BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Lost engine power this morning

I was in stop and go traffic this morning listening to loud music and having a nice ride on a beautiful morning. traffic started moving and I pushed on the gas and....nothing. since the music was up and the windows were down i thought maybe I wasn't pushing hard enough. So pushed more and realized the engine had shut off. So i coasted over to the breakdown lane and looked at my display and it said something about being in neutral..looked at my shifter and I was in neutral. How is that possible? I tried re-creating this in my parking lot and it doesn't seem possible that you can just accidentally push the shifter into neutral. So any ideas what might have made the engine shut off? I didn't check my message but will later.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

The shifter can be easily knocked into neutral if you bumped it for any reason. What you described happened to me but I was aware I inadvertently bumped the lever. Tried to duplicate the event, at very low speed as I did not want an engine overspeed event, and it did the same thing. IMO the detent for the shifter should be deeper requiring more force to move it out of position.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

OP had stated his engine lost power (ie., a stall) .. if he had knocked it into Neutral then he would heard the engine rev up.

When we test drove a 2011 N52, it had stalled during a test drive after coming to a stop (just realized I couldn't go). Could not replicate it since. Note - this was before ASS was put in. ASS wouldn't have worked if the shifter is in Neutral anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
OP had stated his engine lost power (ie., a stall) .. if he had knocked it into Neutral then he would heard the engine rev up.

When we test drove a 2011 N52, it had stalled during a test drive after coming to a stop (just realized I couldn't go). Could not replicate it since. Note - this was before ASS was put in. ASS wouldn't have worked if the shifter is in Neutral anyway.
My rev's were very low because i was in stop and go traffic and when it moved it only moved at a snail's pace so i wouldn't have experienced any over revving. Plus my music was turned up too. Strange because I don't remember pushing the shifter forward that much...my hand was resting on it. But now I wonder if I actually knocked it forward while I was at a standstill. But why would my engine shutoff though? if i had a faulty fan and the engine was getting hot because of a lack of ventilation and no fan movement, does the engine sense overheating and shut down? I say this because I think my fan noise is much louder now and wonder if something's going wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

The only explanation (and I'm not in the automotive industry, so this could be all bs...) I can think of is the lock up torque converter didn't disengage causing the stall. When I test drove, I was making hard accelerations and hard stops.. maybe i fooled the transmission somehow. Funny thing is two summers ago I was at a BMW Comparison Drive event and the Acura TL kept stalling under similar maneuvers.
Appreciate 0