BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #23
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
I would rather my wife be happy than obsess over sticky buttons in my car caused by mistake.
wise words that I should have listened to

I guess I didn't state this is my wife's car (that I made her buy), but I drive it once in a while and cringe every time, my car is spotless and hers is just a pit. We both work and have little time to do things like eat at home, so kids are always eating in her car and there is always a coffee by her side. After 2 years my 335 is still brand new looking inside, her 3 year old X3 looks like its 5-6 years old.

She ended up buying that electronics cleaner spray and spraying the buttons with it. She said they all worked fine now, of course that wasn't the case as a few days later the radio buttons are stuck again, however the traction control button is working properly which is awesome. I will probably take a toothbrush this weekend and try to scrub the radio buttons with rubbing alcohol or that same electronics spray.

Last edited by Mako; 05-19-2014 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
wise words that I should have listened to

I guess I didn't state this is my wife's car (that I made her buy), but I drive it once in a while and cringe every time, my car is spotless and hers is just a pit. We both work and have little time to do things like eat at home, so kids are always eating in her car and there is always a coffee by her side. After 2 years my 335 is still brand new looking inside, her 3 year old X3 looks like its 5-6 years old.

She ended up buying that electronics cleaner spray and spraying the buttons with it. She said they all worked fine now, of course that wasn't the case as a few days later the radio buttons are stuck again, however the traction control button is working properly which is awesome. I will probably take a toothbrush this weekend and try to scrub the radio buttons with rubbing alcohol or that same electronics spray.
If its the wife's car, you really have no recourse at all, in fact, if she said its fine and don't want your help anymore, I would leave it alone. If you mess it up, you will never hear the end of it. One thing I have learn over the years, if the wife is not a car enthusiast, the husband probably should not try to make her into one. A lot of females I know are happy with driving around in a ordinary car and not having to take care of it and let the kids trash it. Just like us guys who are happy with a few pair of shoes
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #25
MangoPickle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3

Tools needed: trim removal, T6 torx, Phillips screwdriver.

I had to go the extra measure by removing faceplate around buttons. Mine had a soda splash on it. So heat/cool triangles buttons and vent upper, mid, and lower buttons were sticking. It’s getting cold here in Indiana and press for heat and it climbs right to 91 degrees. You get the idea.

Using a trim tool, I first removed the center vents. They assembly comes straight out with a gentle pop. I just let the assembly dangle for the rest of the steps. Next you will need a Phillips screwdriver to remove two vertical screws in upper corners of faceplate. This will allow you to pop off the faceplate and then remove four connectors. Your faceplate assembly will be free at this time.

Faceplate separation step. You will need a T6 Torx screwdriver and remove 7 screws which hold the button assembly. I used a computer toolkit that had these tools. Once this step is complete, the faceplate will separate and expose the rubber cushion and give you easy access to the buttons. Pop out the ones that need cleaning with your favorite mild solution. Vinegar is a favorite of mine.

Beginning to end whole process will take around 3 hours.
Appreciate 0