BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

radio station display and presets, some help pls.

I am hoping someone here can help me simplify something I find way to complicated...

1. Is there a way to display the actual radio station freq , e.g. 100.7 on either the nav screen and most important , or better yet, the instrument panel in front of you? If not the freq, just the station call letters like wzlx?

Right now I have a mix of show names e.g. 'the big show', the current playing song or artist, (which does me little good as I know what I like by sound, not name) or call letters, etc.

I would like to just display what I know, which is the freq or call sign.

2. On the instrument panel, using the thumb wheel, it seems like there is every station available?! I would just like to see my stored stations. Is there a way to do this?

So ideally what I would see on my instrument panel is a list of say, wabc, wnbc, wcbs, or 100.1, 100.3, 100.5 .

I think what BMW has done is way too complicated to use a radio. My other cars have 2 buttons for this on the wheeel. One to change the mode, (am, fm, cd, etc), one to scroll thru the stations, and one for volume. I was able to just drive and keep my eyes on the road. The thumb wheel is not a good approach imho, you have to take your eyes off the road to view what is in the panel, a button to press just lets you cycle by pushing and not looking. Unless I am missing something and hopefully someone can set me straight. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

1. Go into Options and turn off RDS. Most of the RDS data that is displayed is crap.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
1. Go into Options and turn off RDS. Most of the RDS data that is displayed is crap.
+1

I don't believe that it's BMW fault, I believe it's what the radio station broadcast. Sometimes you get call letters, other times it's partial song titles.

Your stored button stations will be displayed on the idrive, if you are on pre-set display your stations will showup on thumb wheel display. So only put the stations you want to hear in your pre-set memory. You can use one of the buttons to store your pre-set display.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Radio Stations continue to broadcast radio station freq, name, song key words, singer names etc. You can rename the RDS per selected names by picking up one of the words broadcasted by these stations of your interest. One need not stay with the pre-programmed names. Go to options and rename them.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Radio Stations continue to broadcast radio station freq, name, song key words, singer names etc. You can rename the RDS per selected names by picking up one of the words broadcasted by these stations of your interest. One need not stay with the pre-programmed names. Go to options and rename them.
Thanks for the renaming tip! Never know that.

Now can you do anything about the crappy radio stations in San Diego?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

thanks. turned off rds, got pretty much what i wanted to see.
Appreciate 0