BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

Odd beeping noise?

Hey guys, so lately after I've turned on the ignition to my car, about a half mile to a mile after I've started driving, I'll hear one beep coming from somewhere around the glovebox area. It's just that once and then that's it, until I've turned off my vehicle and then get going again. I've double checked to make sure there's nothing in my glovebox that's causing this, electronics, etc. There are no other warning lights, messages, or anything like that occurring with it. Any ideas??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejryan10 View Post
Hey guys, so lately after I've turned on the ignition to my car, about a half mile to a mile after I've started driving, I'll hear one beep coming from somewhere around the glovebox area. It's just that once and then that's it, until I've turned off my vehicle and then get going again. I've double checked to make sure there's nothing in my glovebox that's causing this, electronics, etc. There are no other warning lights, messages, or anything like that occurring with it. Any ideas??
New car to you/previously owned? Net new car? Anything newly installed perhaps that might have forgotten about?

Definitely curious...sub'd
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
New car to you/previously owned? Net new car? Anything newly installed perhaps that might have forgotten about?

I bought it used with about 47K on it last May and the beeping just started this morning. It's only one beep about 2-3 mins after driving it, then that's it until the next time I start the ignition. Everything in the car is factory, nothing new installed, haven't had it serviced since the last oil change a few months back. Other than the beep, everything is absolutely fine, or seems so anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I bought it used with about 47K on it last May and the beeping just started this morning. It's only one beep about 2-3 mins after driving it, then that's it until the next time I start the ignition. Everything in the car is factory, nothing new installed, haven't had it serviced since the last oil change a few months back. Other than the beep, everything is absolutely fine, or seems so anyway.
Is this your first BMW and this is your first winter with this vehicle - I know you're in NC, but have the temps been low these last few days or weeks possibly? The reason I ask is because one possibility of the bell sound is the car will sound a chime/bell etc if the temps are at or below 3c (whatever that is in Farenheit). next time it sounds, look in your instrument cluster because along with the sound a message appears in the bottom of the cluster.

Just a guess mind you...
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is this your first BMW and this is your first winter with this vehicle - I know you're in NC, but have the temps been low these last few days or weeks possibly? The reason I ask is because one possibility of the bell sound is the car will sound a chime/bell etc if the temps are at or below 3c (whatever that is in Farenheit). next time it sounds, look in your instrument cluster because along with the sound a message appears in the bottom of the cluster.

Just a guess mind you...
It is my first BMW, but not my first German car, lol. The Germans love to alert you when it's 37°F or below, so I'm use to that, I've had my X3 do it before and even for 27° I believe. It's also been unseasonably warm here in NC, with it being almost 65° today. This beep I'm hearing is different from the low temp alert, it seems to be coming from middle console/passenger area near glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just a guess mind you...
It is my first BMW, but not my first German car, lol. The Germans love to alert you when it's 37°F or below, so I'm use to that, I've had my X3 do it before and even for 27° I believe. It's also been unseasonably warm here in NC, with it being almost 65° today. This beep I'm hearing is different from the low temp alert, it seems to be coming from middle console/passenger area near glovebox.
Hmm..ok I'm stumped! Definitely will watch the thread for the answer. Sorry couldn't help.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:10 AM   #7
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just a guess mind you...
Hmm..ok I'm stumped! Definitely will watch the thread for the answer. Sorry couldn't help.
No worries! Lol, I'm afraid I'll never figure out the answer, or if I do, it'll be after some catastrophic failure. Thanks for the ideas though!
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      01-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Could you try to record the beep?
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41909.50
      01-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
could it be your phone chirping to let you know its connected to the bluetooth in your car?
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #10
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post
Could you try to record the beep?
That'll be my next step, I'll attempt to get it in video tomorrow and upload it, on certain days for work (like today) I take my VW Rabbit for longer journeys
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #11
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Update: took it out tonight to dinner and... the beep is gone. Didn't happen at any point tonight. Hopefully it's gone for good?? Still really weird, hoping it wasn't a sign of anything. I've had issues with the radio turning to an AM station even though it was on a Sirius station before I shut the vehicle off, only happens 1 in 10 times it seems. I also use to have issues with when turning my volume knob, it would switch my radio to my Aux input. That last issue hasn't happened in a while though. I'm really worried and pretty sure I'll have some fun with electronic failure in my future.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #12
vinodrk.1st
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Garage List
2013 BMW x3  [0.00]
good to hear, in future if it occurs again, a visual inspection inside the glove box would help. Some screws/bolts might have gone loose.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #13
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodrk.1st View Post
good to hear, in future if it occurs again, a visual inspection inside the glove box would help. Some screws/bolts might have gone loose.
Alright, I'll definitely take a look. But something like that would cause an electronic beep to occur?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #14
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Is it actually a few minutes after starting the car, or something around the same time every day (that happens to be shortly after starting the car because you have a pretty routine schedule)?

My dad bought a used car a decade ago, and there must have been a digital wristwatch dropped into an air vent. It'd go off for 60 seconds at the same time every day for years until the battery finally died.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #15
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Huh?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #16
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Is it actually a few minutes after starting the car, or something around the same time every day (that happens to be shortly after starting the car because you have a pretty routine schedule)?

My dad bought a used car a decade ago, and there must have been a digital wristwatch dropped into an air vent. It'd go off for 60 seconds at the same time every day for years until the battery finally died.
Quote:
Quote:
Huh?
No, it was typically about a minute or two after starting it up, and it only lasted about a day or so, it's completely gone now. It was just one solitary beep and then it was gone. Not quite the same pitch, but very similar to the sound a smoke alarm makes when it's batteries are dying.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #17
Cunsar
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Did this ever start happening again? This started to happen to me today and I can’t find any information on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 06:46 PM   #18
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 n52

Garage List
So, I realize this is over 2 years old, but I have an F26 and have this exact same issue, so it’s definitely BMW-specific (not a radar detector or dropped wristwatch!). I’ve had the car for 2 years and I’m fairly certain I’ve heard it in the past, then it stopped for awhile, and now it’s back again and has happened twice today, both times exactly as OP states, about 2 minutes after driving away from my driveway. It’s not the usual BMW chime, it’s like a faint radio beep and I swear it comes from the door speaker, possibly all speakers, I’m just obviously next to the drivers door. I’ve read plenty about the 3 beep hourly alarm but it’s clearly also not that because it’s just one beep and I’m not sure I’ve ever even seen the hour alarm in newer models anyway. Did the OP ever shed light on this?
Appreciate 0