BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Sorry to hear about all the issues, but glad you got a better quality replacement. BMW has for years been going with the low cost option for tires and not something decent like Michelins, both my X5 and 335i came with Bridgestones which were also junk and if you look at the web, millions of complaints about them - dealer replaced them on my 335i for Michelins when I had issues and it was night and day how much better the Michelins were (they are also $700 more for a set if you have to buy them, so that is why they don't come on our cars!). X5 cupped the Bridgestones in no time and they sounded like a freight train - replaced with more Bridgestones, but didn't care as was a lease and went back with the junk it came with.

Was hoping the GY's were going to at least be a little better than the Bridgestons, but sounds like no such luck!
No. No such luck indeed. I can say that I HIGHLY recommend these Pirelli P7 Centuratos. Huge improvement over the GYs.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
X3emist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M/Sport

My dealer replaced ours!!

I am a lucky one who discovered the 1 year warranty in the shrink wrapped tire warranty brochure inside the portfolio in the glove box. After taking a second nail I went to Goodyear who didn't believe me that I had a warranty. After 45 minutes on the phone with corporate they came to the conclusion that I did have a warranty but it would be a while till they could get a tire in. They suggested talking to my dealer who had them in stock.

Dealer had never heard of this either. After a half a day they called and said they would be replacing the tire and would work things out on their end with Goodyear. I was the first person at the entire dealership who had ever raised this issue and NO ONE there had ever heard of it. Maybe if everyone knew this and made them replace these tires BMW would get a new OEM tire when THEY are the ones having to mess with it.

Note- in addition to the 1 year warranty there is a 2 or 3/32 wear limit. Get the DVD out of the Tire Warranty packet and look your particular tire up so you know what the deal is.
      05-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Note- in addition to the 1 year warranty there is a 2 or 3/32 wear limit. Get the DVD out of the Tire Warranty packet and look your particular tire up so you know what the deal is.
This makes BMW's tire plan sound like a scam. If you already have a full one year warranty from the tire manufacturer, and then a pro-rated warranty down to 3/32", why pay BMW?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
X3emist
Private
Rep

Not down to

It is only good for the first either 2 or 3/32. But, I agree with you and thought the same thing. They sure can push the crap out of selling you a tire warranty and don't mention one thing about having one. Just think how many people have had to buy tires during the first year due to a puncture, blister or some other issue because they didn't know this.
      05-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
This makes BMW's tire plan sound like a scam. If you already have a full one year warranty from the tire manufacturer, and then a pro-rated warranty down to 3/32", why pay BMW?
Not all manufacturers include the 12 mo warranty. Gy just happens to be one that does.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #28
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am a lucky one who discovered the 1 year warranty in the shrink wrapped tire warranty brochure inside the portfolio in the glove box. After taking a second nail I went to Goodyear who didn't believe me that I had a warranty. After 45 minutes on the phone with corporate they came to the conclusion that I did have a warranty but it would be a while till they could get a tire in. They suggested talking to my dealer who had them in stock.

Dealer had never heard of this either. After a half a day they called and said they would be replacing the tire and would work things out on their end with Goodyear. I was the first person at the entire dealership who had ever raised this issue and NO ONE there had ever heard of it. Maybe if everyone knew this and made them replace these tires BMW would get a new OEM tire when THEY are the ones having to mess with it.

You can consider yourself very fortunate that your dealer was willing to deal with GY at all. The mandate that has come down from BMWNA to the dealerships is that they are not to get involved with this at all. We are on our own when dealing with tire waranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #29
X3emist
Private
Rep

Don't agree

How can BMW who is essentially a Goodyear dealer abscond themselves from the warranty process?
      05-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #30
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The Pirelli P7 Centurato has the same free Manufacturer Road Hazard warranty, 1 Year / first 2/32" wear then prorated.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #31
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How can BMW who is essentially a Goodyear dealer abscond themselves from the warranty process?
Exactly. That's why I started this thread in the first place. I am appalled at their indifference to our position when dealing with a bum tire. Customer service my rear end. I spoke with BMWNA myself and was put on hold and got the northeast regional manager on the phone and he told me I had to pay for the tires out of pocket and GY would reimburse me, but that BMW was not going to help in any way. You can imagine how well that went over.....
I did not end up paying out of pocket for anything. GY bought the Pirellis themselves off of tirerack. GY was outstanding in this mess. They knew they made a bum tire and bought a competitors tire to make things right. That is awesome. BMW, on the other hand, was quite the opposite of outstanding.

Last edited by JLed79; 05-24-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #32
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The Pirelli P7 Centurato has the same free Manufacturer Road Hazard warranty, 1 Year / first 2/32" wear then prorated.
Correct and, IMHO, they are a waaaaaaay better tire. Much better tirerack reviews as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #33
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
Correct and, IMHO, they are a waaaaaaay better tire. Much better tirerack reviews as well.
When I bought my 535i, I made it a condition of purchase for the dealer to replace the Good Year POS with the Conti pro-contact tires. When we bought my wife's X3 a year later, we also make sure we got the Pirelli tires instead of the Good year. I have read countless horror stories on BMW forums about these GY eagle LS2. Car and driver got thru quite a few of the GY eagle tires during their long term testing of the 535i due to sidewall bubbles. The sidewall design on these GY eagle are compromised, there are some inherit design flaws going on with them that Good year is not disclosing to the public.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #34
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
When I bought my 535i, I made it a condition of purchase for the dealer to replace the Good Year POS with the Conti pro-contact tires. When we bought my wife's X3 a year later, we also make sure we got the Pirelli tires instead of the Good year. I have read countless horror stories on BMW forums about these GY eagle LS2. Car and driver got thru quite a few of the GY eagle tires during their long term testing of the 535i due to sidewall bubbles. The sidewall design on these GY eagle are compromised, there are some inherit design flaws going on with them that Good year is not disclosing to the public.
Your preaching to the choir here brother. I will never take delivery of another BMW with GYs on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #35
herbw01
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Garage List
2013 BMW X3 35i  [7.00]
I have 3,200 miles on my GY Eagle LS2. So far no problems. I am also very careful when driving around potholes or ruts on the street knowing what I know via this forum. I wish I had pursued the same route as X Men and demanded the dealer change the tires to something more reliable. The worst part is that the car itself is awesome with great capability but the car is only as good as the tires. If the tires fail then all the performance and handling is good for nothing. Wish BMW corporate would pay attention to these all of the posts and issues with GY tires and stand behind their product. They are the ones who decided to put these crappy tires on the vehicle so they should be responsible and cover it with the 4 year 50K warranty. I am not talking about wear and tear but actual tire failure at low mileage. But I doubt it that they will do anything. It is impossible to get hold of anyone at customer service and the dealers are out there to make more money from you. I did get certificates for $30/tire from Discount so I have some comfort knowing that I will not get ripped off if something does happen to the tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #36
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbw01 View Post
I have 3,200 miles on my GY Eagle LS2. So far no problems. I am also very careful when driving around potholes or ruts on the street knowing what I know via this forum. I wish I had pursued the same route as X Men and demanded the dealer change the tires to something more reliable. The worst part is that the car itself is awesome with great capability but the car is only as good as the tires. If the tires fail then all the performance and handling is good for nothing. Wish BMW corporate would pay attention to these all of the posts and issues with GY tires and stand behind their product. They are the ones who decided to put these crappy tires on the vehicle so they should be responsible and cover it with the 4 year 50K warranty. I am not talking about wear and tear but actual tire failure at low mileage. But I doubt it that they will do anything. It is impossible to get hold of anyone at customer service and the dealers are out there to make more money from you. I did get certificates for $30/tire from Discount so I have some comfort knowing that I will not get ripped off if something does happen to the tires.
Exactly. Good luck with those tires. We drove very carefully too, but it obviously didn't matter. Also, our tire had roughly 12k on it when it developed its bubble. Hopefully yours will last longer for you. If you do have problems and need to replace them I would strongly suggest looking at the Pirellis. So far they have been outstanding. Granted I'm at less than 1K on them right now, but the feel is miles ahead of those GYs.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #37
pacecapt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
I am not for or against the GY LS2 Run-flats, but wanted to share my experience with them. I just changed the ones on my wife's 2011 528i after 41k miles and they still had some life in them (I did rotate them at 30k). I noticed a lot of road noise on the way to the tire shop then little to no noise on the way home (new Michelin Primacy MXV4 Non-RFT). I think the tires served their purpose but am now glad to have the Non-RFT's. In my opinion, I believe many of the problems people are having with RFT's is lack of maintenance and running them with low air pressure. Bottom line is ensure you service the tires regularly (I check mine once a month or before a long trip) and I believe they will last longer than usual.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #38
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacecapt View Post
In my opinion, I believe many of the problems people are having with RFT's is lack of maintenance and running them with low air pressure. Bottom line is ensure you service the tires regularly (I check mine once a month or before a long trip) and I believe they will last longer than usual.
I have no problem with runflats, just the Good Year runflats. There are plenty of BMW enthusiast in this forum who check their tire pressure religiously and still have side wall bubbles in their GY runflats. I would not blame the user here since even professional long term testers from car and driver had the same bubble problem with their GY. Lets place the blame where it belongs, on the tire company.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #39
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
I have 29,500+ miles on my Goodyear run flats with no problems what so ever. Will probably replace them with same at the end of the summer. 2011 2.8. Spirited driving..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #40
pacecapt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap View Post
I have 29,500+ miles on my Goodyear run flats with no problems what so ever. Will probably replace them with same at the end of the summer. 2011 2.8. Spirited driving..
It looks like you and I are the only ones without problems. I also have them on my 2013 X3, it only has 8k miles but so far no problems either. As far as replacing the GY, you should look at the Michelin Primacy MXV4's (TireRack Researched). I just put these on my wife's 528i (non-RFT) and added an inflator kit just in case. We like them so far and much quieter than the GY RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #41
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap View Post
Even if you never had any problem with the Good Year eagle LS2, I would never replace them with the same tires, there are many other tires that are better out there. We had the Good Year eagle LS2 on our old Audi Q5, the non-runflat version. They are horrible in the snow and rain and the ride was rough. They were pretty quiet tires, but there are quieter tires out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #42
herbw01
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X3 35i  [7.00]
What is the best RFT tire out there for a 19 inch wheel. Down the line when I have to replace the Good Year Eagle LS2, I want to make the right decision. Or should I go non RFT route? I live in Colorado and have always had Michellin All Season Primacy tires and never had any problems with them. So I need something in a all season tire whether it be RFT or Non RFT. The only worry about non RFT is the lack of spare tire. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #43
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbw01 View Post
What is the best RFT tire out there for a 19 inch wheel. Down the line when I have to replace the Good Year Eagle LS2, I want to make the right decision. Or should I go non RFT route? I live in Colorado and have always had Michellin All Season Primacy tires and never had any problems with them. So I need something in a all season tire whether it be RFT or Non RFT. The only worry about non RFT is the lack of spare tire. Thanks
The Good Year Eagle LS2 is the only all season runflat available for the 19" rims.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #44
herbw01
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X3 35i  [7.00]
So X Men has spoken.

I am not going to buy the 19inch Good Year, so will have to go with the Michellins Non RFT's-All Season or is Pirelli better? Also I would probably have to carry the BMW pump kit for emergencies. Boy that sucks no spare tire to fall back on!!
Appreciate 0