BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2023, 12:53 PM   #1
Klaudm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Msport F25

To CIC or Not to CIC - That is the Question!!

Hi All,

I recently bought an android system to put into my Oct 2013 BMW X3 F25 and was told it is CIC.

When the auto electricians went to fit it, they said it was defo NBT. There is loads of info out there on how to identify which system you have, but bizarrely, it all fitted well, but the OEM had no signal.

I called BMW who confirmed I had a CIC Mid Variant? 16 pins with 8 pin socket?

Does anyone have any idea whether it is NBT or CIC and what I can do with the android system which is CIC?

Is there a fix, adapter, wire, anything? The LVDS all connected apparently, just the long press of the menu button turned up 'No signal'.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 06:20 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaudm View Post
Hi All,

I recently bought an android system to put into my Oct 2013 BMW X3 F25 and was told it is CIC.

When the auto electricians went to fit it, they said it was defo NBT. There is loads of info out there on how to identify which system you have, but bizarrely, it all fitted well, but the OEM had no signal.

I called BMW who confirmed I had a CIC Mid Variant? 16 pins with 8 pin socket?

Does anyone have any idea whether it is NBT or CIC and what I can do with the android system which is CIC?

Is there a fix, adapter, wire, anything? The LVDS all connected apparently, just the long press of the menu button turned up 'No signal'.
Maybe previous owner upgraded it?
      03-20-2023, 10:22 AM   #3
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I had a non-Nav 2013. When I ordered my box, mistakenly provided with a CIC model which uses the LVDS connectors with less pins than the new one. That did not work. Had to mail it back for the NBT version with the newer connectors.

The problem on the X3 apparently has an interim version with NBT connectors but CIC user interface. Typical BMW!

Also sadly found out that my factory headunit is locked to the small screen. Unable to upgrade to the wider versions.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 12:15 PM   #4
BMWvsEverybody
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25

My March 2013 F25 has CIC. I believe a lot was changed in April. I think the head unit was upgraded to NBT as well. I know the PWG was upgraded to electronic (EWG) at that time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0