BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
skimbojones
Rep
Drives: X3 2007

Buying used 2007 X3, thoughts and opinions please!

Hi im thinking of buying a used X3 from a private seller here in australia
2007 X3 30D done 114,000km
would be my first bimmer

Seller is keen to sell, started at $28,500k and with a bit of pushing (as we were consideirng a 2010 X1 instead) is now down to $24k
They bought it for $30k last september and selling because they want a bigger 4WD

Ive read that the 2008 X3 is a better car than the 2007? seems things more likely to go wrong with the 2007 than a 2008 or even a 2006?
any thoughts on this, appreciate feedback from any 2007 X3 owners...

Also wanting to get opinions of people who own this model or similar about what to expect as far as servicing costs in the next few years...

Has full service records
presale service July 07
first service at 34,500kms - Dec 08
second service 69,000km - August 10
last service 103,000 - Dec 12

When do you think the next service will be due and at what cost on average?

Also ive never bought a car privately before so a bit concerned about the lack of recourse if there are some issues, i know there is a RACQ presale inspection service for around $300 was wondering what people thought of that or is it better to get a reputable BMW dealer service dept to look it over instead...

what are some of things i need to make are checked with this year/model, that perhaps are known at this age

another thing is the car is interstate so i need to get these things done without actually being present,makes it more risky/complicated but feel its a good buy at the reduced price

has everything i want, colour is black, dark leather interior, panoramic sunroof, bluetooth, m sport package etc, just the kms are higher than id want, was trying to go for one under 100,000km but they are up to another $10k more...

Also have done some research on extended warranties, lots of discussion about this of course on this and other forums, and ive gleaned that Allianz is the best (Australian) one to go for with top cover (of course reading the PDS thoroughly!) seems only need one major thing to go wrong in the next 3 years for it to pay for itself...

anyway looking forward to being a bit active on this forum, as it seems one helluva resource for proud bimmer owners! So thought id introduce myself and perhaps learn from the experiences of others on here!

Thanks for any input you may have!

Last edited by skimbojones; 05-28-2013 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
joylove
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI

Don't have time for a full reply.

The autobox isn't great.
The transfer box needs a fluid change at 100k.
The swirl flaps are worth reading and understanding.
Water can leak in from the blocked roof drains.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
dantre
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Don't have time for a full reply.

The autobox isn't great.
The transfer box needs a fluid change at 100k.
The swirl flaps are worth reading and understanding.
Water can leak in from the blocked roof drains.
Is the transfer box fluid change specified as part of service or is this a recommendation? Had mine serviced by main dealer at just under 100Km and no mention of the fluid change.

p.s. Hello to all! This is my first post on the forum.

dantre
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
joylove
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI

100km != 100k miles.

If you insist on getting raped at the dealer rates for the most basic of work without know what you are actually getting, I would look at the big inspection where they change all the coil packs etc to see if they do the box fluids. I suspect they don't.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
dantre
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83 2007

Yes, you are right. Thanks for the info. Will check out major service spec. Using main dealer to retain warranty. Will reconsider for next service.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
2k328ci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 M-DCT / 2018 X3 M40i

We have a 2007 X3si and its been great! It's auto and it sometimes hesitates slightly when you're driving very gingerly, but if you're a bit more aggressive, its always great. I'm lead footed so its fine for me, my wife is very light footed and she complains a little - but overall its been a great car! No other SUV handles like this does - and we test drove a lot!

The only problem we had (other than standard brake pads & rotor changes) is that our driver side seat developed a hot spot and started to burn the leather. It was 4-5yrs in and no longer covered under warranty because the seats are a wear item, but they gave us an entirely new seat bottom via "goodwill" warranty which we are happy with.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Hunley
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3

I own a 2007 X3 with the cold weather package (heated steering wheel, front and back seats), and towing package. I absolutely love this vehicle, but lately I have had the itch to get something newer. Looked at a 2010 X5 4.8, 2008 Range Rover Sport HSE, 2010 ML550 (I am a car nut - have owned a 650i triple black convertible, 2010 SL550, Jag XKR, and my wife currently drives a 2011 E350 Coupe).

Every time I do a test drive, I come away disappointed; the X3 drives like a champ - handles interstate traffic like a fighter jet, has great visibility, and if I drive it sensibly, I can get 24 mpg on the highway.

The X5 was really nice - tons of power, but terrible gas mileage, and not much more useable space (heck, it's usually just me in the X3 anyway). The Range Rover was very well-appointed, but VERY costly for repairs - which seem to occur very often, based on my buds that own them. The ML550 was surprisingly nice (have owned 3 ML350's) and powerful, but did not handle as well as my X3.

It all boils down to this (and I may be trying to convince myself that I don't need to cure my itch) - the 2007 X3 still looks great, handles like 3 series sedan, and has enough interior space with the seats down to hold anything that I need to haul (love the hitch for my Yakima bike rack).

To top it off, I can drive this thing like a bat out of hell on the interstate - changes lanes like a champ, and has great upper end acceleration, and gets decent gas mileage. I am hard pressed to find a vehicle that costs so little to own, and had all of these great driving characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
skimbojones
Rep
Drives: X3 2007

thanks for the replies
just thought id add that i got an X3
not the one i mentioned in my OP but pretty close

loving it so far
just connected bluetooth and my iphone for incar calls

now gotta figure out best way to get music from my iphone through the stereo!
and whether to replace the chrome grille with gloss black, think it will look better but not sure!

my first bimmer and pretty stoked so far!
Appreciate 0