USA dealers today. My dealer showed me that memo as well. Question is still if a non march/april car can be upgraded, my dealer thought no, but she was clearly guessing.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #27
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
Question is still if a non march/april car can be upgraded, my dealer thought no, but she was clearly guessing.
Dealers simply dont seem interested enough to learn and answer customers questions.

If they dont know an answer to a question they should say so (no BS) and then promise to find the answer (and not a BS promise where you never hear back from them)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You can definitely upgrade because 6NR is only firmware and a cradle, both available next month in the UK as accessories. See this post for more info

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471395

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #29
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
If they dont know an answer to a question they should say so (no BS) and then promise to find the answer (and not a BS promise where you never hear back from them).

You'd think that would be standard practice, wouldn't you? People who do that are the ones I go back to and I actually don't mind paying a bit more. The customer being "boss" fails distinctly in this situation. How long can one get away with giving their boss fuzzy, false answers and not following up on things that are easy to check (probably can for a long time on the uncheckable!!!)?

My current dealership did fairly well. They checked within the dealership and said they had no idea straight up. Not bad, would rather have had info, but they didn't sling any crap. They did not, however, offer to seek info from "big BMW" to help me ensure I was placing the best order for my interests.

Don't know if it really has any effect, but if anyone asks me about my cars, where I bought, etc. The reps who dealt with me right get strong recommendations and those who blew me off are also relayed as "to be avoided" in the hopes that natural selection increases the percentage of good ones. I also find a way to compliment helpful reps to managers and include specifically that this kind of help is what will bring me back to their dealership and get me to recommend them to friends (I've done the reverse a couple times, too).

It kinda feels like holding them accountable instead of just walking out and fussing about it over beers with my wife. They may scoff at me after I leave and it may be futile, but . . . .
      02-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

What is the equivalent of the US's Smartphone Integration (6NF) option in Canada ???
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #31
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Bump for any info for us Northerners!
Appreciate 0