BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Booty
Enjoying it!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M

iPod help please

Could anyone advise on the following please?

I have pro nav and manage to get iPod up and running with wired connection through USB port in elbow rest cubby area. But after switching car off the iPod only plays the last song it was on! It will only play this song over and over unless I go into media and through the search procedure again.

Could anyone help with how to set this up please?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
jjax3
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I have had to do this too.

I also have weird control issues when I plug it in while it was still playing a song, then I can't see the full playlist and it doesn't let me control next/prev.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Try updating the Ipod soft 1st, and if this is still an issue switch to an Apple cable, I had problems with my classic ipod and other cable than original.
in my F10 the Apple cable is the only option to show Album Art on the Idrive too, otherwise the BMW cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Booty
Enjoying it!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M

Thanks,

I'm using the iPod cable plugged into the USB port but after turning off car and returning next day it will only play the last song it was on over and over unless I go into the media again!

I'm sure there's a way around it lol!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
jjax3
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Try updating the Ipod soft 1st, and if this is still an issue switch to an Apple cable, I had problems with my classic ipod and other cable than original.
in my F10 the Apple cable is the only option to show Album Art on the Idrive too, otherwise the BMW cable.
wait.. there's a difference between the BMW cable they gave me and one Apple supplies? Is the apple one not just a USB+1/8th" Y adapter like the BMW one?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

I have these issues too. If you remove the ipod/iphone from the car and listen to other songs and then plug it back in, it only shows the current song in the playlist.

To get full control back through the steering wheel you have to re-select the chosen song/playlist through the iDrive - everything then works fine. Annoying, but I've got used to it now.
      04-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjax3 View Post
wait.. there's a difference between the BMW cable they gave me and one Apple supplies? Is the apple one not just a USB+1/8th" Y adapter like the BMW one?
You don't need a Y cable if the Apple cable works. The Y cable is for cars without the ability to decode the digital audio signal (comes with the combox which is part of enhanced BT or tech packages). If your X3 works with the Apple cable you shouldn't be using a Y cable at all.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
Larrylotus
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty
Could anyone advise on the following please?

I have pro nav and manage to get iPod up and running with wired connection through USB port in elbow rest cubby area. But after switching car off the iPod only plays the last song it was on! It will only play this song over and over unless I go into media and through the search procedure again.

Could anyone help with how to set this up please?

Thanks in advance.
I have noticed that sometimes, after connecting my iPhone to the car, the "repeat" function is activated on the player window. It is a small oval icon, on the left side of the screen, near the top, just under the time slider bar. It turns orange when "on". There is also another icon on the right for "shuffle"

Maybe this could be the issue ?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

First some I-Pods work better than others, the best is the Nano Touch. Second turn off all controls on the I-Pod, Repeat, Shuffle, ect.
The apple cable works as well if not better than the BMW cable unless you need a chipped cable (not needed on my X3).
Now setup the I-Pod using the X3s controls. Shuffle is under the stored music controls.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjax3 View Post
Sorry for the late response, from music quality the debate is on, depending what format I use I tune standard format hence not a difference in sound quality between both Apple and BMW cable, but with the Apple cable I have the art work on display, this is not possible with the Y cable.

You find a good number for treads with detailed explanation on format if you search the 5series F10 forum, like this one http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758533
Appreciate 0