BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #23
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
At that point I have realized that even with run-flats she would not make it home. The x3 run flats in this situation would not last. It was hard for me to drive with the big steel metal stack to the bottom of the tire.
Way back yonder, my 335i had run flats. I got a big gash in the side wall and was able to drive home and to repair shop when tire came in.

FWIW I carry a repair kit with me and so does my wife. My car doesn't have run flats and doesn't have a spare. Wife's X3 has run flats. Included in the repair kit is needle nosed vice grips. I use it to pull out whatever is in the tire. I bet you could pull out whatever big piece of steel is stuck in your run flats and ride home or to your tire shop.
      04-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #24
turbo4
markster
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xdrive28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Way back yonder, my 335i had run flats. I got a big gash in the side wall and was able to drive home and to repair shop when tire came in.

FWIW I carry a repair kit with me and so does my wife. My car doesn't have run flats and doesn't have a spare. Wife's X3 has run flats. Included in the repair kit is needle nosed vice grips. I use it to pull out whatever is in the tire. I bet you could pull out whatever big piece of steel is stuck in your run flats and ride home or to your tire shop.
My wife would not be able to do what you suggesting. In my case if I pulled that thing off I would be with no air anyway. Moral of the story I told is that "best" way to protect yourself in or out of the city is to have a spare tire- run flats or not.

Run flats are more expensive and the ride comfort is night and day. If I have to buy spare tire I may as well use non run flats for a much better ride and safe money too. BMW started to listen as in current years they started offering spare tire option on X3. Many customers are just fed-up with these tires.

That is my choice after what has happened to me. Yes, small tire issues with a nail stuck in your tire, run flats will get you home. Major blow outs with a tire you be stuck, even if you have a repaint kit. Spare tire is the way to go for me at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #25
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

turbo4, you presented a problem. I presented a solution. You said you couldn't implement the solution. You're a man who knows his limitations.
      04-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #26
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
My wife drives a 2017 X3 xdrive35i. Goodyears were worn out and we replaced with Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP 245/45R19. ZP is Michelin's run flat tire.

After a 4 hour road trip (round trip) we both came to the conclusion that the Michelins provide a more comfortable ride than the Goodyears. They were cheaper too.
I went from Primacy 3 to MXM4 from Costco on my F25 (staggered setup)

Primacy 3 lasted 19K front (practically bald), 28K rear.

MXM4 (ZP) 15K on front and 6K rear.
Rear still looks new, front - barely used.
Ride comfort greatly improved.
Expensive tire, but IMO it was worth it.
Based on current wear rate, my estimate it will go for at least 50K+ miles

Perhaps there are better SUV tires out there than MXM4
But I can attest that Primacy 3 is garbage (at least for the price is sells)
Appreciate 0