BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-11-2023, 12:17 AM   #1
mavericksn
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Michelin PS All Season 4 Vs CrossClimate2 for X3 xDrive30i

Hi,
I have a 2021 X3 xDrive30i, with 30k miles and due for a new set of tires.
I am trying to decide between Michelin PilotSport AllSeason 4 Vs CrossClimate2. (245/50/R19 XL 105 (Y Vs V))
---Having minimal noise even after (2 years/20k miles) of wear, would be the 1st priority
--don't really need the extra snow handling from CrossClimate2 as long as equal or within range handling in wet/rain is similar between the 2 tires
--Probably handling is better in AS4. I would take it even if that gives me 20k miles lesser treadlife than CrossClimate2. If it's 30k miles more from Cross Climate2, well then that equals the choice for me..so to speak..
--Am guessing better ride handling comes with slightly bumpy ride in AS4, which is fine, as well as not much of a responsive ride with CrossClimate2, if it has anything to offer, combination of (lesser noise + more treadlife)??

Your opinions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 12:22 AM   #2
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksn View Post
Hi,
I have a 2021 X3 xDrive30i, with 30k miles and due for a new set of tires.
I am trying to decide between Michelin PilotSport AllSeason 4 Vs CrossClimate2. (245/50/R19 XL 105 (Y Vs V))
---Having minimal noise even after (2 years/20k miles) of wear, would be the 1st priority
--don't really need the extra snow handling from CrossClimate2 as long as equal or within range handling in wet/rain is similar between the 2 tires
--Probably handling is better in AS4. I would take it even if that gives me 20k miles lesser treadlife than CrossClimate2. If it's 30k miles more from Cross Climate2, well then that equals the choice for me..so to speak..
--Am guessing better ride handling comes with slightly bumpy ride in AS4, which is fine, as well as not much of a responsive ride with CrossClimate2, if it has anything to offer, combination of (lesser noise + more treadlife)??

Your opinions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Any reason the Conti DWS06+ isn't on your radar, it is always at the top of the charts along with the Mich PSAS4? Just curious as I always thought the CrossClimates were vg but just a tad under the DWS's. Good thread as I am looking to replace my run flat summers in the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
mavericksn
Registered
Rep

I had the Conti DWS 006 on my list, but one tire shop that I spoke to, mentioned it’s too hard/rigid for an SUV.
That’s also a reason for me to start considering CrossClimate2 , given it’s classified an SUV tire by Michelin, but MPSAS4 is not.
Going with all the favorable reviews here of MPSAS4, but probably started to consider CrossClimate2.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      07-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #4
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Quote:
I had the Conti DWS 006 on my list, but one tire shop that I spoke to, mentioned it’s too hard/rigid for an SUV.
That’s also a reason for me to start considering CrossClimate2 , given it’s classified an SUV tire by Michelin, but MPSAS4 is not.
Going with all the favorable reviews here of MPSAS4, but probably started to consider CrossClimate2.
Interesting, i'll have to look into the cc2, never heard much negatives on the DWS, in fact, heard about it's greatness on the SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 04:16 PM   #5
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Coincidentally, I actually have a CC2 and PSAS4 on two cars right now, but neither of them are the X3. I think they're both excellent tires.

The CC2 is really meant for folks who will encounter snow (we use it on our Snow trip car), so you may be paying extra for capability you don't need if it's not going to see real winters. As I recall, it's priced quite high. Also, since the CC2 is a directional tire, you can only rotate front-back, and not side-to-side. This may impact overall life.

The PSAS4 is on a 540i, and it's fantastic there. I honestly cannot tell the difference between them, and the original summer tires as I do not push the car hard enough. It still feels very sharp in handling. If there's a noise penalty, I do not notice it, but the 5 series is a quiet car to begin with.

I echo others suggesting the DWS 06+. It seems to be like the PSAS4, but tuned for slightly more comfort.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 04:38 PM   #6
SpencerPJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

What I have learned from a friend in the business, Tire shops are given very nice perks for pushing certain tires for certain distributors. Do your homework and never follow advise from your tire guy. Tire rack dot com seems to also be a great source for unbiased reviews. Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted, the best reviews always are on Forums such as this
Appreciate 2
nyalpine907433.00
Artdnj394.00
      07-11-2023, 05:35 PM   #7
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Excellent comprehensive review here:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...-Tyre-Test.htm

Michelin CC2 review:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Compare/...sClimate-2.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 07:00 PM   #8
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

I'm decidedly a Michelin fanboy. I've loved my Pilot Super Sport summer tires during the spring, summer, and fall on my '16 340i RWD. On that same car, I loved the Michelin X-ice and X-ice 3 that came with the winter months. Again, loved these two Michelin tires. They're all they're cracked up to be.

My '22 X40i now has Michelin PS AS 4 on all four corners. They are absolutely *meh* in any mild winter weather, and almost useless in heavy snow. How the Tirerack community gave this tire a decent--not outstanding, I understand that--rating for winter driving is boggling.

I don't find the spirited driving in good weather all that compelling, either. They're okay. That's it. I suspect this has a lot to do with hauling around a 2¼ ton vehicle. The X3 ain't no lightweight, and it shows in corners.

A couple of notes:

--The PS AS4 has a 45000-mile tread life rating. I'm keeping these on till they wear off. I'll then reassess my tire need/desire.

--Oddly, the PS AS4 is the OEM tire of the latest Chevrolet Corvette (C8). No kidding.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 10:33 AM   #9
mavericksn
Registered
Rep

Thanks guys.
Going with MPSAS4, since I had the deal from July 4th.
Will update about my experience after I put in a 500 miles or so..
Thanks again for everyone’s input.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 11:13 AM   #10
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
--Oddly, the PS AS4 is the OEM tire of the latest Chevrolet Corvette (C8). No kidding.
Only for the base non Z51 model.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 12:00 PM   #11
ContactPatch
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Only for the base non Z51 model.

Imagine the fun, a C8 Vette in a snow-storm!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 12:48 PM   #12
smaglik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 MT

Quote:
I would disagree. I'm on my 3rd set of them on my e83, and they're incredible tires. I expect my g01 will have a set in the future at some point (I have to buy a g01 first...still figuring out which way to go on that, though). When the factory summers go on my g80, i'll get those for it, if they come in the right tire size.
      07-12-2023, 01:58 PM   #13
WifeBeforeCar
Bimmer without rage
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i | 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2022 X3 M40i   [9.50]
This has been discussed at length and most folks narrowed down to Conti DWS 06 plus and Michelin PSAS4 as the best all season high performance options. I was debating between them too and went for Conti in the end due to quieter ride based on my research. Have had them on my m40i since last fall and 0 regrets so far.

Ride quality, handling, and wet and cold performance beat the stock RFT on my last X5 out of the water. Performance is on par with the stock Yokohama Advan Sport summer tires on my m40i IMO (but obviously I have not pushed the car to the limit on a track yet).

I honestly think you’ll be satisfied with either option.
Attached Images

Last edited by WifeBeforeCar; 07-12-2023 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
Artdnj394.00
      07-13-2023, 09:37 PM   #14
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeBeforeCar View Post
This has been discussed at length and most folks narrowed down to Conti DWS 06 plus and Michelin PSAS4 as the best all season high performance options. I was debating between them too and went for Conti in the end due to quieter ride based on my research. Have had them on my m40i since last fall and 0 regrets so far.

Ride quality, handling, and wet and cold performance beat the stock RFT on my last X5 out of the water. Performance is on par with the stock Yokohama Advan Sport summer tires on my m40i IMO (but obviously I have not pushed the car to the limit on a track yet).

I honestly think you’ll be satisfied with either option.
I have the Yoko Advans too on the same wheels, so I would love to ask:

Did you notice a meaningful difference in comfort or noise when you went to the Conti DWS 06+?

I would love to soften the ride of my M40i, and am considering downsizing wheels. But if I can move the needle with only a tire swap, that might be good enough. I can’t tell if the Yokos are contributing to the stiff ride though. Would appreciate your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 08:22 AM   #15
WifeBeforeCar
Bimmer without rage
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i | 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2022 X3 M40i   [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
I have the Yoko Advans too on the same wheels, so I would love to ask:

Did you notice a meaningful difference in comfort or noise when you went to the Conti DWS 06+?

I would love to soften the ride of my M40i, and am considering downsizing wheels. But if I can move the needle with only a tire swap, that might be good enough. I can’t tell if the Yokos are contributing to the stiff ride though. Would appreciate your thoughts!
Assuming you also have both 20 inch wheels and M sport differential, tbh I did not find the ride harsh to begin with with the Yokohama. I swapped to Conti mostly because I needed all season tires. I don’t think Conti rides softer than Yokohama (I think the difference is more pronounced when you swap from run flats). That said, I’m happy with the ride quality of the Conti and it does seem to be a bit quieter (I remember Conti has some tech to make the tires quiet).
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2023, 08:56 AM   #16
ContactPatch
Major
Rep

Quote:
Assuming you also have both 20 inch wheels and M sport differential, tbh I did not find the ride harsh to begin with with the Yokohama. I swapped to Conti mostly because I needed all season tires. I don’t think Conti rides softer than Yokohama (I think the difference is more pronounced when you swap from run flats). That said, I’m happy with the ride quality of the Conti and it does seem to be a bit quieter (I remember Conti has some tech to make the tires quiet).

Some Continental tires use Conti-Silent (look at the sidewall), it's foam inside the tire and it is effective at noise reduction.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-14-2023, 02:03 PM   #17
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that confirms my suspicion that I likely need to downsize wheels to achieve what I want.
Appreciate 0