BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2015, 05:21 AM   #23
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Let us not get this out of context!

http://news.sky.com/story/1556763/uk...ver-vw-scandal

"Diesel cars are niche in the US, and in most of the rest of the world, representing just one in seven cars sold worldwide. But in Europe, over half of new cars are diesels," he explained.

According to Mr Archer, 7.5 million of the 10 million diesel cars sold globally last year were bought in Europe, and the costs for manufacturers could run into billions of pounds.

Following a 19% fall in VW's share price on Monday, its stock fell a further 13% further on Tuesday amid reports it was to set aside billions of euros to cover the cost of the scandal.

Contagion spread to other manufacturers on fears they could become implicated.

However, Mike Hawes, the chief executive of the UK's Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, has signalled this is likely an isolated case.

He explained: "The EU operates a fundamentally different system to the US - with all European tests performed in strict conditions as required by EU law and witnessed by a government-appointed independent approval agency.

"There is no evidence that manufacturers cheat the cycle. Vehicles are removed from the production line randomly and must be standard production models, certified by the relevant authority - the UK body being the Vehicle Certification Agency, which is responsible to the Department for Transport.

"The industry acknowledges, however, that the current test method is outdated and is seeking agreement from the European Commission for a new emissions test that embraces new testing technologies and is more representative of on-road conditions."
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:40 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Whatever the outcome of the VW situation in the US, we still have an elephant in the room as to why many vehicles in Europe are failing to meet EU6 emission levels under real world conditions. With levels of NOx up to 9 or more times above the test limit, something is not adding up anyway.

Perhaps we shall see a real emphasis on getting the test regimes and real world driving emissions to harmonise.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #25
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

Perhaps we shall see a real emphasis on getting the test regimes and real world driving emissions to harmonise.

HighlandPete
In the EU....Perhaps! Perhaps not! With the French cheating every system that comes into being. They have 80% diesel cars, so a lot of convincing needs to happen, even though they are banning diesel cars in Paris from 2020 onwards.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #26
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I wonder whether my 313bhp 460lb/ft engine meets Euro 6 in normal driving. With all that performance maybe there's scope for tuning it for good emissions but I'm skeptical.
      09-23-2015, 04:15 AM   #27
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

I think this will be a disaster for the industry. Hugh fines, litigation from consumers, cost of recalls all means cuts to new investment and new models. The financial numbers could be very very significant for VW. I hoping BMW and others aren't mixed up in this but they need to convince me. All manufacturers quoted emission numbers for similar models are in a narrow range so you can speculate this may be a wider issue. May even extend to petrol vehicles ? Still can't believe a Company like VW can act like this
Appreciate 0