BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
MurrayX3
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3

X3 keyfob the size of a cell phone -- any more compact options?

I'm really enjoying my 2012 X3 and have had zero problems with it so far.

However, I still can't get over how enormous the keyfob is for this car. We're a two BMW family and so I've got two large keyfobs on my keyring that will not really even fit into normal pockets in my pants.

Are there any option packages on any cars in BMW's lineup that offer a more compact keyfob? The Keyfob for our ActiveE has about half the volume of the X3 keyfob although it still a bit larger than I would prefer.

Also, do any BMW keyfobs have the ability to be programmed to open garage doors directly? For the amount of volume it takes up in my pocket I expect it to be able to do this, send text messages, have swiss-army knife functionality, or otherwise justify the volume better.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

The FXX BMW models use a larger fob than the EXX models. Currently, the 1-series, 3-series coupe and convertible, X1, X5, X6, and Z4 are the last models that use the small fob to which you are accustomed. EXX models not equipped with keyless access require the driver to place the fob in the slot before pressing the start button. FXX models do not have a slot because they all come standard with keyless start (even if not equipped with keyless access). The larger fob also accommodates a longer range transmitter. If you take a look at the fobs provided by Audi and Mercedes, you'll notice that the sizes are more or less the same. Consider it this way: the large fob is easier to find.

Maybe separate your car keys from your house keys (leave your house keys in the car when you're parked somewhere) so they're not all jangling around in your pockets all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I'm surprised there are no other options for this- nothing on Ebay.

My last car- a Hyundai Santa Fe had seperate key and remote fob. You could buy a kit off ebay to make it one flip out keyfob. BUT you had to heat open the key plastic to get the small transponder chip out- Risky!

Because BMW have tried to be clever and integrate the emergency key into the fob this just makes it even more bulky.

Maybe there's an opening for someone to produce a redesigned case, and put your circuit board from your remote into the new case.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The valet key didn't make it bigger, the smaller previous versions had the valet key in them, too.

For what it's worth, I was used to the older ones and thought this one was going to be a pain to use because of the size, as well. As I've used it, it turns out not to matter to me at all, much to my surprise. If you've just gotten yours, maybe you'll find it isn't as awkward as it seems.